How do I upgrade PS3 hard drive without losing data

Posted 10th Oct 2012
First, I know how to physically swap out the hard drive, My question pertains to the data on the hard drive.

I have a 320GB slim and I'm down to 14GB free space. I have a spare 640GB HDD lying around (from my laptop which now has an SSD). I was wondering how I would go about transferring all the data from the old hard drive to the new one.

I know about the backup utility on the PS3 but you can't transfer games with that (only save data/media) and I have (including minis/PS classics/PS+ games) 140 games on there +DLC that I don't want to have to spend days re-downloading. Is there any way to transfer these? With a disk image or something? Will the PS3 recognise the new HDD if I just take an image of the old hard drive and restore it to the new 640GB one?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Backup your current PS3 hard drive via an external hard drive through the USB port.

Then restore it on your new hard drive.
    Author
    iAmLegendFam

Backup your current PS3 hard drive via an external hard drive through the … Backup your current PS3 hard drive via an external hard drive through the USB port.Then restore it on your new hard drive.

Like I said in the OP, that only works for save data and media (videos, music, photos). I would have to redownload over 250GB worth of games...
    The backup utility should transfer everything shouldn't it?

I only had to re-download 1 thing when I did mine and that was because it got currupted I think. Was like a theme.

You need a big enough FAT32 USB HDD and then use the System Backup Utility in System menu of the XMB. Should work but will take AGES!
    just to let you know I saw that no one mentioned this above but when you take out the old hard drive and for whatever reason you need to put it back in it will automatically prompt you to restore the old hard drive so if it does all go to crap and you think you are going to be able to use your old one..you cant, not without formatting it. or thats what i understood..so..yea
    only way without losing data is a USB transfer to another PS3 then replace HDD then transfer back.

Good luck
    Author
    Andy@XCite

only way without losing data is a USB transfer to another PS3 then … only way without losing data is a USB transfer to another PS3 then replace HDD then transfer back.Good luck

If I did this (borrowed somebody elses PS3), after I'd finished could I just put their hard drive back in their PS3 and it be just as before?
    hero9989

If I did this (borrowed somebody elses PS3), after I'd finished could I … If I did this (borrowed somebody elses PS3), after I'd finished could I just put their hard drive back in their PS3 and it be just as before?

i think so but u would need a spare HDD, but having said that i think backup/restore to/from HDD restores everything if the same HDD ... BUT don't hold me to that.

It is a nightmare, I think Google is your answer
    Can't you just transfer the game data...... then download your games & DLC again?
    Author
    Hmm, seems like backup/restore via USB drive DOES actually include games, some stuff isn't included though so I'm a bit worried as to what I will lose (if anything). I'm guessing I can keep my old PS3 hard drive and just put that in should anything go wrong with the new HDD. Gonna take a while to back up all my data, I'll do a bit of a spring clean before I start... But yeah, I'll give it a go. thanks for your help guys.
    hero9989

Hmm, seems like backup/restore via USB drive DOES actually include games, … Hmm, seems like backup/restore via USB drive DOES actually include games, some stuff isn't included though so I'm a bit worried as to what I will lose (if anything). I'm guessing I can keep my old PS3 hard drive and just put that in should anything go wrong with the new HDD. Gonna take a while to back up all my data, I'll do a bit of a spring clean before I start... But yeah, I'll give it a go. thanks for your help guys.

Do come back and say how you got on because my understanding is that the backup to external HDD does backup all data, however restoration will not include the copyright data if restoring to a different HDD. If you restore to the same HDD then yes everything should be restored.

But perhaps things have changed since I last looked into this.
    Back up and restore copies everything, inc games not just game data.

There may be some things that are copy protected though.
    Best to get a donor PS3, and use the "Data Transfer Utility", or subscribe to Playstation + and copy all the game saves, and then use back up and restore.

If you use the "Data Transfer Utility" you will need your original HDD, the new HDD and a spare HDD.

(edited)
    Copy protected data is fine as long as the restore is to the same PS3 I believe. The data is locked to that PS3.

Even copy protected saves were moved when I did it. The only issue is backing up then trying to restore to another PS3. If that is needed there is a different utility and a network cable needed.

For what you describe I think backing up the system and restoring it to the same PS3 is fine. You will need the latest firmware on a USB pen too though as that is needed to re-install the system software to the new HDD.
    When I upgraded from 320 ps3 slim to 500gb super slim I just connected Ethernet and did the data transfer thing in system settings... Worked 100% fine
    Unbearably slow, but I had no problem copying everything from my 80gb to an external FAT32 partition.
    Then I replaced it with a 320gb and restored it all.

Took 5-6 hours which is absurd for such a small amount of data.
's avatar
Top Merchants