Introducing our brand new badge ... the Super Poster

Posted 23rd Jun 2023
You will start seeing a brand new label next to a few usernames on hotukdeals to highlight some of the super posters that we have across the community.

Every member of the community will have the opportunity to earn the Super Poster badge.

4146903_1.jpg
How can you earn the badge?
The badge will be assigned automatically to deal posters who have shared a high enough number of live quality deals to qualify within the last 28 days.
  In order to keep the badge though, you'll need to have enough live deals within the last 28 days.

If I lose the badge, can I win it back?
You sure can! Once you've shared enough great live deals to qualify, it might be won back. The badge is refreshed daily.

Why are we releasing this new badge ?
We've been doing a load of work on "rewarding" and acknowledging our members so this forms part of that work. If you see someone with the new badge, or you yourself earn it, you know for sure your work is incredibly appreciated by us and all users that get to save money by taking advantage of your deals.

What does the badge look like?

4146903_1.jpg
On the members profile page:

4146903_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

72 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just to reiterate what Sigma has been saying here - apologies for the first roll out of this new label. We definitely got it wrong in terms of setting the criteria for being awarded the badge - it was too heavy on quantity metrics.

Thank you for bearing with us - the new criteria has now been rolled out, and we'd love to hear your feedback on it. The group of initial users with the badge is quite a lot bigger than before, but still small enough (we think) to deserve recognition. And of course the group will change, as new deals are posted and voted upon.

It's good that the site is recognising members contributions, especially those that are on here daily posting deals.

However looking at the stats on the Superposters are they actually sharing the deals the community want to see with such low hot deal percentages and average heat.

This is just my humble opinion of course but scrolling through too many poor deals will probably put people off visiting the site, also if they are alerted with keywords notification continually for poor deals then they'll probably turn off notifications all together and not visit as frequently.

Obviously I don't have access to all the statistics you do and perhaps heat has nothing to do with how people engage with deals, however I assumed the hotter the deal the more exposure the deal got and more click through for potential sales for yourselves.
    50451556-GTy5j.jpg50451556-wUTkW.jpg
    Author
    hi thank you for sharing this The Super Poster team is currently reviewing the community feedback and will continue to assess the badge criteria and deal quality. I've also shared your feedback with them
    This promotes and further encourages spamming the site with poor deals and there is enough of that as it is.

Seems like those who come up with these sort of ideas are completely out of touch. (edited)
    I agree with your second point as it happens in most companies all the time but here, I would have thought people are a little bit closer to ground reality. Unless they are also simply following orders from Pepper HQ.
    Seems to be updated...

Much more how I'd expect a Super Poster to be now... ⭐
    Author
    Thank you for the feedback The team did spend some time refining the data and have now released the final update.

And big congratulations to all our Community Members that have been awarded the badge
    That doesn't seem worth it. At least give people a gift card or something, there's many people here that basically work for free.
    Totally agree, this should just be one of a range of ways to recognise contributions.

The good news is, it is We do other things to reward users, but we are always trying to balance between thanking people and encouraging spam (something we will monitor with this badge, of course).

But we plan to make some of this more public very soon - watch this space
    Author
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback you’ve shared on this new profile label. We’ve been tracking the feedback and data over the weekend and our teams met this morning to talk it through.

We agree that for such a prominent label there needs to be a better defined quality aspect attached to it rather than just deals posted. This is how we have worked with all other recognition projects we have underway, so apologies that we didn’t get this right the first time out.

The number of users getting rewarded with the label is also far too small. We have a huge number of incredible deal posters so just limiting it to a couple of users clearly isn’t right.

The priority for now is to review the current logic and expand this, taking into account the two most important pieces of feedback above. We’ve already started this task and we hope to release it asap but it might need a bit of tweaking once done to make sure we get it right.

We’re sorry that the release was far from perfect and we’re so grateful you took the time to tell us where it can be improved. Please do keep the feedback coming to us and once I know when the new criteria is ready to be rolled out i’ll update again.
    Author
    Just wanted to share a further update on this. We have reviewed the criteria for determining who receives the badge and made amendments to shift the focus from quantity to quality. We believe we have achieved a good balance between acknowledging effort and showcasing deal-spotting skills. Currently, we are working on the technical aspects of implementing these changes, and we anticipate that badges will be assigned according to the new criteria in the next few days.
    I have to admit the update is much better. It's more how I'd expect something like this to be given out. Promoting quality over quantity.
    The badge is a good idea, encouraging regular, good-quality posts.

The most prominent endorsement of a user is for a contribution period that seems very short-term (rolling 1 month). It feels a bit unbalanced. This is the most visible badge on HUKD, the only one seen by every visitor - registered users and passers-by alike. Unless there's a key driver I've not thought of, I think the contribution for such distinguishable status should be over a longer period, perhaps the last 3(?) months. (Too early to tell, but I wonder if Super Posters will have experienced a difference in follower growth after being awarded the badge.)

It might be an idea to instead or additionally give those with a VIP / Good Egg badge a similar highly-visible icon that appears beside their username with every post and comment. Albeit, not all VIPs are deal posters and these badges are permanent.

I posted so many offers in the past month that I am now a Super Poster!... You can also earn this status by posting deals!
    Could be worth tweaking the description on Super Poster profiles to stress quality is a factor. At the moment, it could lead some to spam for the badge.
    Author
    Thank you, I'll share your feedback and suggestions directly with the super poster team
    Just encourages people to post any old trash on the site in my opinion. One of the new ' super posters ' I have seen today must post 30 - 40 ' deals ' each day of which a large percentage of them are total rubbish that have been ripped off another deal site. Hotukdeals is flooded with total guff at the best of times, this will just flood it even further.
    Get ready for even more Tokyo Laundry non deals
    Quality is better than quantity.
    Absolutely

hinted at it above but we do already reward some users on site in a very different way than we're looking to do here. So when it comes to how we reward users and the type, we consider the activity we're rewarding and what is the impact likely to be.

For this initiative we're applying a label to a profile as the reward and highlighting these users for doing what they're already doing. If we start seeing behaviour we believe is unintended or undesired (poor deals / spam) we can look at the criteria and make whatever changes necessary.

Sorry about all the vagueness around 'rewards' but we've done a ton of work on this the last 18-24 months and we think the 3 or 4 things we're soon going to be releasing will show you and everyone else just how much thought has gone in to the very thing you commented here about quality being better (or more important for us) than quantity.
    I wonder how helpful this will be, I fear it will only encourage more spam / poor deals.
    I don't want to single out users but I can already see a lot of purple deals from on user on the new deals page and looking through the history many of the deals didn't perform particularly well.

I also wonder if users might be fooled into thinking a deal is better than it actually is a the poster has a purple badge and is a super poster.
    I agree. I feel this should have been based on successful postings (Minimum set temperature, votes, comments, content within deal, etc) rather than just posting anything and everything with minimum effort. It takes away from members who post less, but provide people with far better deals, information and overall content.

Under the current format, I fear it will promote a scattergun approach, simply porting everything over from rival deal websites, Keepa, Camels, etc, without any deal research or effort.
    Ive never looked at any user and looked what badge they have, who cares ?
    Especially a badge that encourages people to post any old trash (edited)
    Don’t give them ideas. They will look into making the badges more visible.

They are looking for a new tier to have prolific posters look to achieve meaning more deals posted which in turn means more commission for them (the business more than the poster).
    Just in time for Prime Day.
    Cue all the fresh posts at 0001hrs for 1p off a king size mattress, or store specific 30% mark downs on turkey ham at Lidl.
    Badges awarded for volume, not content, is not going to help the site. But giving us optional filters so we can avoid deals by key word is something that would be better appreciated. I don't need Lego or electric scooters for example, and would like to not see them, as would others
    Agree. This has been requested for years and I find myself going onto the deals part of this site less and less because I can’t filter out what I don’t want to see or retailers im not interested in. And therefore I click less and less on the deal buttons meaning the site earns less from my interactions. But there you go, pretty badges will save the day!
    Note: one of the 'super posters' are just stealing deals from another deals site. Added to the other deals site 11 mins ago.....on HUKD 6 mins ago.

50470835-kJUML.jpg
    50470835-9f3uk.jpg
    50470893-sjWGt.jpg
    50470893-7EBO9.jpgAnd another example

- comments? (edited)
    Author
    Hi, the team has now completed their review of the current logic for assigning this badge, and we hope to release the update this week. This update has the potential to change the number of badges awarded and the recipients of those badges. We believe that this update will address some of the concerns that have been raised.

Regarding content, we strongly discourage plagiarism. If we receive a report that a member has copied content word for word from another forum, our team will conduct a thorough review. We encourage members to submit their own personalised deal and voucher content instead of copying and pasting someone else's submission.

Regarding deals being shared on multiple communities, sometimes offers are posted first on hotukdeals, while other times they may be posted on other communities first. We have no way to confirm the original source of the deal, there is no guarantee that the member saw the post on any community first. As long as the text is unique to the deal poster and the deal is genuine and benefits the hotukdeals community, we allow these deals to be shared.
    Useless
    nearly as useful as a chocolate teapot (edited)
    50441165-R7Abw.jpgSo a super poster is definitely quantity over quality
    Thrilling.
    Not even a cape in sight.
    Super poster today posted over 30 deals and only 2 reached > 100c. Since when was this place about quantity rather than quality? (edited)
    We are reviewing the criteria for the badge, as Sigma mentioned. Should be released soon - thanks for the feedback and for bearing with us!
    @dan @sigma you still need to explain the logic of this new badge I post most days and often in top deals for kids toys and no badge 😞
    Author
    Regarding the technical aspects of how the badges are assigned to members, I'm afraid there isn't a simple 'formula' answer I can provide. However, I can explain the process to some extent. The badge assignment is based on the deals submitted in the previous 28 days, which are reviewed daily. As a result, badge assignments can change each day.

The badge assignment takes into account not only the quantity of deals posted or the simple deal temperature, but also the quality of the deal content shared during the 28-day period. It means that simply posting a large number of deals won't guarantee a badge if the content's quality won't meet the required standards to earn the badge.

Additionally, the senior team regularly reviews the data to identify any areas for improvement or potential refinements in the badge assignment process. This shows that our system is continuously evolving to ensure fair and accurate badge assignments.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the process and the efforts taken to maintain a high standard of quality.
    I suggest a reform of the voting system in parallel. It is far too easy to drag a deal down with zero explanation required.

Here's a deal for a free Kindle book - how to build a bot to post rubbish and influence a website. (edited)
    I think the best change would be to actually allow deal poster to see who is voting and how.
    This morning I am just waiting for brazen somebody to post John Lewis Small Police Helicopter stolen from LD🚨🚔
    Theres some post clocking going on now for super poster status
's avatar
Top Merchants