How to remover paint from car boot carpet

Posted 29th Jun 2023
Hi all, coming back home, I had Cuprinol paint in boot of my car, unopened. On opening boot found out the lid had come off and the paint had spilt in the boot, acrpet soiled. Had wiped with tissues but this has left white mark on the carpet. How can I get this cleaned if doing myself? Any suggestions
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Possibly depends on the type of paint

If water based, just take the carpet out if possible and hose it down.

Anything else, may be worth doing the same now BEFORE it dries!

Else some carpet stain removers or thinners may work
    Let it dry completely then use a wire brush (not a harsh one) to gently disturb & flake the paint. Vacuum & repeat. Second time around I would be tempted to use a wet vacuum.

Then as others have said, get it out & jet wash it. Failing that, go to a scrap yard & get a second hand one in good condition or use a rug. (edited)
    Could be worse, I had a whole tin of Cuprinol Shades do the same in the passenger footwell of my Merc

Was one of those "God please make that didn't happen" moments

It's water based so does wash out. Takes a lot of washing though.

Even managed to save half the paint scooped out of the footwell....

50476972-pnftu.jpg
    50476972-O3MQl.jpg (edited)
    Should have just painted the whole interior that colour, nobody would have known
    Author
    thanks. but why can't you get it clean, is it - not possible, too complicated or there are no products to clean
    This happened to my car many years ago with emulsion paint. No matter how hard I tried to clean the mess it still left a big white stain.
    Peel Tec spray can. CT1 Also has a version I've seen in Wickes.
    Also there is a product called pretty boy but I'd go with the the spray.

Whatever you use it may effect the original matt colour especially if you leave on too long. I've not had that happen to me yet but what rep told me (edited)
    How dod this go ?
    I would of jet washed it immediately when it had just happened, im guessing if you let it dry you'll never get it back to normal
    Author
    Thanks for your suggestions, one thing I learnt from this if paint drops clean or jet wash asap leaving for too long just ruins the carpet as in my case.... gud luck and I wish you must never come across this situation
's avatar