Amazon.de - UPS called asking about customs clearance info

Posted 25th May 2021
Hi, I had a call from UPS this morning about an Amazon.de order, they asked for my email address then they sent this:

This e-mail is from UPS Brokerage at East Midlands Airport. We are responsible for completing UK Import Customs formalities on your behalf for UPS shipments. We are contacting you because we need more information from you in order to complete Import Customs formalities on a current shipment.

Please provide Import Customs clearance instructions for the shipment referred to in the subject line of this e-mail. A copy of the documents we hold relating to this shipment is attached to this e-mail for your reference.

As a matter of urgency, please provide us with your clearance instructions; including

- Please confirm total value

I’ve never had anything like that and I buy from Germany a couple of times a month. It’s a legitimate email from UPS I just wondered if anyone else has had this? The parcel was already delivered.

Amusingly the value they are asking for was on the commercial invoice they attached to the email…!

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you already have the item id say it's highly suspicious. Usually if you owe fees you pay before you get your item..

Also think the seller should have provided this info (edited)
    Had the same from ups charging me VAT on a returned item. I think you'll find they'll return it to Germany in 14 days if you don't pay. Ups are useless, still reclaiming double VAT after 5 months.
    What is the value of the item and did you pay vat at point of sale? If not then looks like they want vat and commission,sorry they call it admin fee. You may have been lucky with other items in past months
    Author
    justanothercid25/05/2021 09:29

What is the value of the item and did you pay vat at point of sale? If not …What is the value of the item and did you pay vat at point of sale? If not then looks like they want vat and commission,sorry they call it admin fee. You may have been lucky with other items in past months

€370 + 10 p&p. I paid import deposit fee of €75 so I should be covered
    75 looks like the 20% VAT component only. It is possible there is actually a Customs duty on the item as well. But normally, Amazon covers everything. Please check your Amazon invoice for details.
's avatar