Asda delivery charges on top of pass

Posted 1st Nov 2020
Looks like they have now added pick, pack and delivery charges from today, even with a delivery pass.....

What is the point on a delivery pass?
Community Updates
New Comment

72 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Katie_Cherry04/11/2020 15:02

Nor mine, think its going to be back to the days of waiting until midnight …Nor mine, think its going to be back to the days of waiting until midnight to get a slot.

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so they do free Morrisons delivery on orders over £40
    benwarwick01/11/2020 19:33

You don't pay for a priority pass so why are you on here complaining about …You don't pay for a priority pass so why are you on here complaining about ASDA offering you a free service then complaining when they decide to charge you the standard rate. A midweek delivery pass is £24 a year thats what i have and use it every week with a recurrent slot ASDA was a godsend during lockdown.. your lucky there still offering you a slot in general.

A midweek delivery pass therefore works out at £2 per month. People who have a free priority pass are now being asked to pay £10, £20 or more a month in order to keep their recurring weekly slots over November and December. So could be paying in a month what you pay per year. I've never paid more than £5 per month for an Asda delivery pass.
    Author
    Milly5401/11/2020 20:21

Take no notice of them.

This is why I am not on social media, people have to be unkind and not look beyond their own situation, at no point was I being negative about Asda, I have said in previous threads they have been fab.

However offering an extended delivery pass and charging a month later doesn't not make sense and was purely asking, if anyone else was being charged and also to alert others in a similar situation that they will now face fees.

£20 extra a month for deliveries on top of income being effected, most things needing delivery fees or having to pay membership for free deliveries like Amazon- it soon adds up!

Most bargains tend to be instore like at places such as Aldi and B&M which I cannot go to, I'm sure when the "vulnerable" are taking up beds and the healthy are complaining about being locked up (though some of us have endured very limited outings since March) due to the pressures on the nhs, they still won't look beyond their own situation.
    Author
    SimonB200804/11/2020 13:38

Katie I noticed the same today, so I went into the Asda chat and the …Katie I noticed the same today, so I went into the Asda chat and the automated message told me that they applied the pick / pack charge because my shop was under the threshold of £999. Yes, nine hundred and ninety nine pounds! That would be some weekly shop to get above their threshold?!

Mines the same, says I'm 947.98 away from a free shop..... so tempting to spend another 947.98 to get it free
    42505692-C7L9c.jpgThis is the email they got around 3am today. Like I say no worries of they have to pay, we have the slot we are happy!
    Very grateful to Asda for the pass from March, especially as my wife even works for Tesco and didn't even get an e-mail from them until the lockdown was almost over last time.

We've just come across this as well. Went to place this weeks order and see a £6.50 charge. Even with an Active Priority Delivery Pass. The pass is basically pointless now, as the option to book a recurring slot is being removed in a few weeks due to Christmas. Especially now, as they are still not offering regular Delivery Passes. Would happily purchase a 6 month normal Delivery Pass if that was an option.

The total lack of communication is shambolic.
    I just called Asda to ask them about this and he told me from now until 2nd January you will have to pay for packing and delivery and that charge varies from account to account. I can't remember the day he said it started last week. I got a delivery on 03/11 with free packing/delivery but this week they're charging me £2.50. He couldn't explain why, just this was a directive that was happening and they were getting loads of complaints about it.
    Author
    BarryGrayshon09/11/2020 17:09

A midweek delivery pass therefore works out at £2 per month. People who …A midweek delivery pass therefore works out at £2 per month. People who have a free priority pass are now being asked to pay £10, £20 or more a month in order to keep their recurring weekly slots over November and December. So could be paying in a month what you pay per year. I've never paid more than £5 per month for an Asda delivery pass.

Thats a very good point, I didn't think of it like that... made me feel less "self entitled" as someone said at the start of the thread.
    BarryGrayshon09/11/2020 19:51

I have always understood it as you have to order over £40 worth of goods …I have always understood it as you have to order over £40 worth of goods to qualify for free delivery. You now have to order £999 or over to qualify for this.

I normally chuck in a bottle or two of rum to make it up to the qualifying price, I know that Christmas is coming but I don't think my wife would be too pleased if I spent 1k on rum
    they always do this at xmas time. Over the xmas holidays a delivery pass is useless. If you dont grab a slot in advance you might not even get one.

Last year it was £5, this year is £6. I got an email saying my recurring slot wasnt available, that really anoys me because what they really mean is you have to pay. So its basically another £12 on top of the delivery pass.

Im not sure if Tesco does the same but Im getting fed up with Asda and their dwindling product range, so I think I wont be renewing my pass.
    Katie_Cherry01/11/2020 23:23

This is why I am not on social media, people have to be unkind and not …This is why I am not on social media, people have to be unkind and not look beyond their own situation, at no point was I being negative about Asda, I have said in previous threads they have been fab. However offering an extended delivery pass and charging a month later doesn't not make sense and was purely asking, if anyone else was being charged and also to alert others in a similar situation that they will now face fees. £20 extra a month for deliveries on top of income being effected, most things needing delivery fees or having to pay membership for free deliveries like Amazon- it soon adds up! Most bargains tend to be instore like at places such as Aldi and B&M which I cannot go to, I'm sure when the "vulnerable" are taking up beds and the healthy are complaining about being locked up (though some of us have endured very limited outings since March) due to the pressures on the nhs, they still won't look beyond their own situation.

Yes, I have just noticed this on my mothers account. Even with slots she has already booked. Even though it states in their terms and conditions:

"d) No Delivery slot charge or minimum qualifying spend shall be applied to an order using the Priority Pass."

Her pass is also valid until March 2021.

If this is not a glitch, it is completely out of order.
    I'm glad I found this post as we have been having the same issue. Have a priority pass, and now getting charged delivery. I'm fairly sure there was an email a few weeks ago about it, although it suggested delivery was £1, although I suspect now it said "from £1".

The other half has been trying to get a response from Asda on the phone, but it never gets answered.

Fair enough that delivery needs to be paid for now. However we're now stuck in a more expensive recurring delivery slot than we'd like, and the only way to change it is to cancel it first. Considering lockdown v2 is about to commence, cancelling it is probably not a great idea, so we'll probably just suck it up. If they offered us to upgrade to a paid delivery pass we would probably take it.
    Author
    gribble04/11/2020 09:50

I'm glad I found this post as we have been having the same issue. Have a …I'm glad I found this post as we have been having the same issue. Have a priority pass, and now getting charged delivery. I'm fairly sure there was an email a few weeks ago about it, although it suggested delivery was £1, although I suspect now it said "from £1".The other half has been trying to get a response from Asda on the phone, but it never gets answered. Fair enough that delivery needs to be paid for now. However we're now stuck in a more expensive recurring delivery slot than we'd like, and the only way to change it is to cancel it first. Considering lockdown v2 is about to commence, cancelling it is probably not a great idea, so we'll probably just suck it up. If they offered us to upgrade to a paid delivery pass we would probably take it.

Totally understand, im also stuck in an expensive slot and too nervous to cancel. I guess we will have to suck it up and be grateful of a delivery.

Maybe it is to do with the new Asda take over?
    Katie_Cherry04/11/2020 10:06

Totally understand, im also stuck in an expensive slot and too nervous to …Totally understand, im also stuck in an expensive slot and too nervous to cancel. I guess we will have to suck it up and be grateful of a delivery. Maybe it is to do with the new Asda take over?

Katie I noticed the same today, so I went into the Asda chat and the automated message told me that they applied the pick / pack charge because my shop was under the threshold of £999. Yes, nine hundred and ninety nine pounds! That would be some weekly shop to get above their threshold?! (edited)
    Katie_Cherry04/11/2020 13:46

Mines the same, says I'm 947.98 away from a free shop..... so tempting to …Mines the same, says I'm 947.98 away from a free shop..... so tempting to spend another 947.98 to get it free

Katie imagine the poor delivery driver having to dump all that on your doorstep!! Do you think it's a glitch? I was sure that priority customers didnt pay for the pick and pack?
    Author
    SimonB200804/11/2020 13:48

Katie imagine the poor delivery driver having to dump all that on your …Katie imagine the poor delivery driver having to dump all that on your doorstep!! Do you think it's a glitch? I was sure that priority customers didnt pay for the pick and pack?

For spending a grand at Asda, I would want a red carpet rolled out because I'm "self entitled"

Don't think its a glitch as I read somewhere that from the 1st November the fees will be introduced.

Also reoccurring slots don't work between middle Dec/Jan, so that's a delight
    I've just had exactly the same issue. I managed to get through to customer service ie the Phillipines, and was told 1) there was an IT glitch and 2) the government told Asda they were no longer going to fund the priority delivery pass for shielding customers. Charming! I've told them they should have been very clear about this to customers before it happened. Although I do have a vague recollection several weeks ago of them mentioning a £1 delivery charge. Still a bit of a shock when I placed my order though!
    I cancelled my recurring slot and booked a slot at the cheapest time (Wednesday evening) for £1. It was very easy to do, the most important thing to do is, BEFORE you cancel your recurring slot, check there is a slot available to book, otherwise you will be cancelling your recurring slot with no hope of getting a new one! You may have to go a couple of weeks in the future on the calendar to get a slot at the time you want, but you should already have deliveries set up for the next few weeks on your slot you are going to cancel, so that shouldn't be a problem (cancelling your recurring slot won't affect orders you have already set up with it.)

To cancel and rebook your recurring slot, just go to "Your account", click on "recurring slot" click on "cancel recurring slot" then "confirm" once your recurring slot is cancelled, book a slot for a cheaper time, a window will come up asking if you want to make it a recurring slot, click on that to make it a recurring slot, a window will come up asking whether you want the recurring slot every week or every two weeks, choose which you want and click "continue" a window will come up with your details and confirming "successfully booked the recurring slot.

Hope this helps.
    SimonB200804/11/2020 15:00

Yes I noticed this too. Fortunately we must have loads of delivery vans …Yes I noticed this too. Fortunately we must have loads of delivery vans here because I have no issues changing from my guaranteed slot to another day / time if I need to change it. W/c 19th December might be interesting though - it says Priority pass customers can book these slots from Oct 31 but that week isn't available on my planner yet.....

I think 31st was the date for those with a paid for delivery pass, I had an email saying priority pass customers would have access to Christmas slots (20th-24th December I presume) from 6th November. Might be worth staying up until midnight on 5th, in case they open them up then as I would imagine there will be quite a lot of people trying to get one!
    I'm so glad I found this threat, just been through the same thing with my mum and dad, who have the priority pass from Asda. They have a Sunday slot, and have been fortunate enough to have this free as they are both extremely vulnerable, but this week it added a £5 charge.

I finally got though to ASDA on the phone, and he explained they could change the slot for a cheaper one, which they are happy to do, I was a bit concerned about cancelling the slot, but just done it, and selected them a Wednesday afternoon at £1.75 - which they are more than happy to pay each week.

I'm going to try logging in at midnight tonight to get them their Christmas slots, fingers crossed as I live 100's of miles away, and can't help out in person if they don't get a delivery slot.

Worth noting though, their local Morrisons have also been fantastic, and will take orders over the phone, deliver for free and take payment at the door. It's been such a help, and hoping they keep it up too. Mum is a full time carer for my disabled dad, and is 76 herself, so it's a relief to try and get them sorted for shopping. (edited)
    Had a backwards and forwards email conversation with them and this is the latest email trying to clarify their stance.

42542742-HiKx4.jpg
    Franko6409/11/2020 17:21

Had a backwards and forwards email conversation with them and this is the …Had a backwards and forwards email conversation with them and this is the latest email trying to clarify their stance.[Image]

I have always understood it as you have to order over £40 worth of goods to qualify for free delivery. You now have to order £999 or over to qualify for this.
    Not for me, when I go to check out pick & pack is £0
    42444354-W2D9P.jpg
    Katie_Cherry01/11/2020 17:59

[Image]

When I pick the slot it shows the cost but at checkout it is free. Are you trying to book a everyday slot and only have a midweek slot?
    Author
    Wolfout01/11/2020 18:01

When I pick the slot it shows the cost but at checkout it is free. Are …When I pick the slot it shows the cost but at checkout it is free. Are you trying to book a everyday slot and only have a midweek slot?

No, I have a priority pass that was extended from September which was a lovely gesture. Then from 1st November in the terms and conditions they have added this on top without notifying anyone, so their gesture of a priority delivery pass doesn't seem that much of a kind gesture anymore, other then the fact you have access to food.
    Katie_Cherry01/11/2020 18:05

No, I have a priority pass that was extended from September which was a …No, I have a priority pass that was extended from September which was a lovely gesture. Then from 1st November in the terms and conditions they have added this on top without notifying anyone, so their gesture of a priority delivery pass doesn't seem that much of a kind gesture anymore, other then the fact you have access to food.

Someone posted up about how Asda have now stopped passes for the vulnerable.
    You don't pay for a priority pass so why are you on here complaining about ASDA offering you a free service then complaining when they decide to charge you the standard rate. A midweek delivery pass is £24 a year thats what i have and use it every week with a recurrent slot ASDA was a godsend during lockdown.. your lucky there still offering you a slot in general. (edited)

You don't pay for a priority pass so why are you on here complaining about …You don't pay for a priority pass so why are you on here complaining about ASDA offering you a free service then complaining when they decide to charge you the standard rate. A midweek delivery pass is £24 a year thats what i have and use it every week with a recurrent slot ASDA was a godsend during lockdown.. your lucky there still offering you a slot in general.

We were massively grateful to just be able to get food! Fortunately for them, I guess others weren’t stranded with nothing like we were.

This pass was for people assigned by government who should have been shielding and vunerable. ASDA opted in for free delivery for these people in society, as they are the most likely to struggle and can't just 'pop to the shop'. They have now taken that away, added a min spend of £40, and charging up to £8 for delivery. (edited)
    Katie_Cherry04/11/2020 14:20

For spending a grand at Asda, I would want a red carpet rolled out because …For spending a grand at Asda, I would want a red carpet rolled out because I'm "self entitled" Don't think its a glitch as I read somewhere that from the 1st November the fees will be introduced. Also reoccurring slots don't work between middle Dec/Jan, so that's a delight

Yes I noticed this too. Fortunately we must have loads of delivery vans here because I have no issues changing from my guaranteed slot to another day / time if I need to change it. W/c 19th December might be interesting though - it says Priority pass customers can book these slots from Oct 31 but that week isn't available on my planner yet.....
    Author
    SimonB200804/11/2020 15:05

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so they do free Morrisons delivery on orders …Do you have Amazon Prime? If so they do free Morrisons delivery on orders over £40

Yes, I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up
    Katie_Cherry04/11/2020 15:10

Not available in my area, but hopefully will help someone

Aww that’s pants
    audrey.whitney04/11/2020 20:24

2) the government told Asda they were no longer going to fund the priority …2) the government told Asda they were no longer going to fund the priority delivery pass for shielding customers. Charming!

They never were funded by government, it was all to do with just certain supermarkets going above and beyond the rest. (edited)
    Author
    Nik_Sat04/11/2020 22:03

I cancelled my recurring slot and booked a slot at the cheapest time …I cancelled my recurring slot and booked a slot at the cheapest time (Wednesday evening) for £1. It was very easy to do, the most important thing to do is, BEFORE you cancel your recurring slot, check there is a slot available to book, otherwise you will be cancelling your recurring slot with no hope of getting a new one! You may have to go a couple of weeks in the future on the calendar to get a slot at the time you want, but you should already have deliveries set up for the next few weeks on your slot you are going to cancel, so that shouldn't be a problem (cancelling your recurring slot won't affect orders you have already set up with it.) To cancel and rebook your recurring slot, just go to "Your account", click on "recurring slot" click on "cancel recurring slot" then "confirm" once your recurring slot is cancelled, book a slot for a cheaper time, a window will come up asking if you want to make it a recurring slot, click on that to make it a recurring slot, a window will come up asking whether you want the recurring slot every week or every two weeks, choose which you want and click "continue" a window will come up with your details and confirming "successfully booked the recurring slot. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I have had £5 added today. And also in green a notification for the reason. I needed to spend a further £894 to gain free delivery !! I have a free pass till match 2021
    Just to add, Asda did give free deliveries for priority passes unlike Tesco etc.
    Also they had no minimum basket charge.
    I had to pay to use priority pass on tesco in wifes name when I could not get a del slot on tesco in my account even though I pay for a pass.
    Tesco charge £4.50 priority slots and have done for a long time.
    I think asda have been outstanding to people with the help they have given,
    deleted419705/11/2020 15:04

Just to add, Asda did give free deliveries for priority passes unlike …Just to add, Asda did give free deliveries for priority passes unlike Tesco etc.Also they had no minimum basket charge.I had to pay to use priority pass on tesco in wifes name when I could not get a del slot on tesco in my account even though I pay for a pass.Tesco charge £4.50 priority slots and have done for a long time.I think asda have been outstanding to people with the help they have given,

My parents aren't annoyed at paying now, but were a bit shocked at the £5 charge for their slot. They are happy now I've changed them to a cheaper one. The Christmas one is a worry though, fingers crossed.
    Seems weird that they send an email saying you can book a free slot, but then charge for it. They don't mind the £6 if not, but ever penny counts to pensioners. I was just pleased to get a slot, felt a bit like getting tickets for a festival, when they were still a thing!
    "Midnight Friday" to me suggested it would be later tonight. Glad I came back to check this thread, got a slot for 22nd Dec.

Know what you mean about the substitutes. I'm just hopeful the van makes it with something. Had a few instances of van breakdowns this year for which they have no backup.
's avatar
Top Merchants