New gigabit subscriber looking for router options

Posted 15th Aug 2023
Hi all just looking for opinions on a better router than the one supplied by Sky. Just upgraded to their 900mb Gigabit connection and although wired I'm getting pretty good speeds, WiFi leaves a lot to be desired. I've read that people get far better WiFi speeds with their own routers so just looking for opinions. Looking for something around the £100 mark.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'd recommend you look for a router that has at least 1 x 2.5Gb port - provided you have a PC with a 2.5Gb port as well, otherwise you'll not be able to take advantage of that speed.
    Note that even with the fastest consumer WiFi 6 router the speed will top out at around 868 Mbps any way...
    Unless you actually have a purpose for maxing out a 1Gb line regularly I would not worry about a 2.5Gb port/router unless future proofing. I am a heavy user, lots of devices, many people, etc, and I still have not worried about even running 2.5Gb as its simply not needed.

I'd say focus on what is important to you - be it range, WiFi 6/6E, mesh or similar, take a look at expert reviews or similar based on what you want.
    900mb gigabit? - how do they get away with their marketing lol
    They get away with it as they call it 'GigaFAST'...and then state 900mb average download speeds...so you could get more, but covers them too.