Constructive Thoughts On These Laptops

Posted 31st Jul 2023
Hi

My laptop died yesterday and I've been looking for a replacement. I wonder what peoples' thoughts are on these two laptops. Just checking I'm not missing anything.

asus.com/uk/…ome

The best prices I can find are £379 for the X1605 and the X1702 for £388.

Main differences I can see are:

Screen size X1605 is 16 inch v 17.3 inch.
Screen brightness X1605 300 nits and X1702 250 nits.
CPU for the X1702 inch is better according to CPU comparison sites on multi-core tasks.
CPU for the X1605 has a lower TDW and power consumption.
X1605 has a backlit keyboard.

I did look at the Dell deal here but other than the bigger SSD I think I prefer these as they are both IPS panels and have better CPU's I believe. I've seen a few Lenovos but they seem to solder their ram in and I may upgrade to 16GB at a later date.

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Forget about the size of an SSD in your decision. If you need to upgrade an SSD they are as cheap as chips (or maybe a large cod & chips with mushy peas).
    Where are you seeing either at such low prices (compare the specs)?

I cant find either of these laptop at low prices with "high" specs

I search for ASUS Vivobook x1702 and found one at £388 (price you found) on the site below but that only has an i3 whereas the ASUS link you posted says "up to i7" CPU model

meshcomputers.com/Def…HOP

And when I search for ASUS Vivobook x1605 it comes up with the laptop below at 379.99 (price you found) but it is a totally different model (X1500). Most of the X1605's I find are in the £500 plus price range.

uk.store.asus.com/asu…BwE (edited)
    Author
    They are both on Mesh and both have i3 processors not the higher spec ones. I only posted the Asus link as it had the compare function. Both of those i3 are plenty fast enough for me.
    Author
    Screen size doesn't matter. I'm just slightly leaning towards the 16" as it has a brighter screen and I do plan to use it outdoors if the summer ever returns for streaming tv/videos.
's avatar