Need internet on a Desktop computer in a location with no wifi

Posted 11th Jul 2023
If I want to set up a desktop computer in a location with no available internet connection (no wifi) other than my phone. What would be the best way to connect to the internet via the desktop?
Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes can also connect to your PC with your smartphone and USB cable and Tether wired,
    I've done it this way before, (edited)
    Yeah, that's the way I did it when I had no broadband for a couple of weeks and had to rely on mobile Internet. Keeps your phone charged too!
    As you have your phone, you can tether to the PC by creating a wifi hotspot as long as the PC has built in wifi. If not, then you can buy a wifi dongle for about £10 (edited)
    All suggestions very good and just to add into the piece you could always buy a portable router/mifi, get an appropiate sim card and service and away you go.
    Usb WiFi adapter for desktop

Upgrade your phone tariff to unlimited data. Hotspot tenthering from mobile phone (edited)
    You might be able to help?
    wi-fi is just a local thing to transfer data between stuff (e.g. between devices and an internet connection). A wi-fi network can easily be set up anywhere.

The big question is what internet connections are available at that location as that'll determine what hardware you need to buy.
    Check the local connection to the network Three, you can get broadband and use a Ethernet cable to connect directly to your pc.
    Even the 4g service isn’t that slow and can sometimes beat the speeds of Sky fibre broadband.

This also will allow you to take it on holiday (free if UK and at a extra cost if abroad).
    It’s just plug and play.

The main issue with using your phone to tether is battery health and drain issues.
    Is there any Internet connection near at all? If in the same property and just out of wireless range then how about powerline plugs?
    Do you require it to be connected only while in use or at all times?

If the former, use hotspot or tether your phone using a usb cable.

If the latter, get a travel router/4g mifi device and put a SIM in it.
's avatar