Is this bad blockwork on extension

Posted 29th Aug 2021
Hi

I went round to neighbours house the other day who is having an extension done and looked at their blockwork. I am no expert but it looked off to me.

He is a fairly old gentleman and I didn’t wanna say anything but just asked him about it and he said it’s being rendered so it doesn’t really matter

Any thoughts on this? Pic attached. The build is well advanced so I doubt he would want it pulling down.

3785778-ag6AQ.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Why don’t you ask the builders next time they are round - I’m sure they’ll be pleased to explain

45490427-bpOoG.jpg (edited)
    think its fairly obvious very untidy workmanship
    however more thinking what would i think of my neighbour popping in criticising my blockwork, taking pic then putting pic online to gauge opinion / slate work ....I am sure you mean well - unless you think neighbour being fleeced by workmen and then would contact police or trading standards etc but would imagine neighbour would have to be aware of your concerns
    Blockwork thats going to be rendered or clad (which this obviously is) doesn't need to look pretty, I've seen a lot worse than this.
    I don't see anything wrong with it structurally, all the mortar courses are full, there's no gaps anywhere and he's maintained the half bond as best he can considering it appears to be a very short wall (is that part of a door frame I can see top left?) and I believe I can see the DPC on the corner bottom right.
    Untidy blockwork isn't necessarily any weaker or less moisture resistant.
    ccnp29/08/2021 09:05

At first, I thought that looks like my very amateur work (adequate so long …At first, I thought that looks like my very amateur work (adequate so long as there is no structural load on the wall, not at all pretty to look at) but then I noticed coarses 1, 3, 5 etc and saw the short fill block on the corner. It should be a long way down the coarse. I'd expect this from a cowboy or labourer I'd pay £100pd for. A good bricky would cost me £300-£400pd. Lord knows what the sand/cement mix is like looking at that finish.Rendering doesn't stop cracks. A surveyor would criticise it but may pass it.Did the same person lay the bricks? I'm guessing not.

The 'short fill block' on the corner is to maintain half bond and this is how its always been done.
    This is exceptional compared to my neighbours new extension, my neighbours is unbelievable ill get a pic in a minute.
    Its hard to believe people who know so little about building are managing to rob elderly people.
    It looks like it will be hidden behind a coat of render, therefore doesnt need to be the neatest of jobs (edited)
    That really does look a mess, yeah. So many uneven blocks and also a really uneven use of mortar. Not sure how that affects the structural integrity of it.

I think I can see it bottom right but is there is a DPC in place there?
    At first, I thought that looks like my very amateur work (adequate so long as there is no structural load on the wall, not at all pretty to look at) but then I noticed coarses 1, 3, 5 etc and saw the short fill block on the corner. It should be a long way down the coarse. I'd expect this from a cowboy or labourer I'd pay £100pd for. A good bricky would cost me £300-£400pd. Lord knows what the sand/cement mix is like looking at that finish.

Rendering doesn't stop cracks. A surveyor would criticise it but may pass it.

Did the same person lay the bricks? I'm guessing not. (edited)
    Maybe its the angle the image is taken at but if you zoom in on the brickwork it doesn't actually look much better. The depths of the bricks all look out and uneven mortar on them too
    Author
    Jason29/08/2021 09:09

Maybe its the angle the image is taken at but if you zoom in on the …Maybe its the angle the image is taken at but if you zoom in on the brickwork it doesn't actually look much better. The depths of the bricks all look out and uneven mortar on them too

Yeah that’s what I thought. I do feel for him and hope he doesn’t get problems later on
    Author
    joebham29/08/2021 09:06

think its fairly obvious very untidy workmanship however more thinking …think its fairly obvious very untidy workmanship however more thinking what would i think of my neighbour popping in criticising my blockwork, taking pic then putting pic online to gauge opinion / slate work ....I am sure you mean well - unless you think neighbour being fleeced by workmen and then would contact police or trading standards etc but would imagine neighbour would have to be aware of your concerns

I don’t really know what to do. I don’t wanna get involved but then again don’t want him to have a whole load of problems down the line. Given the roof is also up I don’t think there is much option of him bringing it all down to start again as that would be a nightmare for him.
    AdamWalkerGX729/08/2021 09:17

I don’t really know what to do. I don’t wanna get involved but then again d …I don’t really know what to do. I don’t wanna get involved but then again don’t want him to have a whole load of problems down the line. Given the roof is also up I don’t think there is much option of him bringing it all down to start again as that would be a nightmare for him.

not an expert myself m8 but would suggest ask him if building control have passed the work off, does he care it may be sub standard - are builders coming to point up bricks, suggest he gets an independent survey on work before pays whole amount on completion ? maybe he knows he doing it on cheap and wont be around for any consequences that be next owner problem
    Author
    ccnp29/08/2021 09:05

At first, I thought that looks like my very amateur work (adequate so long …At first, I thought that looks like my very amateur work (adequate so long as there is no structural load on the wall, not at all pretty to look at) but then I noticed coarses 1, 3, 5 etc and saw the short fill block on the corner. It should be a long way down the coarse. I'd expect this from a cowboy or labourer I'd pay £100pd for. A good bricky would cost me £300-£400pd. Lord knows what the sand/cement mix is like looking at that finish.Rendering doesn't stop cracks. A surveyor would criticise it but may pass it.Did the same person lay the bricks? I'm guessing not.

Yes I think same person did bricks and blocks
    AdamWalkerGX729/08/2021 09:17

I don’t really know what to do. I don’t wanna get involved but then again d …I don’t really know what to do. I don’t wanna get involved but then again don’t want him to have a whole load of problems down the line. Given the roof is also up I don’t think there is much option of him bringing it all down to start again as that would be a nightmare for him.

We did an extension recently and building control came out after the blockwork was completed and before the roof went on. So maybe building control have already seen the clockwork and passed it off?
    Author
    Jason29/08/2021 08:57

That really does look a mess, yeah. So many uneven blocks and also a …That really does look a mess, yeah. So many uneven blocks and also a really uneven use of mortar. Not sure how that affects the structural integrity of it. I think I can see it bottom right but is there is a DPC in place there?

Yeah I’m pretty sure a DPC is in place.
    Author
    Mark_Hickman29/08/2021 12:45

This is exceptional compared to my neighbours new extension, my neighbours …This is exceptional compared to my neighbours new extension, my neighbours is unbelievable ill get a pic in a minute.Its hard to believe people who know so little about building are managing to rob elderly people.

I’ll tell him it’s exceptional lol
    Does he have family you could ask to come and see the work? I'd rather say something than find out later it was substandard and needs fixing. Good neighbour and all that. It can be said in a way not to come across as being nosey or judgemental.
    Looks a mess, I wouldn't be happy. What's going on in the top left hand corner? Mortar gaps are all over the place, different sizes, they really should be consistent. Also the physical damp proof course should be visible where it overlaps the bed joint by around 5-10mm, if it is not then it has not been installed or it has been bridged.
    Author
    ding29/08/2021 20:49

It looks like it will be hidden behind a coat of render, therefore doesnt …It looks like it will be hidden behind a coat of render, therefore doesnt need to be the neatest of kobs

Yeah but what about structural integrity, any moisture impact?
    Author
    Delbert.Grady30/08/2021 09:50

Blockwork thats going to be rendered or clad (which this obviously is) …Blockwork thats going to be rendered or clad (which this obviously is) doesn't need to look pretty, I've seen a lot worse than this.I don't see anything wrong with it structurally, all the mortar courses are full, there's no gaps anywhere and he's maintained the half bond as best he can considering it appears to be a very short wall (is that part of a door frame I can see top left?) and I believe I can see the DPC on the corner bottom right.Untidy blockwork isn't necessarily any weaker or less moisture resistant.

Yes the bi folds are yet to go in so that’s the top left - currently just an OSB.
's avatar