eBay selling high value items

Posted 17th Mar 2022
I have just sold a high value item on eBay, the person that has bought this hasn't any feedback and they only joined eBay in 2021
Worried in case I get scammed any advice please
Community Updates
New Comment

103 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Maaark23/03/2022 11:19

Useful info in this thread. (And thanks for updating us with your progress …Useful info in this thread. (And thanks for updating us with your progress @angie555! I'm hoping this all works out for you.) Thought I'd covered all bases but scams linked to returning an apparently faulty item are not something I'd previously considered. Thanks @mrwulf.If anyone has tips for avoiding returns linked scams, I'd love to hear, but think I'll look into other options now for selling an £800ish item.

The eBay community is quite useful for latest scam advice / prevention.

Preventing it happening is incredibly difficult. The returns scam, it seems Royal Mail are now trying to combat with the GPS co-ordinates.

Sending an item, either return or selling, I start a video showing the item itself, it's condition, serial numbers and then boxing it, then sealing the bag showing the label on the front. Log ALL serial numbers and make a notice of this on your listing. If you are selling a mobile for example, state all serials are logged and should the phone go missing, it will be barred.

Do not ship to a different address, always ship to the address eBay states.

Check your ebay returns address and make sure it is right. I bought a £900 iPhone and had to return it. The chaps return address was completely wrong and eBay said just send it. I messaged the seller and he sent me a new label. If I had sent it and Royal Mail had attempted delivery, eBay would have automatically refunded me and the seller would have been item and £900 down.

Oh...always ship UK only (edited)
    It's easy to spot a zero feedback user and think oh, they could scam me.

When buying high end electrical goods on eBay, do your research. Sift through the sellers feedback, set it to 12 months and have a good read. Some sellers have the same few people leaving feedback.

If you're buying a high end phone, check where it is coming from. If it is a Cash shop, be careful.
    One of the most prevalent mobile phone scams is to buy or take out a contract on a high end phone, sell it or cash it in and then claim down the line on insurance. Seller gets money off the original sale, replacement handset off insurance and the buyer is left with a barred phone. If you buy a phone off eBay that is on a contract, you do NOT own that phone.

Ask the seller for serial numbers and IMEI's. Run a checkmnd on the serial and imei no's. It costs £1.99 but saves you a hell of a load of hassle. It will tell you if it is stolen, barred or on asset watch. A lot of the networks stick their phones on AssetWatch until the phones final value has been cleared on the contract - it's their asset at the end of the day.

See if the seller can provide the original receipt. Some insurance companies will not insure a phone without this. It also helps with warranty claims should you need one. Apple are generally pretty good though.

When paying via PayPal you get 180 days buyer protection. After that you're on your own.
    mrwulf23/03/2022 11:47

The eBay community is quite useful for latest scam advice / …The eBay community is quite useful for latest scam advice / prevention.Preventing it happening is incredibly difficult. The returns scam, it seems Royal Mail are now trying to combat with the GPS co-ordinates.Sending an item, either return or selling, I start a video showing the item itself, it's condition, serial numbers and then boxing it, then sealing the bag showing the label on the front. Log ALL serial numbers and make a notice of this on your listing.

yes I've noticed you can add videos aswell as photos now on eBay. I also use a UV marker pen on my items in case they swap it.
    People warned and advice was ignored... someone now has a free PS5 by the looks of things.
    angie55522/03/2022 08:06

I sent my item special delivery on the Friday to arrive by 1 the next …I sent my item special delivery on the Friday to arrive by 1 the next working day.Today is Tuesday and my buyer still hasn't got it.Looking into Royal mail how to claim they want receipts of the item.To replace this item would cost nearly £400 but I didn't pay £400 for it so it looks like Royal mail would only compensate me for what I paid for it.

what does the tracking say?

deleted155317222/03/2022 08:14

what does the tracking say?

it may still arrive today and if it does and the buyer is happy, claim for late delivery with royal mail and they will refund the postage back. (edited)
    angie55523/03/2022 10:12

Returns labels scam what is that

Buyer asks to return an item and you send them a returns label.
    Buyer modifies label to a different address nearby and sends an empty box.
    Royal Mail deliver / attempt delivery and update the tracking to say so.
    eBay buyer protection auto refunds buyer as Royal Mail tracking says delivery attempted / delivered.

I have noticed recently Royal Mail are now displaying GPS mapping where they attempt delivery on Special Delivery. Must be to try and get around this scam.

angie55523/03/2022 10:12

Returns labels scam what is thatExactly this is what I don't understand …Returns labels scam what is thatExactly this is what I don't understand it's a holiday park with static caravans the communication with the buyer yesterday my understanding is it goes to a central office probably the park manager but I don't understand because there's no PO boxPerhaps there is a PO box but nobody has signed for itHe could quite easily claim he hasn't received it or even the manager could steal it.I organised a redelivery yesterday this time absolutely filled up everything for the address so perhaps this is the redelivery and perhaps they just dumped it at the PO box on the caravan siteI just hope it is with him and I just hope that he is going to be honest or that the manager hasn't stolen itI have taken a photograph of all the serial numbers on the back of the box of the itemIn regards to claims from the the Royal mail yes I will only get but I paid for it even if I sold it for a higher price which I did Royal mail would not compensate me for this so therefore I would have lost a couple of £100Exactly this is what I don't understand it's a holiday park with static caravans the communication with the buyer yesterday my understanding is it goes to a central office probably the park manager but I don't understand because there's no PO boxPerhaps there is a PO box but nobody has signed for itHe could quite easily claim he hasn't received it or even the manager could steal it.I organised a redelivery yesterday this time absolutely filled up everything for the address so perhaps this is the redelivery and perhaps they just dumped it at the PO box on the caravan siteI just hope it is with him and I just hope that he is going to be honest or that the manager hasn't stolen itI have taken a photograph of all the serial numbers on the back of the box of the itemIn regards to claims from the the Royal mail yes I will only get but I paid for it even if I sold it for a higher price which I did Royal mail would not compensate me for this so therefore I would have lost a couple of £100

Go on the Royal Mail website and type in the post code he has given you. It will list you the addresses available under that post code. (edited)
    I never understand these threads. You can only get scammed if you send out stuff before you get money and do not use postage service with tracking and delivery proof, but why would anyone for the love of god do that especially for expensive item? If you keep proof of posting & delivery they cannot do chargeback either so what's it matter if they have 0 feedback if they're good for the money?
    My business is half ebay based with over 260k feedback. In recent years ebay has shifted to be more protective of their sellers.
    If you deliver the goods to the address on the order and obtain proof of delivery then EBay seller protection will support you against item not received claims.
    The grey area is if the buyer opens a return and either returns an empty box, or a different item etc etc. it takes time to sort out, can be stressful and there is no guarantee you won’t be out of pocket. From over 20yrs trading on eBay my rule is simple, sell volume at small prices and nothing at high prices, this way you protect yourself as any loss due to fraudsters is small and you learn to move on swiftly knowing that the majority of your customers are decent people.
    From what you have said, you are worried you could be scammed. If you are concerned now before sending the item, then think how you will feel while the goods are in transit and for a few days after receipt until feedback is left or the returns period closes. If I were you I would cancel the sale, you may lose the 30p transaction fee but that’s nothing compared to the stress and worry you will cause yourself if you send the item. Then re advertise as collection and cash only or find an alternative way to sell your item.
    Not again, why o why sell on eBay.
    You are asking to be scammed.
    Sorry but there are threads like this on her nearly every day.
    Your next post will be I think I’ve been scammed.
    angie55518/03/2022 00:30

I did put it on Facebook marketplace not even one enquiry.I think I'm …I did put it on Facebook marketplace not even one enquiry.I think I'm going to cancel this sale.

Go with your gut , it’s your item don’t send it
    I believe the buyer can still leave you negative feedback if you cancel the sale? Might be something to think about when you tell them the reason for cancelling.

When you relist, maybe stipulate that buyers must have at least 100 feedback etc. Whatever will make you comfortable as a seller.
    Unfortunately, experienced scammers can find ways around the checks and get free items. I try not to worry about it.

I just recently had an inexperienced scammer try his luck. First, he claimed he never received the item. I showed him the delivery note with his signature. After claiming it wasn't his signature, he then tried to open an item, not as described LOL.

eBay sided with me and will likely ban the account. Just be a good seller and do everything 100% by the book and you'll usually be fine.

99.9% of buyers are genuine and just want the item they purchased. The reason you see so many threads about scammers is that people will only post about negative experiences regarding eBay. Why would I come here and say ' buyer paid for his item and left good feedback?
    angie55522/03/2022 11:39

I have just read they open the box and return it to the sender there's no …I have just read they open the box and return it to the sender there's no return address in the box.My address is on the outside of the box and I did put return address so hopefully they will return it to meSo I wouldn't get the full value of the item then

You have to provide evidence what the item cost you and I think they also refund the postage on top. You lose any profit between what the item cost you and what you sold it for.

You may get lucky if you submit your eBay/PayPal invoice as evidence of item value. (edited)
    angie55522/03/2022 18:21

Just organise redelivery having, updated the address hopefully he will get …Just organise redelivery having, updated the address hopefully he will get it Thursday he is really upset that he's had to wait all this time.I will be refunding the postage, I'm thinking I should also refund some of the money back as a gesture of Goodwill,. What do people thinkBy the way I'm not a business seller just sell the odd items here in there

Just refund the postage and chill, you're worrying about this too much.
    Author
    I did put it on Facebook marketplace not even one enquiry.
    I think I'm going to cancel this sale.
    Cancel the sale immediately. Add a note to your auction buyers with less than 10 feedback score should contact you first. If anyone with less than 10 feedback puts in a bid, cancel it and bar them from bidding again.
    I've sold on ebay over 15 years as a business seller. I never even look at a buyers feedback, follow procedure, be smart and you will not get scammed. Most people on here have no idea and all you will hear is your going to get scammed
    Author
    sjs3119/03/2022 09:33

Besides being wary, and checking buyer's feedback (especially his/her …Besides being wary, and checking buyer's feedback (especially his/her "feedback left for others"), if it's a high value item won't it need more than just "Signed For"/Recorded Delivery which only gives £50 insurance? For high value stuff, use R.M. Special Delivery, it has £500 (or more protection) and is tracked..EDIT - oops, just re-read and realised buyer has no feedback. In which case, I'd have cancelled the transaction, using the 'problems with their address' option. Inform them politely of your decision, refund and "block" them for the time-being.

I've got the Royal mail special delivery where compensation is £500.
    After having various communications with the buyer I think he is ok.
    He actually sounds decent obviously doesn't use eBay too often when I spoke to Ebay they reassured me that everything would be fine
    Hopefully the item will be delivered today I paid for next-day delivery.
    Once he has received it and is fully satisfied I will update everyone
    Thank you to everyone for your concern and advice so far (edited)
    deleted278710522/03/2022 11:53

You have to provide evidence what the item cost you and I think they also …You have to provide evidence what the item cost you and I think they also refund the postage on top. You lose any profit between what the item cost you and what you sold it for.You may get lucky if you submit your eBay/PayPal invoice as evidence of item value.

You should be able to use the ebay sale as proof of value.
    Author
    sjs3122/03/2022 19:24

Fair enough to refunding postage for the delays, but have you actually …Fair enough to refunding postage for the delays, but have you actually received the cleared payment into your a/c yet? (you said previously it could take 4 days!)I'd suggest waiting until after the buyer has received the item (and confirmed all ok) before making any additional offers for a goodwill refund

Just looked on my eBay page it does say estimated delivery 24th of march which is this Thursday so if he gets it this Thursday I'm still within the time frame
    Payment has cleared.
    Maaark23/03/2022 11:19

Useful info in this thread. (And thanks for updating us with your progress …Useful info in this thread. (And thanks for updating us with your progress @angie555! I'm hoping this all works out for you.) Thought I'd covered all bases but scams linked to returning an apparently faulty item are not something I'd previously considered. Thanks @mrwulf.If anyone has tips for avoiding returns linked scams, I'd love to hear, but think I'll look into other options now for selling an £800ish item.

Just sell it to CEX if it’s something they take, you’ll get a few ££’s less but at least you won’t lose postage if it genuinely gets returned, lose the item if scam or lost or the money and the item if fraud (and not covered by PayPal).
    This is just full of red flags for me, but I am in a better position as I live locally to Berrow (Yes it is Berrow and not Burnham on Sea)!

As someone else has elaborated the issue is not each caravan is a separate address, so the likeliness this could be stolen after Fred Bloggs signs for it is higher than the norm, and I would not want to try and fight an item not received case. Royal Mail will not be interested as they delivered it to the right address.

Secondly, best case scenario is the buyer is a worker who is living on site, as that would make sense why he has asked for it to be despatched to this address. If he is not an employee, I wouldn’t of sent it. No Caravan site in the area has 12 month residency, so all the owners of the statics would of had better options for deliveries.

I gather it is a PS5 digital, I don’t understand why this would of been purchased, what is he going to tether it to….his mobile phone?? I am sure he won’t be able to connect it to a sites public wi-fi!!

Lastly, I have just checked within 10 miles on Facebook Market place and there are 4 listings for a PS5 digital all for less money that are available……so if he was so desperate for it, why buy from EBay??

I really hope I am wrong and just being over paranoid, but somehow I don’t think so.
    angie55528/03/2022 14:46

Again offered the buyer a refund, wants the itemWhy not go to eBay, can …Again offered the buyer a refund, wants the itemWhy not go to eBay, can buy it cheaper than what i charged for it. He could get it quicker also.I don't understand

Save the hassle just cancel the sale after getting the item back
    angie555:
    I will of course photograph all the details on the back of the box,
    Another thing that has me slightly worried eBay are suggesting that his address could be incorrect.
    So would I send to the address he's provided or the one that eBay are suggesting.
    He has listed berrow in Somerset, they have said it should be Burnham-on-SeaThe address is a holiday park

@ fiestasteve44

My business is half ebay based with over 260k feedback. In recent years ebay has shifted to be more protective of their sellers.
    If you deliver the goods to the address on the order and obtain proof of delivery then EBay seller protection will support you against item not received claims.
    The grey area is if the buyer opens a return and either returns an empty box, or a different item etc etc. it takes time to sort out, can be stressful and there is no guarantee you won’t be out of pocket. From over 20yrs trading on eBay my rule is simple, sell volume at small prices and nothing at high prices, this way you protect yourself as any loss due to fraudsters is small and you learn to move on swiftly knowing that the majority of your customers are decent people.
    From what you have said, you are worried you could be scammed. If you are concerned now before sending the item, then think how you will feel while the goods are in transit and for a few days after receipt until feedback is left or the returns period closes. If I were you I would cancel the sale, you may lose the 30p transaction fee but that’s nothing compared to the stress and worry you will cause yourself if you send the item. Then re advertise as collection and cash only or find an alternative way to sell your item.

I'd take fiestasteve44's advice. (edited)
    Not worth doing mate, use facebook marketplace and get paid in cash
    Well dont ship until payments gone through…
    Never sell on eBay I’ve been scammed like 3 times and sold about 25 things on there I won’t bother
    Always send tracked and signed for and always take photos of packaged item before posting .I know most people want to keep postage costs to the minimum but it's the sensible thing to do if your selling online especially high value items .
    I never trust 0 feedback or less than 5 positive feedback rating either or buying or selling .
    I regularly check sellers or buyers feedback . Never post items till payment cleared.
    I always check the address is correct by sending a message for buyer to confirm postal address as listed in buyer details .I have been caught out by old eBay addresses not updated or they have moved and not updated address.
    You can report the buyer something that's new to sellers. If they done scammed before then ebay will look into it.

angie55519/03/2022 08:35

I spoke to eBay about my concerns she said to me when we post high value …I spoke to eBay about my concerns she said to me when we post high value things the parcel company open the package to check there's nothing dubious in there and then repackage it so the parcel company will know that I have sent this high value item just hope they don't steel it, ?After having various communications with the buyer I think he is genuine I even know his home address now other than the address where he's living at the moment.

Okay good luck then I've been a private seller on and off for around 18 years and this happened to me once during that time. It has put me off selling anything expensive though now I am making a claim with royal mail as we speak. (edited)
    Author
    deleted155317219/03/2022 08:36

You can report the buyer something that's new to sellers. If they done …You can report the buyer something that's new to sellers. If they done scammed before then ebay will look into it.Okay good luck then I've been a private seller on and off for around 18 years and this happened to me once during that time. It has put me off selling anything expensive though now I am making a claim with royal mail as we speak.

Hope you are successful with Royal mail
    angie55519/03/2022 08:40

Hope you are successful with Royal mail

Thank you me too
    angie55519/03/2022 09:54

I've got the Royal mail special delivery where compensation is £500.After …I've got the Royal mail special delivery where compensation is £500.After having various communications with the buyer I think he is ok.He actually sounds decent obviously doesn't use eBay too often when I spoke to Ebay they reassured me that everything would be fineHopefully the item will be delivered today I paid for next-day delivery.Once he has received it and it's funny satisfied I will update everyoneThank you to everyone for your concern and advice so far

Fair enough, hope it's all goes well. Good luck!
    probably trying to circumvent ebay fees
    Author
    My sale has already been posted, message from eBay after I posted the item my payment could take 4 days to clear,
    I do feel that everything will be fine.
    angie555:
    I sent my item special delivery on the Friday to arrive by 1 the next working day.
    Today is Tuesday and my buyer still hasn't got it.
    Looking into Royal mail how to claim they want receipts of the item.
    To replace this item would cost nearly £400 but I didn't pay £400 for it so it looks like Royal mail would only compensate me for what I paid for it.

When I've sold an item and sent via Royalmail I sent it second class recorded. The buyer said they never received but I had to give rm 10 working days to find the item. I'm guessing you will have to wait less with special delivery. The only thing I showed them was the ebay listing showing how much I sold the item for it took 7 months but I got my money back and the original postage cost. No idea if the guy got the item and was pulling a fast one or if rm messed up I was never told.
    Author
    woodey1222/03/2022 08:20

angie555:I sent my item special delivery on the Friday to arrive by 1 the …angie555:I sent my item special delivery on the Friday to arrive by 1 the next working day.Today is Tuesday and my buyer still hasn't got it.Looking into Royal mail how to claim they want receipts of the item.To replace this item would cost nearly £400 but I didn't pay £400 for it so it looks like Royal mail would only compensate me for what I paid for it.When I've sold an item and sent via Royalmail I sent it second class recorded. The buyer said they never received but I had to give rm 10 working days to find the item. I'm guessing you will have to wait less with special delivery. The only thing I showed them was the ebay listing showing how much I sold the item for it took 7 months but I got my money back and the original postage cost. No idea if the guy got the item and was pulling a fast one or if rm messed up I was never told.

Could well be Royal mail there's always problems with Royal mail promising next-day delivery when I pay extra money and they just make excuses.

deleted155317222/03/2022 08:14

what does the tracking say?it may still arrive today and if it does and …what does the tracking say?it may still arrive today and if it does and the buyer is happy, claim for late delivery with royal mail and they will refund the postage back.

My item is still stuck in central London this has to go to Burnham-on-Sea he paid me extra to have it delivered the next day posted it Friday afternoon just before the last post he should have had it Saturday morning or Monday morning.
    I haven't had any message from my buyer yet he's got the tracking number so he can see it still in Central London.
    I will claim for late delivery get a refund hopefully from Royal mail then I can refund my buyer the postage.
    But on the plus side, it does give the time for my bank payment to be cleared

Problem is eBay have sent the payment to an old bank account that are no longer with.
    I hope the payment finds its way to my new bank account I did the switch thing some months ago so they know the new bank I'm with. (edited)
    angie555:

Could well be Royal mail there's always problems with Royal mail promising next-day delivery when I pay extra money and they just make excuses.

Yeah it's only been a couple of days really so I would still expect Royal mail to deliver.
's avatar