Electric car charge point installation question

Posted 21st Jul 2021
At my friend's work they've all started to be moved over to electric cars.

He's recently moved into a Victorian terrace with no chance of parking at the front, pavement Infront of the house and no dropped curve etc. At the back his street and the street behind his house share a wide (three car widths) alley, which usually has a few cars/vans down it (charging or maybe work vans for better access into rear garages).

The garage at the rear of his property and the two metre wide strip down the side for access into his rear garden is owned by Northern power. They have no problem with his family walking down by the garage for access and even keeping his bins down there etc.

If he were to have the charge point at the very rear of his garden, what would be the change Northern power would allow a trailing cable through their bit of strip?

Also his work have said the cable can't go over pavements or someone else's land, but if they grant permission might they be ok with it?

I'm only asking because he was going to phone Northern Power and I didn't think that would be the best idea right now.

His work need the charge point to give him the electric car, but he wouldn't actually need to charge it at home very frequently at all, if ever. He works in various retail shops with charging points there.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I work at an employer that is switching its fleet over to electric and they are installing charge points at all sites. Some of the newer cars have 300m range on a charge, so he may not need to charge that often. We’ve also just had some of those new ultra chargers that can deliver up to 150kwh charging installed in the town so something like a Tesla or Jaguar would charge in about half an hour (and there is a McDonalds and Starbucks on site).

So yeah, I’d leave it until it becomes a problem. I had a charging point at the old house but decided not to install one when I moved as we weren’t eligible for the grant. That was two years ago and the number of available public chargers locally has trebled since then, so we’ve never bothered.
    Author
    MondayMonday21/07/2021 12:07

I work at an employer that is switching its fleet over to electric and …I work at an employer that is switching its fleet over to electric and they are installing charge points at all sites. Some of the newer cars have 300m range on a charge, so he may not need to charge that often. We’ve also just had some of those new ultra chargers that can deliver up to 150kwh charging installed in the town so something like a Tesla or Jaguar would charge in about half an hour (and there is a McDonalds and Starbucks on site).So yeah, I’d leave it until it becomes a problem. I had a charging point at the old house but decided not to install one when I moved as we weren’t eligible for the grant. That was two years ago and the number of available public chargers locally has trebled since then, so we’ve never bothered.

I think at the moment they are saying you need a charging point at home or you don't get a car.
    Its a tricky one.
    Well all I see us some one tripping over the cable and where there's blame there's a claim..
    MIDURIX21/07/2021 19:52

I think at the moment they are saying you need a charging point at home or …I think at the moment they are saying you need a charging point at home or you don't get a car. Its a tricky one.

Can't he just have the charging point fitted even though it is in a useless position, then he gets the car and charges elsewhere.
    Some councils (eg Oxford) are allowing cable gully’s to be put across pavements to allow residents to charge cars. Contact your local council see what they suggest/allow
's avatar
Top Merchants