Hoover keeps cutting out

Hi,
My hoover keeps cutting out. It will work for about 2 minutes then cuts out. It will start again but only for the same time and cut out again. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? It's a vax upright. Thanks

29 Comments

maybe a loose wire going to the motor
when it cuts out wiggle the wire where it goes into the Hoover and see if it comes on.
or worse case your motor is on its way out

Take off all the tubes, you probably have a blockage that's causing the motor to cut out, I had this exact issue with our vax, it was on a u pipe, failing this it could quite simply be the main motor

Original Poster

stefromuk

maybe a loose wire going to the motorwhen it cuts out wiggle the wire … maybe a loose wire going to the motorwhen it cuts out wiggle the wire where it goes into the Hoover and see if it comes on.or worse case your motor is on its way out

Thank you so much, I will try it now

Original Poster

westy125

Take off all the tubes, you probably have a blockage that's causing the … Take off all the tubes, you probably have a blockage that's causing the motor to cut out, I had this exact issue with our vax, it was on a u pipe, failing this it could quite simply be the main motor

I emptied and cleaned it yesterday but I'll have a look in the pipes again, thank you

I've never had a motor cut out just because the pipes are blocked.
normally the motor will struggle and sound louder than normal.
when it's actually working is it picking up ?
Edited by: "stefromuk" 3rd Feb

Try cleaning or replacing any filters as if airflow is restricted motor could cut out.
Also check that roller is not jammed and that no object us blocking the airway just behind the roller.

You are spoilt having a hoover, far too noisy so get a broom instead.

It will almost definitely be a blockage or general build up of dust inside the machine. It's cutting out because of the thermal protection. When blocked, it gets too hot. Check the tubes, wash / replace any filters

Dust around motor is causing it to overheat and the thermistor will cut power. Blow out with compressed air in the garden.

stefromuk

I've never had a motor cut out just because the pipes are … I've never had a motor cut out just because the pipes are blocked.normally the motor will struggle and sound louder than normal.when it's actually working is it picking up ?

​If the motor is being overworked ie blocked pipes then it should have a thermal cut out, or overcurrent cut out for safety

Pull fuse out of plug as they get dirty which creates a poor contact. 2 mins from cold is not enough to over heat. If it dose over heat takes ages to cool before it will work again.

westy125

​If the motor is being overworked ie blocked pipes then it should have a t … ​If the motor is being overworked ie blocked pipes then it should have a thermal cut out, or overcurrent cut out for safety

Yeah I agree but it would be screeching and smelling before any of that so can't see the Op using it in them conditions.

Before reading your description, I was thinking "It's not a Vax by any chance", and looks like you do have one.

My mother-in-law had one and also cuts out every 2 mins and works after a little while, I think this may be over heating issue, which is supposed to be a safety feature. The vacuum cleaner was returned as it was unusable.

Original Poster

stefromuk

I've never had a motor cut out just because the pipes are … I've never had a motor cut out just because the pipes are blocked.normally the motor will struggle and sound louder than normal.when it's actually working is it picking up ?

Yes it's picking up, just doesn't seem to want to stay on.

Original Poster

joggingjeff

Try cleaning or replacing any filters as if airflow is restricted motor … Try cleaning or replacing any filters as if airflow is restricted motor could cut out.Also check that roller is not jammed and that no object us blocking the airway just behind the roller.

Thanks

Original Poster

donaldduck2

You are spoilt having a hoover, far too noisy so get a broom instead.

I need my broom, how else will I get to the shops?:D

Original Poster

japes

It will almost definitely be a blockage or general build up of dust … It will almost definitely be a blockage or general build up of dust inside the machine. It's cutting out because of the thermal protection. When blocked, it gets too hot. Check the tubes, wash / replace any filters

Thanks

Original Poster

drtongue

Dust around motor is causing it to overheat and the thermistor will cut … Dust around motor is causing it to overheat and the thermistor will cut power. Blow out with compressed air in the garden.

Thanks I'll see what I can do

Original Poster

wayners

Pull fuse out of plug as they get dirty which creates a poor contact. 2 … Pull fuse out of plug as they get dirty which creates a poor contact. 2 mins from cold is not enough to over heat. If it dose over heat takes ages to cool before it will work again.

Thanks

Original Poster

EDEN188

Before reading your description, I was thinking "It's not a Vax by any … Before reading your description, I was thinking "It's not a Vax by any chance", and looks like you do have one.My mother-in-law had one and also cuts out every 2 mins and works after a little while, I think this may be over heating issue, which is supposed to be a safety feature. The vacuum cleaner was returned as it was unusable.

I've had this one a while now and it's been quite good until now:|

My dyson does this.. always due to a build up in the filter or a blockage somewhere...

Original Poster

karene28

My dyson does this.. always due to a build up in the filter or a blockage … My dyson does this.. always due to a build up in the filter or a blockage somewhere...

Thanks I'm in the process of trying to sort it

Perhaps call your Vax a vacuum cleaner instead of a hoover. Maybe he doesn't like being called something he isn't!

mikecollins

Perhaps call your Vax a vacuum cleaner instead of a hoover. Maybe he … Perhaps call your Vax a vacuum cleaner instead of a hoover. Maybe he doesn't like being called something he isn't!

​ does that include referring to it as "he"

Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. I found a blockage in the u bend of the pipe as suggested. I've washed and cleaned out the rollers and filters and everything else I could. Mission complete! It's sorted!!
Thank you so much for all of your replies.

Original Poster

stefromuk

Yeah how do we know it's a he. How sexist

Original Poster

mikecollins

Perhaps call your Vax a vacuum cleaner instead of a hoover. Maybe he … Perhaps call your Vax a vacuum cleaner instead of a hoover. Maybe he doesn't like being called something he isn't!

I consider my knuckles well and truly rapped. I won't do it again ....sorry...

stefromuk

​Ours has an extendable hose so i just made a presumption that OPs was a he not a she.

Original Poster

mikecollins

​Ours has an extendable hose so i just made a presumption that OPs was a h … ​Ours has an extendable hose so i just made a presumption that OPs was a he not a she.

Extendable hose? Lucky you!X)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. American Road Trip11
    2. Iptv810
    3. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    4. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33

See more discussions