Advice on my son's first phone

Posted 4th Aug 2023
Hi all

I'm about to buy my son's first phone and want to ask for other people opinions on the subject.
Android or Apple?
Budget for an android around £100,for an Apple more but don't want to get him an expensive phone he might lose or break.
He's turning 11 on 1st if march and this would be a birthday present.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Apple is great as you can do "find my device" and keep an eye on your sons location. We use it for an elderly neighbour so we can find her if she has any issues.

I am sure android has this. But could be tied to specific brands.

For exact models I couldn't give recommendations for low budgets. (edited)
    Android also has it on all models and is active by default
    Android. Apple is only worth it if you have the whole ecosystem already. Android will always be ahead in terms of tech and ability
    Well done in waiting until he’s 11 before getting him his first phone! Respect!
    Author
    Looks like he's getting a Samsung A14 😁.Thanks everyone
    You're son would mainly be into playing games on his first phone. The Samsung mid range phone will be great.
    hotukdeals.com/share-deal-from-app/4174937

I suggested the Samsung A14 from Argos for this person and KodaBear then provided an eBay link with a code making it even cheaper. Maybe have a look at that? Not sure if the code is still valid but eBay offers do come up every now and then.

Although, if his birthday is next March, that's quite far away and there are always new phones being released so all depends on how urgently it's actually needed. Could wait to see what's available nearer the time then make the decision but ultimately the choice is yours.

As for iPhones, perhaps an SE but they're not cheap or a slightly older like new refurb maybe? (edited)
    Author
    His birthday is in September,mine is in March 🤦
    I'd get an Android just because of price and you're less trapped in the ecosystem. Most of the features on Android will work cross platform, eg you can location share on Google Maps even with iPhone users. Whereas if you get an iPhone you'll probably be pestered for whatever the new iPhone is in 3-4 years due to the current one dying, and the cost will be way higher. Least with an Android the phone's way cheaper. Also android's are less popular to be stolen too so in my opinion safer.

I'd probably go for something like a Samsung A14 or one of the Chinese brands, just get something reasonably recent so you know you'll get a few years of software updates and the modern apps will keep working.
    Go for Samsung A range phones. It's their midrange and perfect
    My son was 11 when we bought him a Xiaomi 11 lite. It was new for about £200. I wanted him to have a fairly decent phone but didn't want to pay the astronomical prices for Apple as it was his first phone. He's had it for coming up to 2 years this Christmas. (edited)
    I'll be giving my boy the pixel 6a, which I got for £135 after trading in a old iphone 5s, for him to use on his travels to and from secondary school which he starts from september...
    is this trade in still available? I have an old 5s, turns on but turns back off within 5 seconds
    For what it's worth, I'd get something at the lower end of the budget range for a first phone. 

We did that for my 11 yo at xmas  Even with a case its picked up scratches.  I see it as a training phone for when he's ready to have a more expensive phone.  He'll start year 7 in Sept and that's when peer pressure ramps up so I'm thinking the original phone will have an 18 month lifespan before  we upgrade in May next year.

Went for the Nokia g3 for 100 quid from argos. 

Most other parents i know have gone the hand me down route or the budget route with the occasional brand new iphone
    I bought my lad an Oppo A57s for his 1st phone. It was from giffgaff like new and only £69 with a possible £37.50 back from quidco if it pays out. Cheap and cheerful
's avatar