Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Samsung QLED or LG QNED?

Posted 24th Nov 2023
Hi.

Looking for a budget 75 inch TV to upgrade from my 55 inch 2017 Philips LED TV, and found these two both for the same price at Costco.

costco.co.uk/TVs…516

costco.co.uk/TVs…338

I don't need anything fancy. I rarely watch anything in 4K, and mainly use it for streaming from Netflix, playing Switch games or on my PS4.

Which would be best? From what i've read, QLED is better than LG's QNED, but the LG has a 100hz refresh rate, whilst the Samsung only has 50hz. I don't really know if this will affect me.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Both make their own displays, LG has a much larger market share.
    OLED is still the best display technology. QLED & QNED are technologies that use cost cutting measures to allow them to be cheaper than an OLED. On paper QLED is better than QNED, however QNED is a newer technology.
    Due to the technology used in both QLED & QNED neither can give you the blacks an OLED can.
    OLED can be turned off 100% giving you the blackest blacks that can currently be achieved. QLED & QNED can't turn off fully and can only be dimmed...
    Some may argue that the 100Hz is better for gaming.
    It's a very subjective topic - if you had an example of all 3 technologies side by side that would be the only way to judge which one you prefer yourself.
    Not much in it between these two for your use case, but to me it seems the LG would be better for you

rtings.com/tv/….10

Disclaimer, i read that the sam q65 is identical to q60, and im assuming the lg82 is identical to lg80
    QLED and QNED are marketing names. They are both similar technology, one is quantum dots, the other is quantum nano particles. They both do the same job. Filter the light to produce brighter more precise colours.

Depending where you watching from. The Samsung is a va panel and the LG is IPS. They are both only edge lit, but LG claims to do local dimming.

Here's a side by side comparison of the specs -
    displayspecifications.com/en/…3a8
    Author
    Thanks guys. The LG sold out, so i bought the Samsung
's avatar