Dolby Atmos install questions.

Posted 13th Aug 2023
I'm about to make some changes to our lounge, mainly lighting and decorating, However at the same time I'd like to add an audio upgrade to my TV. So my question is should I be considering installing speakers into the ceiling etc, or opting for something free standing. My budget is around £2k (not including install cost as that's just my time) or am I being unrealistic?
Recommendations welcome.
Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    i would ask this question over on av forums
    Forget anyone who says surrund is a 2000 thing. If they were right, we would be having just soundbars at the cinemas now.

£2K is very possible budget to do an audio upgrade with Dolby Atmos or DTS X. I do not know how many speakers/channels you are looking for. So, I am gonna assume you want a 5.1.2 set up. That means you get -
    1. 3 speakers in the front (left, right and centre)
    2. 2 as surround (by your side or just behiind you)
    3. 1 subwoofer for low frequency audio
    4. 2 speakers on the ceiling.

1 and 2 above makes the "5" in,5.1.2, 3 aboves makes the "1" 5.1.2 and 4 above makes the "2" in 5.1.2. 5.1.2is the minimum you to get 3D audio with height channels.

There are a couple of ways to get those height channels - you can install speakers on your ceiling or you can use upfiring speakers that would reflect audio from the cielings back to you.

Best results are had with installing speakers. But if running cables are daunting, you can go for upfiring-reflective-speakers. One such set is Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2. Richer Sounds are selling them right now for £699 to VIP members. (Being a VIP member is easy and free - you basically tick a box to receive newsletters from them.)

Next you need an AVR to receive Dolby/DTS signals, decode them and drive these speakers. Denon X1700H is quite capable and gets usually priced at around £420 at Peter Tyson eBay store. Keep an eye for deals here like this one (expired now).

So, that's £699 + £420 = £1119. Way less than your $2000 budget for an audio upgrade. Obviously, I made a lot of assumptions about your requirements and chose the most basic and simplistic configuration. But this would deliver what you are looking for.

With the money you saved, you can go and buy a new TV . 2022's Samsung QD OLED S95B 55" TVs are excellent. You If you can get the right deal - you can buy this TV for around £1100 - as seen from this deal (expired).

Or, if you don't want to spend that money on TV, just buy me few beers . Just kidding!

On a serious note though, I hope you got a chance to read this post before you went off to buy the "modern" soundbar or a set of Sonos "speakers!"
    Indeed. The house we bought 2 yrs ago has wiring in for 5.1

The house we sold has a cinema room and a 5.1 set up in living room and vuyers requested the wires be left for them to install a system.

Most houses we looked at (we looked at a lot for various reasons (3houses fell through) had surround set ups and some even had full ethernet cabling back to a central cab.
    Both my old neighbours had a full surround set up and my only neighbour now has a full surround set up.
    Those claiming its 20years out of date really don't have a clue.
    Author
    I think you need to increase a bit your budget . The last time that happened I went from looking for a mini convertible for a bit of fun in the summer with a budget of £1k, then spent £12.5k
    I am all about saving money when I can, but my system is now more than 5 years old and still going strong. But I spent 1.5k on the amp alone (if I remember it right) and I wanted another one more expensive than that! (edited)
    there's a number of ways to install atmos speakers. you don't need ceiling speakers, you can have upfiring speakers that bounce the sound off the ceiling. you can get speakers that fit on your existing front speakers. you don't mention your current amp/speaker setup, but starting from scratch and buying amp and speakers you can get a 7.1 setup with proper speakers, not the little tiny things. have a look at the richer sounds site and maybe pop in the store or a local AV store and ask them to show you what you get get for the money
    Upward firing are generally rated as pretty rubbish compared to downward firing.
    £2k should be enough but amp prices have sky rocketed since covid.

Get the best amp you can afford, something like a Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha. Make sure it has the amount of inputs and outputs you require. Mine for example has 2 x HDMI out so I can use it on the TV and projector. I also have 2 x sub outs.

I have a 5.1 Monitor Audio vector system i bought second hand for a bargain price and ive then upgraded over time, the sub to a REL HT1205 and the center with a MA C150 Silver.

I'm now looking at getting some atmosphere speakers which I will probably buy second hand and probably be MA CT ceiling speakers.
    Not that it will be of any use to you but I wouldn't bother unless you enjoy annoying neighbours or if you live in a detached house. I've had sound systems and you just can't enjoy them without being the asbo neighbour. Surround sound is a very 2005 thing to buy
    Author
    Thankfully I live in a 1930s detached house so I don't have to consider my neighbours. However I do have my grandson stay lots aged 9 who sleeps above.☹️
    From reading the comments I think I need to go and visit somewhere that can go through it with me in terms of a complete package, or whether I'd be better for simplicity to go down a new soundbar route with additional speaker, such as Sonos.
    I have a 5.1.4 atmos setup in my home (4 ceiling speakers). As others mentioned, the main expense is the a/v amp.
    The other challange is running the cables from the ceiling down to the amp. I think you need to increase a bit your budget, if you want to go for it. Or, at least, if you want to go for it, place the ceiling speakers and buy the other speakers and amp later on. (edited)
    Many bargains can be had second hand.

Personally I'd get a new amp and second hand speakers.
    Does 2K include all the speakers and a sub as well as the Amp, I would probably up the budget a bit.

In audio quality terms at least the three front speakers should be freestanding. Can probably get away with cheaper surrounds and atmos speakers though. (edited)
's avatar