Tenda nova mw6 (Virgin media)

Posted 9th May 2020
ok so bought the 3 pack of these couple weeks ago and finally got round to setting them up yesterday, pretty simple.

on connecting the first node to the Virgin media hub I was achieving 100Mbps speeds down and a solid 10Mbp up, great!

once I completed the whole setup and added the other two nodes the speed drastically dropped to 30/38Mbps down but the upload remained a solid 10Mbps.

Does anyone know why I'm no longer achieving the max download speed?

bit of a novice when it comes to technical stuff like this so any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I don’t pretend to be an expert but, the first one is connected by Ethernet to your router so you should expect max speeds.
    The others down the line depend on how far they are separated, how much signal attenuation from walls there is and any RF interference.
    How far apart are they and have you turned off the VM ssid broadcast?
    Are all 3 now running between 30/38Mbps or is the one connected to the router still at 100mbps
    Author
    Andyjb2309/05/2020 07:37

I don’t pretend to be an expert but, the first one is connected by E …I don’t pretend to be an expert but, the first one is connected by Ethernet to your router so you should expect max speeds. The others down the line depend on how far they are separated, how much signal attenuation from walls there is and any RF interference. How far apart are they and have you turned off the VM ssid broadcast?

That's right, the VMSH is modem mode & the first mw6 is connected by ethernet. I can achieve mid 40's on this one & the two upstairs low 30's

Also the furthest away node was connected to a playstation by ethernet and was only achieving 8.9mbps down and a measly 896kbps.
    Author
    Pretty much all 3 although the one connected to the super hub achieves around mid 40's.
    I have 2x MW6 on VM in a 3 bedroom house and I'm pretty much getting full speed (113mbps on a speed test I just done) throughout the entire house.

I left my router in regular mode but turned off WiFi, and my Tendas are in Bridge mode so that all my devices are on the same network (192.168.0.xxx). Maybe give that setup a try
    It sounds obvious but are you actually connecting to the other nodes in the house? The app will tell you, it sounds as though you may only be connecting to the master node.
    Can you isolate if its a problem with one of the nodes, do you still get full signal on the master if the others are switched off? If so try switching on the others individually and seeing if one causes a slowdown.
    Also have you checked the wifi speed through the house - not the speed of your connection, that might give a clue to where the problem lies. My wifi speeds vary between 200 and 250mbps throughout the flat, but my connection speed is about 70 to 100mbps, I'm on virgin 100mbps.
    Author
    CHalligan09/05/2020 08:26

I have 2x MW6 on VM in a 3 bedroom house and I'm pretty much getting full …I have 2x MW6 on VM in a 3 bedroom house and I'm pretty much getting full speed (113mbps on a speed test I just done) throughout the entire house. I left my router in regular mode but turned off WiFi, and my Tendas are in Bridge mode so that all my devices are on the same network (192.168.0.xxx). Maybe give that setup a try

I'll experiment tomorrow morning with that and see what happens.
    Author
    slamb09/05/2020 08:58

It sounds obvious but are you actually connecting to the other nodes in …It sounds obvious but are you actually connecting to the other nodes in the house? The app will tell you, it sounds as though you may only be connecting to the master node.Can you isolate if its a problem with one of the nodes, do you still get full signal on the master if the others are switched off? If so try switching on the others individually and seeing if one causes a slowdown.Also have you checked the wifi speed through the house - not the speed of your connection, that might give a clue to where the problem lies. My wifi speeds vary between 200 and 250mbps throughout the flat, but my connection speed is about 70 to 100mbps, I'm on virgin 100mbps.

Yeah the other nodes are connected, they're showing all green on the Tenda WiFi app on my phone. I did them one by one using the app, there's only 10 max connections throughout the house so it's not as if they're being overloaded.

I'll have a test tomorrow and see.
    Looking at the in depth review this appears to be normal behaviour due to the lack of dedicated back haul:

smallnetbuilder.com/wir…t=4

The capacity throughput vs. time plots usually provide some insight into the aggregated results. The Downlink plot clearly shows the root node 2.4 GHz connection getting the highest average throughput, averaging around 190 Mbps. Hop 1 throughput seems lower than it should be, given the 5 GHz client and high bandwidth Hop 1 backhaul. But since one 5 GHz radio must serve both fronthaul (client) and backhaul duties, something has to give. In this case, the Hop 1 connected client gets only an average of around 50 Mbps and the Hop 2 client about half that.

Wi-Fi System Capacity vs. time - Downlink

Wi-Fi System Capacity vs. time - Downlink
    Uplink, on the other hand, shows throughput distribution among the nodes more like I'd expect, with root node the highest averaging around 160 Mbps, Hop 1 averaging closer to 100 Mbps and Hop 2 eking out a paltry 15 Mbps or so.
    Have you updated to latest firmware? Whether that will have an effect or not I'm not sure but I had to update all my nodes using the app
    Maybe move the tendas around? The whole point of the mesh system is to get near enough top speeds.
    OP, did you buy them from amaxon? If so, give back and get the bt ones. Miles better
    Your house may not be big enough. Radio waves are a shared medium and adding more wi-fi transmitters in the same place will reduce speeds.

Try it with two, if you get faster speeds then three then placement/density could well be your problem.
    Author
    EN1GMA09/05/2020 11:46

OP, did you buy them from amaxon? If so, give back and get the bt ones. …OP, did you buy them from amaxon? If so, give back and get the bt ones. Miles better

eBay unfortunately.
    Author
    EndlessWaves09/05/2020 12:15

Your house may not be big enough. Radio waves are a shared medium and …Your house may not be big enough. Radio waves are a shared medium and adding more wi-fi transmitters in the same place will reduce speeds.Try it with two, if you get faster speeds then three then placement/density could well be your problem.

Will do thanks.
    Andrew_Prime09/05/2020 12:18

Will do thanks.

Have you tried moving the nodes around. Also, it takes a few days for them to settle down. I would suggest, give it 48 hours to the system to settle, then look at moving them around etc. My bt took 24 hours to settle.

I was like you, where is my speed but few days later, everything was as it should be.
    Andyjb2309/05/2020 07:37

I don’t pretend to be an expert but, the first one is connected by E …I don’t pretend to be an expert but, the first one is connected by Ethernet to your router so you should expect max speeds. The others down the line depend on how far they are separated, how much signal attenuation from walls there is and any RF interference. How far apart are they and have you turned off the VM ssid broadcast?

Also, switch off the virgin signal if not done so already. Don't put it into modem mode, swifching off signal on the router will do
    With the Tenda kit, depending on your house you really need all the nodes linked via Ethernet/Poweline adaptors as back-haul if possible. I had the same issues with the MW3 kit when I tried them linked with their onboard wifi - poor results all round. As someone said above, you can always try moving them around and make sure they're adequitly spaced apart and not all on top of eatch other.
    EN1GMA09/05/2020 12:24

Also, switch off the virgin signal if not done so already. Don't put it …Also, switch off the virgin signal if not done so already. Don't put it into modem mode, swifching off signal on the router will do

Doing that leaves both devices working as DHCP servers, if they are on different subnets you may find that devices in the home will not be able to communicate with each other as they will have leased an IP address on a different subnet from the different DHCP servers

Better to turn the Virgin Hub to Modem mode and then all devices will use the Mesh for DHCP (edited)
    Author
    freakstyler09/05/2020 12:30

With the Tenda kit, depending on your house you really need all the nodes …With the Tenda kit, depending on your house you really need all the nodes linked via Ethernet/Poweline adaptors as back-haul if possible. I had the same issues with the MW3 kit when I tried them linked with their onboard wifi - poor results all round. As someone said above, you can always try moving them around and make sure they're adequitly spaced apart and not all on top of eatch other.

Not possible to link the node via ethernet, but may be possible with powerline adapters, I have some old devolo dlan 500 powerlines, would these cap my speeds?
    Uridium09/05/2020 18:56

Doing that leaves both devices working as DHCP servers, if they are on …Doing that leaves both devices working as DHCP servers, if they are on different subnets you may find that devices in the home will not be able to communicate with each other as they will have leased an IP address on a different subnet from the different DHCP serversBetter to turn the Virgin Hub to Modem mode and then all devices will use the Mesh for DHCP

I'm just saying what I, and lots of people have done with the virgin hubs and no issues so far.
    EN1GMA09/05/2020 19:16

I'm just saying what I, and lots of people have done with the virgin hubs …I'm just saying what I, and lots of people have done with the virgin hubs and no issues so far.

It is the easiest method I agree and most won't have an issue. Just something to be aware of if the two routers are both left DHCP enabled and devices can't communicate with each other
    Andrew_Prime09/05/2020 19:10

Not possible to link the node via ethernet, but may be possible with …Not possible to link the node via ethernet, but may be possible with powerline adapters, I have some old devolo dlan 500 powerlines, would these cap my speeds?

Depends on how fast your Virgin connection is. If its 100 down and 10 up then using AV500 Powerlines with a 10/100Mbit/s Ethernet connection, you shouldn't really have an issue with internet download speeds. If you move large files around over a home network over wifi, that's another matter. Powerline adaptors with a 10/100Mbit/s Ethernet connection will be a bottleneck when all the the other equipment is Gigabit 1000Mbit/s but if all you're using them for is internet access and the service you get from Virgin is 100Mb download speed or under your 500 Devolo adaptors should do fine.
    Author
    I've had to remove the system completely this morning as it lost connection from other nodes last night and would no reconnect, tried again this morning and when stood next to the prime Mw6 router I could barely achieve 3mbps, not sure what the hell is wrong with it?

Put the super hub back to normal and instantly got 110Mbps down and a solid 10Mbps up so something definitely not right. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants