What to do about Apple Lightning Cables not lasting that long for syncing data?

Posted 28th Jul 2023
I find that Apple cables last a long time when it comes to charging devices. Some of my Apple cables are in their 9th year and still charge my devices.

But when it comes to syncing data between Apple devices and macOS, Apple cables barely last at all.

I just purchased a new official lighting cable 2 months ago, and already it’s failing. When I use the cable to connect an Apple device to macOS, the device just keeps on connecting and disconnecting in the macOS Finder. Of course, I can get a replacement, but this is the 2nd time I’ve done this, so I can’t keep on doing it (both the 2 previous versions only lasted a couple of months for syncing).

Can someone advise what the best approach is? I’ve seen people recommend to use Anker or Belkin cables, but I am not too sure if using non-Apple cables are safe or if they lower the life of device over time (I will be using the cable for both charging and syncing).

Why do Apple cables not last that long for syncing? Is there any way to make them last longer? I take very good care of my cables (even my old ones still look new). Have I just been unlucky with a bad batch?

(Please note: This post is about using cables to sync data between Apple devices and macOS. It is a separate use case from using cables to charge Apple devices. I also know the issue is 100% the cables, because I when I swap the cables with new cables, everything starts working)
Community Updates
New Comment

2 Comments

's avatar
    I personally use the AmazonBasics cables. Their MFI Certified ones work perfectly for syncing.

Like you, I found the Apple ones didn't last very long. Within a few months it was playing up with Apple Carplay. Bought an Anker MFI one which charged fine but didn't handle data transfer to reliably run CarPlay out of the box. But the Amazon ones have been great. I've got a USB-A one that must be about 3 years old now and still going strong. And a USB-C one for the past year that's equally reliable so far.
    Personally using quite a few Anker cables.
    Some versions of them are a lot of more durable then Apple 1s.
    Don’t sync my iPhone so not too sure about data transfer.

Broke a couple of them (while in warranty) had no issues getting replacements easily,
    Their customer support is very good.