On safari

Posted 13th Aug 2023
Has anyone been on safari to south Africa?
Special birthday and would love to do it as like my photography too and think it would be amazing.
Got no idea where to start though 🤦‍♂️
Any pointers or recommendations would be gratefully received 🙏
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We did Kruger National Park . Stayed for 4 nights in the Marloth park area , entered the park at Crocodile River Bridge Gate. Did two full day Safaris and two evening ones. Saw all the 'Big Five' and one night we had Lions walking around our vehicle, having no windows added to the excitement. We flew from London to Johannesburg and on to Nelspruit , from where our lodge picked us up. Later we flew back to Jo'burg and on to Cape Town and toured the western cape (Wine/ Garden Route) for 10 days. It was a once in a life time experience. This was 15 years ago. The Safari bit wasn't cheap but touring the Cape was reasonable. Did this in August , their Winter, when vegetation is low and game easier to spot. Another high light was seeing the Whales at Hermanus.
    Booked all the flights on one ticket( multi city) and got all the internal flights for free. (edited)
    Author
    Wow that sounds absolutely amazing.
    I have no idea where to start. It's a minefield
    I did 3 nights in the Masai Mara in Kenya a few years ago and even my wife who was not even vaguely interested loved it. I stayed in one of tented resorts and did an early morning all day to go and see the Wildebeest migration. We’re planning on doing the Serengeti next.

I booked mine all from here, just did a Google, found a few companies and exchanged a few emails with them. What was strange is that they wanted payment in US dollars, wouldn’t accept any other currency, not even their local.

We got see everything except Rhinos and Cheetahs. Got to see Leopards twice though with one walking by our vehicle.

50778894-NaTDr.jpg

50778894-mqu17.jpg

50778894-zAltd.jpg
    Author
    Wow, beautiful.
    I would not go to South Africa anytime soon.

Do your research into the situation there.

The country is probably in its worse state in decades both politically and economically. Add into this the issues with power grid failures lasting days, water and civil unrest many commentators have said the country will collapse within 2023.

Plus some of the politicians have been calling for attacks on certain fairer skin colours. (mods, not racist - look it up!)

So please read up on it before you spend money.
    Author
    Was thinking about next year so not booking anytime soon but thanks.
    I've been to Kruger National Park (many years ago) as part of an organised tour
    The tour also included Cape Town, the Garden Route, Durban and whales at Hermanus

I have also done safaris in Kenya including the Masai Mara and wildebeest migration

Botswana was probably my favourite as it wasn't too "touristy"

Perhaps a travel agent could put together a package if you know what you might like to include
's avatar