Best or cheapest method of withdrawing or spending money in Turkey?

Posted 12th Feb 2022
Can somebody share their experiences of spending or withdrawing money from Turkey if you are from UK?. I don’t want to exchange cash at airport as it was very low last time i went. Has anyone used Wise or something else? They claim you can store turkish Lira
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    JawadAli12/02/2022 11:36

And do you get charged extra like Atm fees in Turkey?Did you use them …And do you get charged extra like Atm fees in Turkey?Did you use them internationally?

Yes, used Starling internationally. Excellent exchange rate. They don't charge a fee to withdraw cash but the machine owner might, so check first. Also, never ever accept the machine's offer to debit your account in £ "for your convenience". There is a markup in that exchange rate which most people will struggle to figure out. Let your card handle the exchange rate by always choosing to debit your account in local currency.
    Wise, Revolut, Starling Bank - just use one of theirs card and pay in local currency by card.

They will exchange it for best possible current rate.

With Starling "You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300, regardless of what currency you are withdrawing. Every Starling card has this limit, and using one card does not alter the allowance of another."

While with Revolut you have only £300 per month without an extra fee.
    Admast7912/02/2022 11:05

Wise, Revolut, Starling Bank - just use one of theirs card and pay in …Wise, Revolut, Starling Bank - just use one of theirs card and pay in local currency by card.They will exchange it for best possible current rate.With Starling "You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300, regardless of what currency you are withdrawing. Every Starling card has this limit, and using one card does not alter the allowance of another."While with Revolut you have only £300 per month without an extra fee.

Just be aware that Starling is a full fledged bank account, not just a prepaid travel card as many people believe. Excellent experience with them for almost 4 years.
    I'm typing this in Venice. Have used Revolut to withdraw cash free from a "proper" bank ATM, but tourist Euronet ATMs wanted a 3.95euro fee. Careful which machines you use, although they seem to advise you if they'll charge a fee and give you chance to cancel. (edited)
    Don't forget that many of the machines in tourist areas not only want to rip you off with a service fee, but will often give a crap exchange rate. Absolutely never let a machine or business charge you in your currency. Always pay in the local currency.
    Starling works very well online and abroad. Never had a problem.
    Starling, and perhaps others, will allow you to deactivate your card from your phone, so when the local thieves do get your wallet they can't use the card.
    If anyone very near you gets out a fold out map, be very cautious. Your belongings are about to get tapped
    Author

Wise, Revolut, Starling Bank - just use one of theirs card and pay in …Wise, Revolut, Starling Bank - just use one of theirs card and pay in local currency by card.They will exchange it for best possible current rate.With Starling "You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300, regardless of what currency you are withdrawing. Every Starling card has this limit, and using one card does not alter the allowance of another."While with Revolut you have only £300 per month without an extra fee.

Do you what’s the purpose of storing currency like in Wise? Can you take it out when you are in Turkey?
    Author

And do you get charged extra like Atm fees in Turkey?

bozo00712/02/2022 11:32

Just be aware that Starling is a full fledged bank account, not just a …Just be aware that Starling is a full fledged bank account, not just a prepaid travel card as many people believe. Excellent experience with them for almost 4 years.

Did you use them internationally? (edited)
    I always use Revolut when in Marmaris on holiday, like anywhere atm fees vary depending on the Atm machine and location, I always try to use ones at the local bank instead of in high traffic tourist areas like the marina.
    Author
    tcf12/02/2022 12:48

I'm typing this in Venice. Have used Revolut to withdraw cash free from a …I'm typing this in Venice. Have used Revolut to withdraw cash free from a "proper" bank ATM, but tourist Euronet ATMs wanted a 3.95euro fee. Careful which machines you use, although they seem to advise you if they'll charge a fee and give you chance to cancel.

Thankyou i will keep that in mind
    My mate uses Revolut and recommends it to everyone. He went abroad <1yr ago and said the card was accepted everywhere
    JawadAli12/02/2022 15:16

Thankyou i will keep that in mind

Used my Starling card for all my spending on holiday in France a couple of weeks ago, with no currency conversion fees, which makes a pleasant change from previous years when I was charged fees using my Barclaycard.

It's Mastercard Debit card. Last time I checked, Mastercard gives you a slightly better conversion rate than Visa.

Starling is a bank account, so you can just load it up with as much as you need and it's easy to keep track of your spending using the app.

Last time I was in Turkey, there was a huge choice of ATMS. For some reason you often see several together. Just try a few until you find one that charges no fee. (edited)
    Muig197212/02/2022 16:12

Used my Starling card for all my spending on holiday in France a couple of …Used my Starling card for all my spending on holiday in France a couple of weeks ago, with no currency conversion fees, which makes a pleasant change from previous years when I was charged fees using my Barclaycard.It's Mastercard Debit card. Last time I checked, Mastercard gives you a slightly better conversion rate than Visa.Starling is a bank account, so you can just load it up with as much as you need and it's easy to keep track of your spending using the app.Last time I was in Turkey, there was a huge choice of ATMS. For some reason you often see several together. Just try a few until you find one that charges no fee.

What does "loading a bank account" mean? I have not seen a bank account referred that way.
    I use starling and revolut, as others have said just use atm when in the country and select local currency, ignore all the warning you may be charged as you won't be, unless you choose the atm providers exchange rate.

Airport ones are usually a good call as soon as you get off the plane.
's avatar