YouTube is not happy with ad blocking

Posted 30th Jun 2023
As per this article, YouTube has confirmed they will disable streaming of the free service if a user ignores multiple requests to disable ad blocking. Don't want ads, pay for YouTube Premium.

I won't be surprised if geo checking is also being tested to block the subscription route from Argentina, Turkey, India, etc. I wonder how long ReVanced will last.
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I feel like Youtube is getting closer to just deleting Youtube channels that are breaking the rules. This is why I opted to pay for Premium recently, just feels too risky now.

Also Revanced kept dying on my P30 Pro every few days. (edited)
    I have premium but also use Revanced. I find getting prebuilt ones best. Check this out for them. Always work for me. I mainly use it for SponsorBlock.

github.com/j-h…ses
    They have one that doesnt use Magisk if you dont have it
    The "seperate" ads can be easily circumvented - it's the "in content" ads I hate now, Where the "presenter" starts talking about their sponser - I hate those ones more!
    Sponsorblock ftw
    These cheap VPN subs will end one day, that's for sure, but I do also think they're probably not that far up on the list of priorities for these companies to stop.

They're still getting a subscription revenue so they'd probably have to weigh up the amount they'd lose if they blocked those accounts.
    Author
    As long as ReVanced is at the bottom of the "cut off" list, I am not bothered
    Smarttubenext works great on the Shield. No ads or sponsored content.
    Who buys stuff promoted by an "influencer" on youtube anyway?
    Still fine here but will check later

See twitter have stopped you viewing content without an account ?
    Didn’t they do that a long time ago? Use to scroll over a few tweets and would be prompted to sign up or log in.

The death of 3rd party apps has near zeroed my usage of Twitter and it will likely do the same with Reddit in time! Once YouTube does the same I’ll have so much free time to be on here!
    Today I started getting notifications of "You might start seeing ads now you're in a different country" pop up.

I subscribe to YouTube premium but I used a VPN to get it cheaper. I've been doing it for years for the music and family love no ads. Today I started getting a notification saying because I'm not in the country I signed up in I might get ads.

I guess they're doing similar to Spotify now.

Luckily I have ControlD so I can set it up to always use that location on my network... But my kids are getting the warnings now on their phones.

Maybe this is the next nail in the coffin for cheap Premium I'll have to setup ControlD on the phones too but I'm sure most people don't have it.
    My post was moved here. This is not the same issue. This thread is about blocking ads. My post is about YouTube premium. YouTube premium blocks ads anyway. Totally different topic. I don't know who did this but I hope this can be reverted
    Fine here still no twitter
    Yeah. Since I got those 2 screens I havent had anything else. Maybe they were testing it for the future. So be warned. Hopefully not though
    // My previous post was moved to a topic about YouTube blocking adboockers. This isn't what my post is about. This is about people who subscribe to YouTube Premium and are now being geolocked to continue using it. //

Today I started getting notifications of "You might start seeing ads now you're in a different country" pop up.

I subscribe to YouTube premium but I used a VPN to get it cheaper. I've been doing it for years for the music and family love no ads. Today I started getting a notification saying because I'm not in the country I signed up in I might get ads.

I guess they're doing similar to Spotify now.

Luckily I have ControlD so I can set it up to always use that location on my network... But my kids are getting the warnings now on their phones.

Maybe this is the next nail in the coffin for cheap Premium I'll have to setup ControlD on the phones too but I'm sure most people don't have it.
    I use Ublock Origin on my PC and it blocks ads and never seen any requests to disable ad blocking on youtube, is it on phones mostly? (edited)
    still working here as per the OP

's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants