Question for diabetics

Posted 19th Aug 2023
Hi all

Sorry for my ignorance but I’m not diabetic (yet) so asking for a family member

Can anyone give advice on a patch blood glucose monitor that can be read on an iPad, I looked on diabetes uk and it says the gp may be able to supply with a cgm but when asked they wouldn’t

So I’d like to know costs for the patches and what’s needed please

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I am not diabetic but I took part in a medical study using Freestyle Libre and they connect to iphone, certainly.
    If the ipad has bluetooth I cant see why it wouldn't work.
    In fact I've checked now and it would seem that they will work.
    apps.apple.com/gb/…454

They are also available on prescription.

I wore them for 12 months and had no issues.
    I get them on prescription. I believe it varies by area how strict they are. I'm in Essex and I only managed to get them on prescription about a year ago. A family member was working in Newcastle hospital and they said they were prescribing them to many people a couple of years before. I asked every check up with my consultant (every 9 months or so) and they said no - there only prescribed if you have good control of diabetes. I think you'll only get one if you have type 1 diabetes, and it's under reasonable control (although to be fair mine wasn't particularly under control when I got it). But you can pay for them, they're about £50 each and last 2 weeks.

There were some problems with the ios app recently but I think that's all sorted now.

If you have type 1 they really are a game changer, especially now they automatically retrieve your reading every minute.
    Last time I looked, the cost was over £100 a month! And when you carefully read all the conditions of these devices, it clearly states that they are not a replacement for blood tests and you must continue to use blood tests to manage your condition.