Flight delays and who compensates

Posted 12th Jul 2023
When we got to the airport a few days ago, we found out our flight home to UK was delayed home over 24 hours, so I booked a flight home with another airline as I didn't have enough presciption medication which I need to take daily. I did take extra with me, but it was either misplaced or went missing during my trip.

What compensation am I entitled to? I am aware of the EU rules for compensation, which are £350 per person, but can I also claim for the flight home I booked as it was quite expensive. I do have travel insurance, but I am unsure whether I claim from the airline or travel insurance company.

Has anyone experienced this issue- Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Those saying you won't get the flights home you booked money back are wrong. My mum recently got delayed for around 24 hours so she booked a different flight home and she got all that money back. Plus all her money back for the original flight plus compensation. Be warned though the airlines don't like telling you the genuine reason why. She had to fight tooth and nail to get something in writing with why the flight was delayed
    Author
    Thanks - that's good to know.Did she claim everything through the airline, or did she have to claim some through travel insurance? (edited)
    You will offered a option to rebook, a refund or voucher plus the compensation if it was the airlines fault.

You're unlikely to get or be able to put a claim for the flight booked home.

Regards your travel insurance it varies and you need to read the small printing (edited)
    Author
    Thanks so it's possible to get a refund for the flight home we didn't take plus the statutory compensation. I couldn't see that in the EU guidance
    You really should have got in touch with the airline before booking alternative flights to see what they would offer. Your hands are tied now , they perhaps could have booked you a flight home at mates rates with another airline. All you can do now is put your case to them and see what they say. If it's a budget airline you could be in it for the long haul. Keep all evidence you have, the airline should have given you a letter about the delay and a copy of your rights if it's in the EU.
    Author
    I told their representatives that I was going to try and book a flight home as I had no medication. They made no offer to help me book a flight. They said if I was unsuccessful booking a flight at the airport to go to the hotel, they had booked everyone for the delay. (edited)
    I'd contact the airline and see what they say, if not ring your insurance and deal with it that way
    Author
    Thanks, I considered that, but I wanted to know what my entitlement was before I contacted them as airlines can be difficult to deal with. They made no mention of compensation from them in their email even though I know we are entitled. They just said to contact insurers
    What was the reason for the delay?
    Author
    Multiple reasons, initially technical, then crew out of time, then weather
    Glad to hear your home
    Could you have no popped into a local pharmacy to get a little top up for the day? I'm sure your GP or doctors could have forwarded an email as proof you needed the medication
    Author
    That's a good idea, and I didn't consider it as I only had limited time to get a new flight (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants