How to get freesat on new Samsung TV

Posted 18th Mar 2022
I have a new tv being delivered today that has freesat instead of freeview. I don’t have sky tv so will I still be able to get the free channels? The guy in John Lewis never asked if we had a satellite dish.

We used to have sky but cancelled it at least five years ago. I do still have the old sky box and the dish is still up. Would this enable me to get freesat?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you had a pre-Sky Q - ie Sky+ - and the dish and cables are still there, then just screw the cable into the port on the back of the TV.

We have a Samsung with the same option, but never used it, as the 2 cables we have go into our Freesat recorder.
    All TVs on the market have terrestrial tuners and can receive the freeview channels, although I think Samsung may have stopped licencing the freeview stuff specifically so things like the TV guide may not have the full functionality.

Satellite tuners are much more patchy and hardly anyone licences freesat anymore. If it does have a satellite tuner then it should work with the old style pre-SkyQ satellite dishes.
    PS518/03/2022 14:50

Equally, I still think there will be analogue connectivity hence why I …Equally, I still think there will be analogue connectivity hence why I asked which model it was.

You don’t have to justify your comment. I never even read it. I read title and explained to op how easy it is to use freesat.
    deleted192272218/03/2022 14:27

Just plug the wire from sky dish in and search. Freesat will pick up all …Just plug the wire from sky dish in and search. Freesat will pick up all the channels..

Equally, I still think there will be analogue connectivity hence why I asked which model it was.
    deleted192272218/03/2022 15:38

You don’t have to justify your comment. I never even read it. I read title …You don’t have to justify your comment. I never even read it. I read title and explained to op how easy it is to use freesat.

Sorry, didn't mean to tag you in
    Best to get a smart box that Hass all the Freeview channels.
    Author
    Thank you both. I must admit I just assumed it would have freeview and only realised this morning when I downloaded the manual.

Our box was sky+ so I can try that option.

are you able to recommend a freesat box please as we would like the facility to record etc
    nelltheelephant18/03/2022 11:52

Thank you both. I must admit I just assumed it would have freeview and …Thank you both. I must admit I just assumed it would have freeview and only realised this morning when I downloaded the manual. Our box was sky+ so I can try that option. @EndlessWaves are you able to recommend a freesat box please as we would like the facility to record etc

Humax is quite good box.
    bargainhunter118/03/2022 12:04

Humax is quite good box.

For what? Freesat or Freeview? They haven't made new Humax Freesat boxes for 2 1/2 years now, so they are going to be difficult to obtain new and won't get any major updates.

The only official Freesat boxes that record are Freesat's own, made by a company called Arris and usually called Freesat 4K. They have mixed reviews and some issues, but have been slowly improving over time.

(We still have an old Humax, but it's 5 years old and a bit clunky - but I need the alignment of the dish sorted and possibly an lnb and cable refresh before I replace it)
    Which model TV did you purchase?
    Make sure you have the TV off when you connect (or disconnect) the satellite cable to avoid damaging the tv tuner.
    Just plug the wire from sky dish in and search. Freesat will pick up all the channels..
's avatar
Top Merchants