YouTube Premium disabling depending on region.

Posted 30th Jun 2023
Today I started getting notifications of "You might start seeing ads now you're in a different country" pop up.

I subscribe to YouTube premium but I used a VPN to get it cheaper. I've been doing it for years for the music and family love no ads. Today I started getting a notification saying because I'm not in the country I signed up in I might get ads.

I guess they're doing similar to Spotify now.

Luckily I have ControlD so I can set it up to always use that location on my network... But my kids are getting the warnings now on their phones.

Maybe this is the next nail in the coffin for cheap Premium I'll have to setup ControlD on the phones too but I'm sure most people don't have it.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    As a YouTube premium user, as said in the title and text you'll see that YouTube premium means you don't need to block ads 😩 totally different subject 🏻
    What country do you use? No issues here with my Turkish sub and I watch a lot of YouTube.
    Author
    I'm on Ukraine. It's not all the time.its very random and so far on mobile only. I haven't actually had an ad show, but had the warning message twice today.

I was on Turkey but when my bank card expired I couldn't resub with Turkey. The only one I could use was Ukraine. (edited)
    I haven't had any issues with my Indian account yet, although i saw someone post the same thing recently and his was india, fingers crossed mine continues to work
    Author
    I don't know what this has to do with YouTube?
    I watch a lot of YouTube as well and I haven't had anything like this.

That said, mine is via Argentina so if the recent Tidal increases are anything to go by, I might have to consider emigrating.
's avatar