Lease Car, have I missed the boat?

Posted 9th Jun 2021
Hi, Looking for a 2nd car, 5 doors fiesta, corsa or similar size. I weighed up the pros and cons of leasing, to buy, hire purchase, PCP, etc. Made my mind up in the Last few months after frequently seeing lease deals at an average cost of £1800 to £2300 a year (my budget), new car every 2 or 3 year, not having to m.o.t, car under manufacturers warranty etc, leasing made sense to me. My question is where are all these deals now? In the last month the price of leasing has rocketed all of a sudden. Maybe I'm just being impatient, but looked at all the popular leasing companies not much in that price range now....
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    44918245-nGhLp.jpg
    Every car deal has gone up.
    My mate wanted an MG ZS EV Exclusive.
    During lockdown a pre reg 70 plate was £20,500 with 10 miles on the clock.
    On the 12th April dealers opened and price went up to £21,500 for the same car.
    2 weeks later he could get a 21 reg with 10 miles for £21.500.
    Today they are £23,500 same car at same dealer, I checked the reg.
    High demand and low stock I assume.
    The biggest factor in lease car pricing is always resale value or rather, estimated of value maintained at the end of the period.

There for the best "deals" are always on models like a Golf R rather than the lower spec model but of course, that does not always mean cheapest.

So if your looking for a deal thinking you want a Focus 1.0 Turbo Zetec spec. it probably aint gonna happen, a late delivered A class is likely to be a similar price.

The UK car market is a wash with one thing, EX LEASE CARS, they are parked up on make shift carparks, on old race tracks. etc. B/c export markets where they make most money getting rid of cars like company spec BMWs, few year old Toyotas etc. are currently in the dumps. Think Nigeria, India, etc.

Very few of these cars make it back to UK used market, can you imagine the price of used cars here if they did!?

Finally, lots of people are buying new cars at the moment and lots of people leasing new cars and production is low. No one is spitting out these cars with the desperation to sell as they were pre covid.

Lastly, "big names" in leasing never give good deals, at least are not going to advertise their lowest possible price why do they need to? They have spent the last 5-6 years amassing customers who dont think, therefore think they are getting good deals. You need to get on the phone and push down.

£1800 a year for a rental including the down payment is not much money at all. End of line of Volvo V40s went for that on 18 month contracts. What else?
    The semiconductor shortage is resulting in slower car production and COVID restrictions easing is probably increasing demand.
    Author
    groenleader10/06/2021 07:43

The biggest factor in lease car pricing is always resale value or rather, …The biggest factor in lease car pricing is always resale value or rather, estimated of value maintained at the end of the period. There for the best "deals" are always on models like a Golf R rather than the lower spec model but of course, that does not always mean cheapest. So if your looking for a deal thinking you want a Focus 1.0 Turbo Zetec spec. it probably aint gonna happen, a late delivered A class is likely to be a similar price. The UK car market is a wash with one thing, EX LEASE CARS, they are parked up on make shift carparks, on old race tracks. etc. B/c export markets where they make most money getting rid of cars like company spec BMWs, few year old Toyotas etc. are currently in the dumps. Think Nigeria, India, etc. Very few of these cars make it back to UK used market, can you imagine the price of used cars here if they did!? Finally, lots of people are buying new cars at the moment and lots of people leasing new cars and production is low. No one is spitting out these cars with the desperation to sell as they were pre covid. Lastly, "big names" in leasing never give good deals, at least are not going to advertise their lowest possible price why do they need to? They have spent the last 5-6 years amassing customers who dont think, therefore think they are getting good deals. You need to get on the phone and push down.£1800 a year for a rental including the down payment is not much money at all. End of line of Volvo V40s went for that on 18 month contracts. What else?

Your right £1800 isn't a lot of money, as I said £1800 to just over 2.2k a year have been available, quick search on hukd and you'll find corsa's, Clio's and the like. Not the flashiest but they're brand new and will do me....
    I think lease deals are banned, I think someone asked before and someone stated this.
    Bossworld07/08/2021 11:23

Comment deleted

Yeah I've been trying to find some, anyone know where they have all gone?
    People can't work out money and were getting in to debt through the ads posted on here so they are banned.
    Can you get a lease through work? I can get an Electric Seat Mii for £135 inc insurance, servicing, breakdown, tyres etc. A leaf is £199, mini/corsa £229, kona £239 etc. All electric as the prices are way cheaper than the ICE equivalents and if I was getting a new/lease I'd go EV now. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants