BBC iPlayer no longer works on Android. Can anything be done?

Posted 5th Sep 2020
A relative has a tablet running Android 4.4.2 and since August, the BBC iPlayer requires version 5 or above. The tablet is quite old and doesn't seem to be able to upgrade the Android system, so is there anything that can be done, such as downloading a previous version of the iPlayer? If that is possible, is it easy and safe to do so? Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Use the BBC iPlayer website ?
Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a popular tablet their might be a newer custom rom, otherwise something like a Fire HD 8 for £50 (on offer) will do. Or as above the website might work.

You could also try SPMC which is a kodi fork and see if the iplayer add on for that still works on the old versions, 16.4.2 is the last version to support android 4.4
spmc.semperpax.com/
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 5th Sep
Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn off updates though
If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for it. It is unlikely to be the latest Android version but even if it is Android 6, it will still be a good update.
wayners05/09/2020 15:01

Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn …Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn off updates though

Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS updates, or the iplayer updates.
Any idea which apk i should choose, or how to decide which one.
jco8305/09/2020 14:15

Use the BBC iPlayer website ?

Good shout - we'll give it a go.
dcx_badass05/09/2020 14:24

Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a …Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a popular tablet their might be a newer custom rom, otherwise something like a Fire HD 8 for £50 (on offer) will do. Or as above the website might work.You could also try SPMC which is a kodi fork and see if the iplayer add on for that still works on the old versions, 16.4.2 is the last version to support android 4.4spmc.semperpax.com/

Thank you, I'll suggest that .
bozo00705/09/2020 16:29

If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for …If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for it. It is unlikely to be the latest Android version but even if it is Android 6, it will still be a good update.

Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS though. Might be usefull for other family members.
Pandamansays05/09/2020 18:29

Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS …Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS updates, or the iplayer updates. Any idea which apk i should choose, or how to decide which one.

You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. That means open playstore and tap on the apps you want to update only. Not iplayer...

As for which version to install. The last one that works with your version of android. I can't say if this will work but worth a punt. If you look through the update notes you should see the requirement and when your version was not supported anymore
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Sep
wayners05/09/2020 18:52

You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. …You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. That means open playstore and tap on the apps you want to update only. Not iplayer... As for which version to install. The last one that works with your version of android. I can't say if this will work but worth a punt. If you look through the update notes you should see the requirement and when your version was not supported anymore

Excellent - thank you
Pandamansays05/09/2020 18:33

Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS …Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS though. Might be usefull for other family members.

Depending on your technology age - Lineage is the successor to Cyanogenmod, which you might have heard of before.
I find this really annoying, my tablet is old but much better than a lot of newer ones, But just because it is no longer updated I can't use a lot of apps.

I appreciate things progress but it's annoying to have a perfectly good bit of hardware but unable to use the software you have always used.
Could you not run it as a web page ? (does it need flash still...)
Post a comment
@
    Text