BBC iPlayer no longer works on Android. Can anything be done?

Posted 5th Sep 2020
A relative has a tablet running Android 4.4.2 and since August, the BBC iPlayer requires version 5 or above. The tablet is quite old and doesn't seem to be able to upgrade the Android system, so is there anything that can be done, such as downloading a previous version of the iPlayer? If that is possible, is it easy and safe to do so? Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Use the BBC iPlayer website ?
    Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn off updates though
    Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a popular tablet their might be a newer custom rom, otherwise something like a Fire HD 8 for £50 (on offer) will do. Or as above the website might work.

You could also try SPMC which is a kodi fork and see if the iplayer add on for that still works on the old versions, 16.4.2 is the last version to support android 4.4
    spmc.semperpax.com/ (edited)
    Author
    jco8305/09/2020 14:15

Use the BBC iPlayer website ?

Good shout - we'll give it a go.
    Author
    bozo00705/09/2020 16:29

If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for …If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for it. It is unlikely to be the latest Android version but even if it is Android 6, it will still be a good update.

Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS though. Might be usefull for other family members.
    Pandamansays05/09/2020 18:33

Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS …Thank you, I looked but not there, didnt know about the whole lineage OS though. Might be usefull for other family members.

Depending on your technology age - Lineage is the successor to Cyanogenmod, which you might have heard of before.
    I find this really annoying, my tablet is old but much better than a lot of newer ones, But just because it is no longer updated I can't use a lot of apps.

I appreciate things progress but it's annoying to have a perfectly good bit of hardware but unable to use the software you have always used.
    If it was a very popular tablet, check if Lineage OS had a custom ROM for it. It is unlikely to be the latest Android version but even if it is Android 6, it will still be a good update.
    Author
    wayners05/09/2020 15:01

Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn …Apk mirror site and install older version of iplayer is worth a punt. Turn off updates though

Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS updates, or the iplayer updates.
    Any idea which apk i should choose, or how to decide which one.
    Author
    dcx_badass05/09/2020 14:24

Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a …Android 5 was released in 2014 so not a huge amount you can do. If its a popular tablet their might be a newer custom rom, otherwise something like a Fire HD 8 for £50 (on offer) will do. Or as above the website might work.You could also try SPMC which is a kodi fork and see if the iplayer add on for that still works on the old versions, 16.4.2 is the last version to support android 4.4spmc.semperpax.com/

Thank you, I'll suggest that .
    Pandamansays05/09/2020 18:29

Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS …Thank you, when you say turn updates off, do you mean the Android OS updates, or the iplayer updates. Any idea which apk i should choose, or how to decide which one.

You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. That means open playstore and tap on the apps you want to update only. Not iplayer...

As for which version to install. The last one that works with your version of android. I can't say if this will work but worth a punt. If you look through the update notes you should see the requirement and when your version was not supported anymore (edited)
    Author
    wayners05/09/2020 18:52

You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. …You will have to turn off all automatic updates and only manually update. That means open playstore and tap on the apps you want to update only. Not iplayer... As for which version to install. The last one that works with your version of android. I can't say if this will work but worth a punt. If you look through the update notes you should see the requirement and when your version was not supported anymore

Excellent - thank you
    Could you not run it as a web page ? (does it need flash still...)
    Radio4 are trailering a new series called 'Right to Repair', where they bemoan the amount of electronic waste generated, per capita (U.K. is among the highest), and enquire why more of it can't just be in continuous use, by the application of 'mend and make do'. The most electronic waste which I generate is caused by ........ THE BBC!
    I have had to bin several fully functioning Android tablets because the BBC IPLAYER has had updates issued by the BBC, so that the Android tablete will no longer function with the latest version of iPlayer and you can't upgrade Android to a newer version operating system, as it is firmed into the chip. As that was the main use for my tablets, they get binned and a more up to date one has to be purchased. Whilst I applaud my old mate, Jon Drori, for commissioning the first BBC websites, I wish that he could get them to revert to their old version of iPlayer. I have (for some feature films) recorded from the Beeb and converted the .avi files to .mp4 files, so they can be viewed on old Android tablets but this is a lot more fuss than just clicking on 'Download' in the iPlayer.
    david.williamsonxwQ25/04/2021 17:34

you can't upgrade Android to a newer version operating system, as it is …you can't upgrade Android to a newer version operating system, as it is firmed into the chip.

As suggested last year in this thread that's not the case. As long as drivers are available for the hardware you can install a newer version.

The root of the issue often is the question of who pays for writing the code to support new stuff on old hardware. Things change over time, and things tend to change rapidly when something is new* so to make current stuff work on old devices you have to have provide multiple versions of it.

(*Android Tablets came about in 2011 and Android 5 launched in 2014.)

That can be hardware manufacturers providing drivers for old hardware to run new OSes. It can be OS manufacturers running old systems alongside the new ones or it can be app developers doing the same.

But someone has to put those resources into it. Personally I'd say the app developers are the last people you should expect to bear those costs. They generally have the smallest operations and least knowledge and that approach will produce the most duplicated effort.
    I am an apple user but have considered dipping my toes back into the waters of android use.

What is the average length of android support for android devices?

Are some manufacturers better than others?

Currently the iPhone 6s (release 2016) and the ipad air 2 (release 2014) runs the latest ios

not sure how this compares to Android.
's avatar