Alexa Usage

Posted 15th Aug 2023
Good morning, all.

I'm wondering what everyone uses their Alexa devices for. I've had Alexa devices of one form or another for 6 years or so, I think - mainly Dots but also a Show 8. Apart from when I first got one and had a little mess around, I've realised that all I use them for now is to control my smart lights and plugs, listening to the radio, occasionally asking it what the weather's going to be like and as a timer. I don't have any music accounts (Amazon, Spotify etc), and while I do have Audible, I think I am right in assuming that if you ask it to play Audible it will simply play the last book you listened to.

Back when I was getting new Alexas I looked forward to a new one coming out and would likely get the newest Dot. But my Show 8 I've had for about 5 years and my latest Dot was bought for me a couple of Christmases ago.

Am I missing out? Is the Show 10 or 15 worth spending the money on? Are there Skills out there I could be using which would make my life better or more interesting or entertaining?

Interested to know what you folks use yours for.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Similar to you we use it for all the usual things like plugs/lights/timers/music/amazon order updates.
    But we also use ours to control our TV's (e.g. turn on the tv, control the volume, change channels, pause/play, set timers to turn TV off, etc.)
    Author
    Is this controlling the TV in conjunction with a Fire TV or a Fire Stick?
    I am sure we under use them but we solely use them for playing from Spotify and weather updates. We have 6!
    I use mine to remind me when to take my meds and which day to put which bin out. Pretty good also telling me the next time the bus is to x
    Author
    Forgot about the reminders...yeah, it's great for them
    lights, alarm, weather, news, time, and sometimes games
    I use mine specifically to translate "Boris Johnson Carrots One Hundred" in to Welsh (edited)
    How on earth did you figure that one out!
    Get an app that plays sound files backwards and have it play this sentence backwards:
    Oh! You sniff turkey fat!
    I thought they sounded a complete novelty then I bought a refurbed unit cheap and love it.It's a great alarm clock and for music at bedtime,also for reminding me about all sorts of things including taking medicine.
    I thought they where just a novelty item until we won one in a raffle. It now does more or less everything that has been listed on here so far. I also use mine for the heating, curtains & lazyboy. I have quite a few Arduino projects that interface with Alexa as well. The one thing I have yet to configure is the automatic turning off of a light as the wife always turns the light on via Alexa but never turns it off again - I want to automate that so it turns of after 5 minutes (I have tried to convince her to tell Alexa to turn the light on for 5 minutes which would solve the issue, but she never bothers!)

Lots of features have been deprecated though:
    find my phone has been replaced with call my phone
    Send me a sample is closing
    Red Alert now automatically closes (I kid you not I have this trigger when my gas sensor picks up methane!)
    and a few others which I can't recall now!
    I use Google home variations rather than Alexa but same principle I guess. For me it's mostly turning on/off sockets (i have some hidden behind the sofa which i can't reach). I have lamps etc on smart plugs but they are mostly scheduled/dependent upon sunset etc although also used for turning these off when not needed.

Also reminders and alarm clock are the two other main ones.

They are also linked to spotify, which plays over my sonos, where I would bark "next track" at it a lot but this no longer seems to be working as it tells me nothing is playing when it clearly is until i go into the google home app which seems to remind it for a bit, until it forgets again I don't know what that's about.
    I’ve got a few around the house. The ones that get the most use are the Echo Show that’s on my desk in what was the spare bedroom (became an office for WFH at the start of Covid and I still WFH) which I use for music but because I also have a Ring doorbell I have the Ring skill on the Echo Show so I can see who is at the door if the doorbell goes. Got motion detection on the doorbell as well so it automatically shows a view of outside the door on the Echo Show when motion is detected as well as announcing on all the Echo devices around the house. I can have a peek out there as well without having to get up from my seat if I’m working.

The Echo in the kitchen is mainly used for music but also gets a lot me asking Alexa to convert daft American measurements if I’m cooking. Give me grams and ml, not pounds and cups aghhh.
    I use mine for everything. If the compatibility is there, I'm using it. Turning PC on, fans, listening to music, lights and plugs, etc..
    Spotify, radio, kitchen timers, shopping lists, controlling lights, calling people, dropping in on other rooms, checking weather
's avatar