Plusnet mobile no longer offering SIM only plans to new customers

Posted 8th Apr 2023
I hadn't seen any mention of this on here but after looking to see what their current offers were I found that Plusnet are no longer offering SIM only plans to new customers and instead ushering you to EE. Looks like existing customers aren't affected and will be still with Plusnet for now.

I know EE, Plusnet and BT are all owned by the same company but looks like they are streamlining their services.

Link here: plus.net/mobile
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yeah they did this at the back end of last month.

BT is becoming a business only brand
    EE is becoming a consumer only brand
    Plusnet’s future is still in question

All mobile operations are going to EE only from now on. There’s rumours that everyone on BT mobile and Plusnet mobile will be migrated by the end of the year but I can’t say how much truth there is in that.

For you, if you’re looking for an EE Powered SIM Only remember you can get cheaper EE SIMs via the BT website, or check out networks that piggyback like CMLink, 1pMobile, Vectone, Now Mobile, RWG, Utility Warehouse, and Ecotalk. Hopefully at least one of them has something to suit your needs.

I personally won’t miss Plusnet mobile. Their service was too restrictive. No 5G, No VoLTE, No WiFi Calling, No Band 20, No shortcodes etc.
    idmobile.co.uk/bet…c1f

20GB 5G support, 1 month contract and £7/month. Possible £12 TCB as well. Oh and roaming included (edited)
    Author
    Yeah, I was with EE since they used to be called Orange! But last year they offered useless retention deals so I swapped to a 1p Lebara SIM, which is a good price but Vodafone signal in my area is ok but not as good as EE, so I like to see if there any offers on to go back, I'll check out that list though, thanks!
    How much data do you need and I will try to point you in the direction of the best value offers between them all.

Also I'm from the other side to you. Rather than Orange I used to work for T-Mobile and am still clinging on desperately to my old staff account before it's finally shut down soon. In the meantime I'm on £10.50 a month for unlimited 3G Data, 2000 Minutes and unlimited texts. Just like you say no other network can really compete with EE Signal and there's usually a price premium to pay for this.
    Just got the email today. Not just for new customers, it's coming to an end full stop.
    What EE deals are they offering? Says exclusive deal at £8/month
    Honestly it's no big deal for EE to maintain it. EE is just a rebrand of T-Mobile. It uses the same back end system called Excalibur. That's why T-Mobile accounts are still running today while Orange accounts were killed off years ago. For at least 90% of the system, there is no difference between a T-Mobile account and a modern day EE account
    Interesting but with 3g being shut down you might get a new sim. There was an old life mobile plan that became plus net £1 a month deal. They would not send a new sim because they said it was 3g only. I thought you turned it on at the network side. You do with 5g. 

Anyway I went to Sky’s free sim, now £1 a month. someone on here said plusnet were sending new sims to these £1 legacy plans. So 4g and 5g maybe. They have had rpi increses but I let mine go when I moved to sky. 

Anyone remember everyday 50 from Orange? If three merge with voda and reduce networks to 3 then that’ll be bad news. Orange was great always had reception even though in those days it was just cslls and texts that we were interested in. 
    It will either just drop to 2G only, or we'll get sent PAC codes. Both have been discussed internally from what I have been told. There's no chance of me getting a 5G SIM with the same T-Mobile priceplan attached.

In all honesty I am not sure I would stay even if they offered that by some miracle. Once the 3G Network is shut down I will be moving to o2 (Or at least someone who piggybacks on them) who are keeping their 3G Network running for a while longer yet. I find it more stable and reliable for voice calling compared to VoLTE which I will otherwise be forced to use.
    Bad news for me too. I called today seeing if I could get a 4G SIM on my legacy 3G (£1) SIM account. But no cigar. Plusnet would send me a new SIM but will want me to call to activate it and to also discuss a new 4G contract tariff, aka a price increase. So I'm off.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/dis…own

Report/s of closure to current subscribers. (MSE)
    “We will be closing all our mobile services in the coming months. This means you’ll need to switch your service to another provider in the future”
    Bad news for me because Plusnet were my default end of contract go to.
    intown
    18th Apr
    Bad news for me too. I called today seeing if I could get a 4G SIM on my legacy 3G (£1) SIM account. But no cigar. Plusnet would send me a new SIM but will want me to call to activate it and to also discuss a new 4G contract tariff, aka a price increase. So I'm off
    The £1 a month is over now as EE will not offer that deal. I changed to the sky £0 now £1 a month back in 2020. So am ok for now.

RWG offer a sim 250 mins and texts and 2gb data for £25 a year or £35 for two years. Works out at £1.46 a month. Worth going for that if you need EE signal.
    That's annoying: Plusnet had promised not to cancel data roaming for their existing customers, now I have to find an alternative.

£7.49 for unlimited minutes and 6GB of data suited me perfectly.
    nowmobile.co.uk/sim…hly

The very same EE Signal but with added 5G Support, 10GB Data, Unlimited calls and texts, and inclusive EU Roaming. £7.50 A month with no contract and no price increases.
's avatar