Groups

Freeze on day of purchase... Question ?

Hi Guys

Why on fridge Chicken/Ham bakes form Coop or Tesco does it say to freeze on day you buy...

My fridge or theirs for a few days should make no difference and still under use by date...
    Before putting in my freezer etc....

Any ideas ?

maxmix

6 Comments

I've never took any notice of the freeze on day of purchase and i'm still here :thumbsup: best before dates are also only really a guide

Original Poster

Thanks....

I think it must so you dont go by the Use by date, then freeze etc... (If it has turned etc)

maxmix

I guess it depends on how long it was between the 2 fridges and what temperature it got upto? Not sure to be honest
    I buy reduced stuff all the time and i'm not dead yet. I have uncooked chicken in the fridge which went out of date today. I will eat that tomorrow

rule of thumb for freezing any food is to freeze as fresh as possible. I guess the notice on the packet is just to reinforce that

Banned

It's because when you freeze something on the 'use by' date and then defrost it you have to eat it immediately after it has defrosted whereas if you freeze something with 5 days to spare you should have a few days after defrosting it to eat it!! Hope this makes sense!

Banned

Jimbo289;5953870

It's because when you freeze something on the 'use by' date and then … It's because when you freeze something on the 'use by' date and then defrost it you have to eat it immediately after it has defrosted whereas if you freeze something with 5 days to spare you should have a few days after defrosting it to eat it!! Hope this makes sense!

+1

and dont defrost meat at room temperature!

It is [COLOR=#ff0000]not safe to thaw meat at room temperature[/COLOR] as this allows dangerous bacteria to grow in the meat.

ag.ansc.purdue.edu/mea…tml
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4832296
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?36199
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764697
      4. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)616

See more discussions