Mobile Roaming Charges and OFCOM

Posted 20th Jul 2023
`Ofcom wants people to be alerted about potential fees for roaming - using minutes, texts or data outside the UK.

It says one in five people currently do not realise they face such fees when travelling.

Under the plans, customers must also be told about any action they can take to limit roaming-related charges.`

Ofcom proposes new rules to curb fees. Nothing is going to happen till 2024 but an interesting article
bbc.com/new…470
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've always got a text when I've landed .... welcome to X country, you'll be charged X for data, X for calls etc.
    Author
    Which network is that for interest? Most people turn off roaming if not required to avoid unwanted accidental charges.
    Here we go again
    I spent 20 minutes on the throne earlier making sure no apps could roam free in the wild if I so much as stepped outside my front door!
    Great news, we'll be going back to exactly where we were about 10-15 years ago, when the roaming cap and mandatory "welcome" text were introduced.

Why on earth they removed this regulation (it carried over initially, but the government in all its wisdom decided the "free market" would do better).

Maybe in another 10 years we'll get free roaming back with our neighbours again (they're busy trying to expand it to the Balkans/Ukraine instead...)
's avatar