New CeX postage prices

Posted 24th Mar 2020
From website - "There is a delivery charge of £1.95 per individual item valued up to £100. Any individual items purchased over the value of £100 will not incur a delivery charge."

This used to be £1.50 delivery charge for individual items under £50 and no delivery charge for individual items £50+
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've started using CEX less because of their delivery charges. It's a shame though because they often have older games that are quite hard to find elsewhere. £1.95 per item seems too much really. I think part of the problem is they don't use a central distribution centre, they just take stock from stores that have it, and then subsequently send it from there so they can't take advantage of cheaper postage (that's my hypothesis anyway). (edited)
    PAISAL24/03/2020 19:54

I've started using CEX less because of their delivery charges. It's a …I've started using CEX less because of their delivery charges. It's a shame though because they often have older games that are quite hard to find elsewhere. £1.95 per item seems too much really. I think part of the problem is they don't use a central distribution centre, they just take stock from stores that have it, and then subsequently send it from there so they can't take advantage of cheaper postage (that's my hypothesis anyway).

Remember the price of Royal Mail postage went up yesterday as well.
    deleted10436224/03/2020 20:13

andrewworrall124/03/2020 20:15

That explains the 45p p&p increase but the free delivery on items £100+ …That explains the 45p p&p increase but the free delivery on items £100+ instead of £50+ is a bit of a jump!

I forgot about the £50 thing. That is quite a jump.

But again, not sure about the Royal Mail price increase having that big a difference on individual items. It costs us a significant amount more. But surely they have bulk mail contracts. Even before the increase, £1.50 per item was too much. But having said that, it would depend on the item because it is admittedly a flat rate so somethingsare fairly cheap and easy to send (DVD form factor), some stuff not so much (a controller or phone).

Still a bit bab though because they do have some good stuff on their website that is otherwise hard or expensive to find (edited)
    PAISAL24/03/2020 20:57

I remember the good old days of £2.50 an order. That was that was the …I remember the good old days of £2.50 an order. That was that was the opposite dilemma wasn't it?! They probably have a "skeleton" staff I reckon. But maybe they'll wind right down soon. I wonder how many people trade in online as opposed to go into store. If it's no that many, they me even start to run out of stock soon.

I doubt a lack of stock will be an issue, it's more likely more people will sell as they need money during this crisis. (edited)
    andrewworrall124/03/2020 21:25

Visiting the post office to post something you're selling is allowed? …Visiting the post office to post something you're selling is allowed? Definitely not a non-essential activity?

Stores are unfortunately still open. Post Offices are classed as essential, if you are desperate for money I would class that as essential. Not that they know what you are posting anyway.

I will try my best to avoid going out but if I'm food shopping and Post Office is on the way home then it's not going to make much of a difference going to one if you keep distance.
    andrewworrall124/03/2020 20:30

Used to be £2.50 default no matter what a while ago. Order one, two, three …Used to be £2.50 default no matter what a while ago. Order one, two, three items etc, still pay £2.50 for example. Was okay for large orders, should've been free for a certain spend total but single item orders was definitely expensive. I wonder if all CeX staff still have to go to work now during lockdown because the online orders are sourced from their stores and online orders are still being processed

I remember the good old days of £2.50 an order. That was that was the opposite dilemma wasn't it?!

They probably have a "skeleton" staff I reckon. But maybe they'll wind right down soon. I wonder how many people trade in online as opposed to go into store. If it's not that many, they me even start to run out of stock soon. (edited)
    Author
    jamie1524/03/2020 22:06

Stores are unfortunately still open. Post Offices are classed as …Stores are unfortunately still open. Post Offices are classed as essential, if you are desperate for money I would class that as essential. Not that they know what you are posting anyway.I will try my best to avoid going out but if I'm food shopping and Post Office is on the way home then it's not going to make much of a difference going to one if you keep distance.

True. By unfortunately do you mean CeX stores are still open? That's not the case according to CeX Twitter support, the replies I've seen them send suggest otherwise. Online orders only
    andrewworrall124/03/2020 22:17

True. By unfortunately do you mean CeX stores are still open? That's not …True. By unfortunately do you mean CeX stores are still open? That's not the case according to CeX Twitter support, the replies I've seen them send suggest otherwise. Online orders only

Oh you are right, I checked yesterday after the announcement and saw nothing so presumed it was still open. (edited)
    Author
    jamie1524/03/2020 22:20

Oh you are right, I checked yesterday after the announcement and saw …Oh you are right, I checked yesterday after the announcement and saw nothing so presumed it was still open.

They only shut stores when the lockdown happened as far as I know. One of my local stores (I'm guessing both of my local stores but I only went to one before lockdown) went to Sunday opening hours until further notice before lockdown (edited)
    andrewworrall124/03/2020 22:22

They only shut stores when the lockdown happened as far as I know. One of …They only shut stores when the lockdown happened as far as I know. One of my local stores (I'm guessing both of my local stores but I only went to one before lockdown) went to Sunday opening hours until further notice before lockdown

I went on Friday and stores were operating on normal hours still. CeX are a franchise so I guess it depended on store. (edited)
    Author
    jamie1524/03/2020 22:24

I went on Friday and stores were operating on normal hours still. CeX are …I went on Friday and stores were operating on normal hours still. CeX are a franchise so I guess it depended on store.

Yep. I honestly just can't wait for the lockdown to be over and places to open again but only when it's safe to do so. Who knows when that will be though, safety is the utmost important thing in this situation. (edited)
    andrewworrall124/03/2020 22:26

Yep. I honestly just can't wait for the lockdown to be over and places to …Yep. I honestly just can't wait for the lockdown to be over and places to open again but only when it's safe to do so. Who knows when that will be though, safety is the utmost important thing in this situation.

Agreed.
    Author
    deleted10436224/03/2020 20:13

That explains the 45p p&p increase but the free delivery on items £100+ instead of £50+ is a bit of a jump!
    Author
    PAISAL24/03/2020 20:25

I forgot about the £50 thing. That is quite a jump.But again, not sure …I forgot about the £50 thing. That is quite a jump.But again, not sure about the Royal Mail price increase having that big a difference on individual items. It costs us a significant amount more. But surely they have bulk mail contracts. Even before the increase, £1.50 per item was too much. But having said that, it would depend on the item because it is admittedly a flat rate so somethingsare fairly cheap and easy to send (DVD form factor), some stuff not so much (a controller or phone).Still a bit bab though because they do have some good stuff on their website that is otherwise hard or expensive to find

Used to be £2.50 default no matter what a while ago. Order one, two, three items etc, still pay £2.50 for example. Was okay for large orders, should've been free for a certain spend total but single item orders was definitely expensive. I wonder if all CeX staff still have to go to work now during lockdown because the online orders are sourced from their stores and online orders are still being processed
    Author
    jamie1524/03/2020 21:22

I doubt a lack of stock will be an issue, it's more likely more people …I doubt a lack of stock will be an issue, it's more likely more people will sell as they need money during this crisis.

Visiting the post office to post something you're selling is allowed? Definitely not a non-essential activity?
    +1 to be annoyed with the £1.95 charges on £50+ to £100 now. Made me angry so I only bought 1 item.

They sell apple plugs for that much !
    Even when you sell you get returns label from Royal Mail so looks like cex been playing the gameb
    I was hoping they would lower the postage charge to encourage online sales now the stores are closed.

I'm guessing their online sales will increase anyway so they thought they would scrape a bit more cash out of us.

Think of all those people with CEX credit who can't use it in store, stuck at home will also mean more time to play games/watch dvds etc,
    Have CeX stop selling 50p dvds because can’t find any on their website now (edited)
    Author
    phil234529/03/2020 12:10

Have CeX stop selling 50p dvds because can’t find any on their website now

Still being sold just use the filter of price low to high
    only seeing 50p games not dvds
    Author
    phil234529/03/2020 18:07

only seeing 50p games not dvds

40222177-OF8Da.jpgWebsite is down but app isn't (otherwise I'd link to the page)
    I meant tv 50p dvd not movies
    It's now £1.95 per item delivered
    I don't really use them, got a hard drive full of errors last year and a xbox controller covered in food so took them straight back. Got another hard drive last month and it was completely dead not even recognised, due to the problems last time I had my laptop with me so checked it in a cafe, went back to the store 20 mins later, sorry we need to check if first come back in half an hour. Go back in half an hour yeah it's faulty but our system is down so we can't refund or replace you need to come back another day but within 14 days or we bin it and you get nothing. Useless, not bothering again.
's avatar