Which petrol lawn mower is reliable and easy starting

Posted 7th May 2023
Looking for a petrol lawn mower thats reliable and easy to start aroun £200
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    When buying a lawnmower you are buying an engine with a blade so buy the best engine you can.
    If it doesn't have a Honda, Subaru or Briggs & Stratton engine you are pretty much wasting money as you are buying rubbish if it is a nom brand. You may need to revise your budget or look 2nd hand however to not be buying a disposable item.
    Having bought aluminium decks in the past I always look for steel decks now as they take more abuse and can be repaired. If you hit a stone on an Alu deck the stone will go through it. Not with Steel - just oil it at the end of the season.
    Note that E10 will wreck lawnmower carbs so ensure you run a stabilizer or avoid E10.
    Toolstation have some hawksmoor lawnmowers at good prices. Petrol and cordless from around £160-250. I think they come with a 2 year manufactures guarantee.
    They do other makes too. Worth a look at them.
    Carbs are not sealed so they gum-up and block the jets if left for a while. If overwintering, many would drain the carbs down or run the engine out of fuel. Fuel stabiliser also helps in this regard to prevent this problem. Some even put a drop of oil down the sparkplug hole to stop the piston ring sticking if left a long time.
    If there is some fuel going to the engine to the point that the engine splutters, a product I have found that works wonders is 'seafoam'. I used it on an old outboard before removing the jets and they came out like new. It is slightly expensive but worth it for certain instances. If fuel can get through the jet, seafoam will clean it imo.
    We had a petrol mower but it was difficult to start, smelly.

Also, had to remember to get fuel and the additive

and the fuel can go off, causing problems

Now have an electric mower with rechargeable batteries - problem solved

much lighter too

very easy to start (edited)
    We have a Hayter self propelled and a John Deer ride on. We have a lot of grass. We also have an old mulching mower - Viking. I love the Viking.

We've had Honda in the past - depends if you want to cut in the wet (the Viking will cut in any weather) and how much grass you have.

Edit - I didn't see your budget when I read this - you should look at any of the sheds as you'll find something around that price which will last a couple of seasons. Mountfield are good at that price point. If you have a lot of grass then look for the biggest cut diameter as it will save miles of walking! And if you can afford it, upgrade to the self propelled model. A lawnmower is too heavy to push. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for your reply

My wife has to cut the grass these days and we been using the wilko petrol mower but after 2 years it wont start.

Might buy the one with the briggs and stratton engine and see if it last loger than our wilko mower.
    Saw this thread last week and it reminded me to give my mower a run after its last run 12 months ago. I only use it once a year when the lad that mows my lawn is on holiday and he uses his own kit. Its a cheap one with an unbranded engine so I wasn't hopeful. As it happens with fresh fuel it started 2nd pull. It did the same last year. So hats off to my cheap machinemart.co.uk/p/e…wn/ its a hell of a lot more reliable than my previous Briggs & Stratton powered mower.
's avatar