PayPal transaction is still going through even though Argos order failed?

deleted948019's avatar deleted948019
Posted 28th Jul 2015
I tried to order a £350 phone off Argos yesterday. They have an online promo code TECH10 available for 10% off that expires midnight today so I took advantage of that. It says it was in stock at my local store so I tried to pay for it to then pick up at my store today. When I used PayPal to pay for it, it redirected me back to my trolley and said it was actually out of stock, however the PayPal transaction is still going through. It's currently in my PayPal as 'Pending' but the funds have been deducted from the available money in my bank account (but the transaction hasn't shown up yet). I went into the Argos store today and they seem to think because the order failed and I'm received no confirmation emails from them then within a couple of days the money should go back into my account. They told me to wait and see what happens and if I am charged then they're happy to refund me.

It's a great deal on the phone and I actually really wanted it though and it expires tonight. I'm tempted to try order it again but I don't know if it'll complicate things if the first payment does in fact go through. I'm obviously concerned it'll happen again too and they'll just steal £700 from me. I've never had this problem with Argos before. I'm assuming it went out of stock just as I was ordering it, but it's showing as back in stock today.

Not sure what to do?
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It'll obviously get sorted either way. there's no chance your going to get scammed from Argos. Why not phone them?
    Author
    RabLewandowski

It'll obviously get sorted either way. there's no chance your going to … It'll obviously get sorted either way. there's no chance your going to get scammed from Argos. Why not phone them?

I did try to today and just couldn't get through to their customer service team, so I went in store and that's what they told me although they weren't certain. I also tweeted/facebooked them and they got back to me just before their closing time and I guess they ran out of work before completely investigating my order and hopefully will continue tomorrow.
    Author
    Sorry Just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences. I don't expect to be scammed by Argos no, but I have full on been screwed over by T-Mobile before. Took them 9 MONTHS of constant complaints for them to pay me £70 they owed me and they went through every single route they could find not to give the money to me even though it was rightfully mine. So I don't have as much trust in these big companies anymore
    Argos have the worst website known to man, it doesn't seem to matter that they have no stock it'll still show as being in stock on their website, all that happens is you place an order but you won't receive an email confirmation, so you just have to guess as to whether you've actually got a confirmed order or not as is happening in your case.
    Author
    Dyslexic_Dog

Argos have the worst website known to man, it doesn't seem to matter that … Argos have the worst website known to man, it doesn't seem to matter that they have no stock it'll still show as being in stock on their website, all that happens is you place an order but you won't receive an email confirmation, so you just have to guess as to whether you've actually got a confirmed order or not as is happening in your case.

Do you think if I order another one then I'll end up getting two? I guess I could just return one.
    I agree their website is horrific. This is the first time I've tried to pay online and not in store for something and it's completely messed up, I've recieved no emails from them since the order.
    Had a similar prob beginning of July. I ordered a fan for £69.99. Payed by pay pal. I received no confirmation. Went to the store explained it to them. They said there was a problem and I would be refunded in a few day. So waited. No refund. On the Saturday. The last day that I could pick it up from store. I received a email or tx. To say I hadn't collected and would be refunded in 5 days. Then I was refunded. So they had my money for nearly 2 weeks.
    From Argos
    If you noticed an error message at the point of payment and you haven’t received an email confirmation within two hours of placing your order, the order will not have successfully gone through. You may wish to place your order again.

If this has happened, you may notice that the payment is ‘pending’ in your bank account. Don’t worry, Argos will not have taken any payment and this pre-authorisation will automatically be cancelled within 24 hours. You will see the funds released in your bank account within 5 days, depending on your card issuer. If you have any concerns please contact us.

's avatar
Top Merchants