anyone else have issue with Lycamobile ? Lyca mobile

Posted 30th Sep 2023
Update 1
Update: Lyca Mobile have reinstated the Cyber attack statement on their website 05/10
Lyca Mobile have shared an update on 06/10
can’t make calls, or use internet, says my balance is 0 mins and data on the app
Community Updates
Statement from Lyca Mobile

Following investigations carried out as a result of disruption to our network, it has become clear that Lyca Mobile has been the victim of a cyber attack.

We first became aware of issues over the weekend, which were preventing customers and retailers from accessing top-ups through our channels. It also impacted some national and international calling. The issues affected all Lyca Mobile markets apart from the United States, Australia, Ukraine and Tunisia.

Our focus on our customers is paramount. We are working around the clock to ensure that the impact on them is minimised.

Our number one priority is ensuring the safety and security of our customers’ data, and we are urgently investigating whether any personal information may have been compromised as part of this attack. We are confident that all our records are fully encrypted, and we will keep customers updated on the outcome of our investigation as we work with our expert partners to establish the facts.

As part of our rapid incident response, we have engaged 3rd party technical expertise to complement our internal expertise. Additionally, we are in close contact with the relevant regulatory and law enforcement authorities in each of our impacted markets, ensuring we fulfil all our obligations.

The mobile telecommunication services affected by this attack have now been restored in all of our markets. There are some operational services that are yet to be fully resolved, but we are working hard to restore all functionality across all countries as quickly as possible.

lycamobile.co.uk/en/…nt?
Notification to customers (lycamobile.co.uk)
Another statement from Lyca today.
Few key takeaway
  • There was a data leak, which may include your name, address, dob, partial credit card, encrypted password, encrypted full credit card number, etc.
  • Number porting is affecting, no PAC for anyone, you not leaving us until we let you.
  • Change your account password, if the password is used elsewhere, change that too, even though our policy is to encrypted passwords, baddies might still have the actual password.
New Comment

802 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    from vodafone forum
    fyi

Unfortunately, all ports in and out of LYCAMOBILE will fail to complete because their servers are offline. EE had given an ETA of 72 hours for pending ports to complete, but LYCAMOBILE told one individual that their servers wouldn't come back online until the 16th October at the earliest. Realistically, we are going to be without service until sometime next week at the earliest!
    Might be resolved for me.
    Can receive calls from voxi to Lebara..
    Oh on net calls route but off net don't. (edited)
    finally port is complete...
    congratulations!!
    Now that my 6 months has come to a end, I texted 'PAC' to 65075 but it returns a text saying "Sorry, your PAC request for mobile number xxx has failed. Please try again later or contact customer service".
    I've tried contacting customer support via their live chat and they said they cannot assist and I Should try later by sending a text to the original number!

Anyone had this issue before?
    Should be working now, just sent a SMS to 65075 and it worked for me.
    Author
    It's a cyber attack confirmed

New message on Lycamobile website:
    Following investigations carried out as a result of disruption to our network, it has become clear that Lyca Mobile has been the victim of a cyber attack.

We first became aware of issues over the weekend, which were preventing customers and retailers from accessing top-ups through our channels. It also impacted some national and international calling. The issues affected all Lyca Mobile markets apart from the United States, Australia, Ukraine and Tunisia.

Our focus on our customers is paramount. We are working around the clock to ensure that the impact on them is minimised.

Our number one priority is ensuring the safety and security of our customers’ data, and we are urgently investigating whether any personal information may have been compromised as part of this attack. We are confident that all our records are fully encrypted, and we will keep customers updated on the outcome of our investigation as we work with our expert partners to establish the facts.

As part of our rapid incident response, we have engaged 3rd party technical expertise to complement our internal expertise. Additionally, we are in close contact with the relevant regulatory and law enforcement authorities in each of our impacted markets, ensuring we fulfil all our obligations.

The mobile telecommunication services affected by this attack have now been restored in all of our markets. There are some operational services that are yet to be fully resolved, but we are working hard to restore all functionality across all countries as quickly as possible.
    Lebara
    Interim update on my Lyca to Lebara switch -

Got the PAC and initiated the switch on Thu, Oct 12. Lebara gave me Oct 16 as the switch date, not Oct 13. Received a text from both Lyca and Lebara a few hours later confirming that the process has been initiated. Lebara said it will happen any time after 9am.

Checked the phone around 10am today and sent a test text to another number. It showed up with the number I want to keep. Responded and was delivered. Made a call, it worked. Receiving a call failed from Vodafone, O2 and Three.

When I recently switched from Asda to Three, it took a few hours and a couple of restarts for everything to start working properly. I am going to give this the rest of the day and postpone the worries to tomorrow.

My next update will probably be tomorrow. Sooner if everything is fine.

- FYI, since you had asked for an update.
    i find that port doesn't fully complete until 2pm and has dragged on until 6pm, and yes, i start to get some service before full service, so it seems to be done in stages on the port day. fingers crossed everything will be up and running for you by the end of the business day today.
    Got my number successfully ported out to Talk Home Mobile. Good riddance to Lyca.
    www.lyca*mobile*co*uk/en/update
    HUKD now bans Lyca, please remove the * to get the URL

Another statement from Lyca today. Few key takeaways
    • There was a data leak due to the attack, which may include your name, address, dob, credit card, encrypted password, etc.
    • Number porting is affecting, no PAC for anyone, you not leaving us until we let you.
    • Change your account password, if the password is used elsewhere, change that too, even though our policy is to encrypted passwords, baddies might still have the actual password.

Additional note: last 4 digits of CC and expiry date is leaked in plain text. Full CC number is leaked in the encrypted form. I am not sure why the encrypted CC leak is low risk, but encrypted PW leak is more dangerous. Are they trying to detune the risk? (edited)
    Oh it's an attack now is it? Thought it was 'technical issues'?
    Had a text from EE -

Hello from EE - We are experiencing a few delays across the industry at present with ports involving Lyca Mobile. Lyca suffered a cyber ransomware attack and are having to rebuild their servers. EE MNP team are tracking the files and routing updates needed to complete your port and will continue to do so until completion.
    so it was ransomware.
    it's taken 9 long days but finally, my number has gone through
    Which provider did u change to
    Not back up enough for me to be able to get a PAC code yet either by text or on the phone to them. @Lyca_Mobile_CS you wouldn't illegally withhold PAC codes would you?...
    I take it nobody has been successful in getting a PAC code?
    Will it be a drama getting a code once the plan has expired? My kids runs out today and I've stuck a Lebara SIM in his phone.
    When the plan expire, assume no renewal took place, it will then fallback to normal PAYG. If you manage to top up, you will then be able to use the credit.

In terms of PAC, I have been trying since the weekend. No success so far Some guy reported above they got the PAC code BEFORE the failure, but Lyca failed to hand the number over to the new operator. So really, before it is all back to “normal”, there isn’t much we can do excepts being extremely frustrated!!!
    Author
    I have a PAC ......

Further to the review posted on Trustpilot; we sorry to know that you want to leave Lycamobile and want to get PAC.

As per the request please find the PAC
    I have now also had an email following my Trustpilot review.
    They asked me to confirm some commonly called numbers and say they'll pass the request to the PAC team.

I was switching over to a Lebara deal before all this happened (my Lyca 6 month deal ended on 1/10) so am already on my new sim. If they send me a PAC I'll be attempting a port out immediately. Intrigued to see if it will work.
    I requested a PAC at the weekend, used it at 11am on Wed, port out date was given as today (was surprised at the wait a little, usually next day) All completed today, all fine. Can make calls, receive calls (from same network and different) data, texts etc all working fine and showing under my original number I wanted to transfer. (Lyca > Lebara)

Thanks for all the tips and advice in the thread!
    That's good for you. Mine isn't going so smoothly. As of this morning Lyca promptly removed my plan from their account despite the fact that the port in hasn't completed to Talk Home Mobile yet and I've no status on when that will happen. Lyca are a total law unto themselves .
    some good news! so I had ported two numbers to Lebara - one of the numbers has started receiving calls from non-lebara/vodafone callers
    not sure if it has to do with Oct 16th deadline or the call 📞 I made to Lyca CS today 🤷🏻‍♂️

hoping the other numbers gets back on track soon!!!
    I noticed problem on Saturday morning, when I couldn't make a call. Through trial and error, I figured out I can't send text message either, and account access was down on the app and their website too.
    On the positive side, Internet was working, and I was able to receive text and calls.
    I can't say if the problem started on Saturday, or before that, because we hardly use phones to make phone calls anymore.
    It stayed like that for the whole weekend. And today, things gradually get back to normal, but I still can't call a landline number, and account access is flaky at best.

Failure like this is not acceptable, regardless of how much the service costs. So I decided to move my business somewhere else. Then it comes to the shocker, PAC request failed!!!! I hope I will be able to get my number back, and I will be really skeptical to use their service again, going forward.
    my husband called 0345 number today that he has called a few times before and he got a message to say that the number dialled is an incorrect number. i called from my lyca mobile and same message, so i called my dad's landline and it was fine. when you a landline, do you get any message?
    The issues you have been having may be connected to:

ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml

I can't find an official statement link from Lyca to confirm or get further details or advice for customers.

* found an official statement link, added link to opening post (edited)
    Oh it's definitely connected, and it's amazing that only ISPreview has been informed of this cyber attack.
    Finally managed to get out ! I've ported to Lebara everything seems to have moved across thank god.
    Nobody on EE, O2, 3 or fixed line can call me.
    Finally my port in was complete, from Sep 29th to Oct 19th...
    mine was Oct 3rd to today, Oct 19th.
    Has anyone actually managed to get their number from Lyca to port to another network yet?

My new network are saying Lyca won't release numbers (I have a PAC code etc.) this has been going on for a while..
    Activated a Lebara sim and filled in the form. Port out is tomorrow. Will report back if it works.
    Author
    Yay ! My port has gone through ok , im free finally
    Which provider did you port to
    it may be that until the security issue is resolved, lyca can not allow any port as it could be criminals stealing people's numbers and trying to port out to other mobile providers, in which case you will lose your number permanently! so lyca may need to lock down and stop numbers leaving as they can not be certain if it is actually the customer that has requested the PAC code or the cyber criminals and their mates. i know this doesn't really help us but at least it may prevent the criminals stealing our number and taking control of it forever.

when i couldn't get my PAC code from lebara because they had a system issue for a day or two recently, they had to ask me to confirm personal details, of which there isn't much with these PAYG providers, to make sure that it was me that was the actual owner of the number and not someone who had stolen my number. (edited)
    Not a great outcomes for hotukdeals to create an 'exclusive'deal which lured thousands of people to these cowboys who now have comprehensively hacked and had customer data exposed.

Just goes to show, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. When the average decent value SIM only plan is about £10/month, why do people need tosign up to garbage like Lyca, just to save a few quid? A bottle of soda is the difference per month between Lyca and any other half-decent MNVO. (edited)
    Lesson learned for me. I'm fed up being dissatisfied with cheap broadband and mobile companies. I've just got an EE SIM and soon as I can get a PAC, I'll be moving my number over to that. (edited)
    Requesting PAC should be working now, just sent a SMS to 65075 and it worked for me.
    Can confirm. Received PAC code
    ported over to EE,text in / out working,data working,phone out working (showing my long term no. hurrah) but. incoming calls not connecting yet
    Same here
    Finally finished the porting from Lyca, actually it was only a couple of business days late so I don't really understand the message

Unfortunately your port request for your number XXXXXX was delayed and took longer to complete.
    Due to this you will receive £8.00 on your account.
    Please see help.smarty.co.uk/en/…ion for further details on your rights to compensation.
    Thanks,
    The SMARTY team

Now I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with £8 credit on a contract that's unlimited data, calls and texts
    you can send pictures and smileys on SMS (edited)
    same with me...I can't login in my online account either.
    I did manage to call customer service and told me they know about the issue and are working on it
    They changed their website and app a couple of days ago. I couldn't get into the app but if you wait long enough on their website, it did let me in.
    My bundle has just renewed at 19:50 and I been charged as I should have been done on Saturday night so it looks like it’s back to normal. App still not working but when I do *137# everything comes up as renewed now how do we get compensation (edited)
    You got me excited after seeing your post. But no, PAC request still doesn't work
    My autotop up failed and now they have removed the bundle from the account and no service, Luckily for me I used it as a second sim
    that is so weird as someone said their auto top-up failed a few days ago, but it went through yesterday and he got his bundle back, so it is very strange that yours has failed when his has worked!
    Anybody with lyca have issues getting a PAC code or getting through to customer service?

When i text PAC it just gives me a message back saying sorry your PAC request has failed for the following number

I tried live chat and calling 322 from my lyca mobile and both say

Thank you for contacting Lyca Mobile. We are experiencing a high chat volume due to the current technical difficulties. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disruption. We are working hard to resolve these issues, and we appreciate your patience
    Think there's a lot of us in the same situation
    Pac codes are working for anyone who was waiting.
    Text Pac to 65075 (edited)
    Still getting error message
    Does anybody actually have working data on their device yet?

Would look to port my numbers but I need EE, so Lebara is out. Other EE MVNO is 1PMobile that is my other option!
    RWG mobile use EE too,might be worth a look,have them in a spare phone,works as good as EE here in the east of england
    I also requested to be ported out of Lyca today and so far not great.

Outgoing calls show the number I want to keep
    Incoming Calls non existent as it says number is invalid

Lets see what happens by end of day.

As of 4pm on 11 Oct 2023 - Everything is now working for me.. I can finally receive calls and text to my number and outgoing calls and texts are also fine. (edited)
    Where did you port to?
    Mine seems fine. Number is ported and lyca is shut down. Calls and data work fine
    Just curious - who did you port to? Also, what time did the porting complete?
    Anyone got a working port out? - I ported on Monday from Lyca to ID and I can make calls and data, and send and receive SMS - and I can receive calls from same ID network - but if a non ID number calls it says number is invalid!
    Same here, excepts I don’t have incoming texts
    Have ported to Lebara (partially). Can send texts, make calls with my old number but don't receive any inbound calls. Hoping it will be resolved at some point today
    Are you able to receive incoming texts? Also - if someone else called you from another Lebara line, does it work?
    My port from Lyca to 1p went fine this morning. Everything works as it should. I was dreading it after reading comments above. Hope everyone's issues is resolved quickly.
    my Lyca esim is not working, calling my number advises you have dialled an incorrect number, crossing fingers
    got this from Lebara Hello,

Thank you for contacting Lebara Customer Care. Hope you are doing well.

This email is with regard to your complaint regarding SIM services post transferring your SIM to Lebara.

We have checked the issue with our support teams who have confirmed that the problem is caused due to ongoing porting issues from Lyca.

Please refer to the article below for more information.

ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml

We request you to kindly contact Lyca Customer Service for further information.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know and we will be happy to help you.

Kind Regards.
    Lebara Customer Service Team
    been telling me for last two weeks , don’t contact Lyca, we will sort it out for you!!
    I've been trying to setup a number transfer to Lyca.  What a horrific chew-on.  I've just given in and gone for Giff Gaff instead.
    still waiting for port complete for my primary number … got to lyca CS after 50 mins with no updates on my registered complaints
    They offered me £20 for my complaint. I've requested a deadlock code to escalate to cisas. 17 days of varying issues and hours spent chasing up their 'support'.
    I am one of the unfortunate ones whose 45 p offer, taken off of HotUkDeals, could not be auto-renewed due to the timing of the renewal coinciding with the 'technical' problems they had faced. I finally complained on TrustPilot, their cs & their complaints whilst also raising a case to Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS).

Also went for the PAC route to 65075.

This morning, got called from their Help Desk with an offer to apply a one month's free 6GB package which i allowed to be applied ... finally getting connected back to the outgoing calls & data !

I am looking for the best value for money phone network to jump to, if they can't increase the free bundle beyond the month now ...
    I have moved to 1pMobile. As my package did not get renewed due to the technical issue
's avatar