Hernias and problems relating to them.

Posted 6th Jul 2023
Has anyone had a hernia in their lower groin before? I think I may have an inguinal or femoral hernia. Around 6 months ago a felt a pretty sudden loss of libido, to the point that I can now go weeks without even thinking about that type of stuff.
I went for a blood test and the testosterone came back low, so I had another test and it came back normal. So that seems not to be the problem.

I have since started feeling discomfort in my lower groin area. It feels like there is a bubble there and it's compressing something connected my privates and causing loss of sensation there.

Im going to get an ultrasound whenever they decide to get me booked in but in the meantime I was wondering if something like this is a common occurrence in hernias??
When I look them up online I can't really find much information about them causing loss of feeling/sensation in your private areas but this is definitely happening to me and is worrying.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Had an op in March for Inguinal Hernia, no loss of libido but as mas99 says it could be causing pressure on a nerve.

I had a large one on the right side and smaller on the left and was only referred as they were causing pain/discomfort, affecting work and slowly increasing in size otherwise I'd have just put up with it.

No idea of which health authority you come under but there can be a hell of a wait, I was referred while at the Doctor, 10 days later I get a letter saying I was on a waiting list, heard nothing until 12 months after that when they got in touch saying it''d be another 12 months wait or they'd pay for private treatment at a hospital an hour away from me.

Took up the offer and saw the consualtant who had no idea why I was there until I told him ! No scan just literally drop my cacks so he could see and decide which side I wanted fixing as they'd only fund one of them, bloody crazy.

Had the op about 3 weeks later and kicked up a bit of a fuss while I was in there and not until signing the consent form did he tell me that I could've waited a few months more and they'd have done both sides closer to home on the NHS. As it was he managed to do something while only doing the one side so the smaller one has disappeared as well. Booked 5 weeks holiday off work to recover and now 3 months on pretty much back to normal apart from some numbness and a weird tugging/slight pain by the right testicle which is getting better.

Sorry for the long post but say the right things if you need it sorting, pain, discomfort affecting work etc
    Author
    Oh wow, sounds like you have had a nightmare. I can't believe the waiting time they told you, it's just astounding. I havnt been diagnosed yet, I have been told I'm getting an altra sound scan to determine the problem. I think I might quite naively, be expecting a letter through the door with an appointment next week, followed by a little op a couple of weeks later.

The pain is definitely getting worse though, it now hurts to cough and sneezing is very painful.
    I've had hernias. never had that specific issue.

The lack of sensation I do get - after repair I have a small patch of skin just above and to the side of my equipment which has no sensation. They did warn that it is a possible consequence of the surgery because of the way that the nerves are.

I had an initial keyhole repair done (they went in through my tummy button) but that failed after a year or so and they did an open repair with a cut in my groin - thats when the sensation loss happened.

The bubble thing does sound like hernia and I can see that if a nerve is trapped it might have an effect.
    I've been told that in some places they are not doing hernia repairs any more (due to nhs funding cuts) unless there are significant issues,
    Sounds like you do have good reason to be pushing for action. My GP referred me straight away and then it was just a couple of months until the surgery.
    Author
    Ah this is what I'm scared of, losing sensation down there and not regaining my normal feeling

I'm feeling quite low with it the way it is now, I was sort of expecting maybe to have a quick op, back on my feet in a few days and my equipment working as normal.