New LG tv... light bleed ?

Posted 28th Oct 2020
  • received my new LG tv today.. has a really annoying patch of light to the left on dark screens. is this normal or faulty?

3572718-GykSM.jpg3572718-gIKmc.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    One World

OLED
    It is back-light bleed. But dependent on the TV technology, it may be quite normal.

Either way, if you aren't happy with it, I'd just return it.
    Author
    RYANdeals28/10/2020 18:14

It is back-light bleed. But dependent on the TV technology, it may be …It is back-light bleed. But dependent on the TV technology, it may be quite normal.Either way, if you aren't happy with it, I'd just return it.

Its VA direct lit
    makershaker28/10/2020 18:15

Its VA direct lit

I would say that is probably normal.

But certainly think you would be able to return it as faulty if you are unhappy with it. Then you can chance a replacement being better. And if it's not, you'll know you either need to put up with it or try a different technology.
    Looks like edge lit maybe rather than full array back lighting so is quite normal.
    Author
    a666andy28/10/2020 18:26

Looks like edge lit maybe rather than full array back lighting so is quite …Looks like edge lit maybe rather than full array back lighting so is quite normal.

The TV is direct lit
    makershaker28/10/2020 18:32

The TV is direct lit

A cheaper version than edge lit these days and same possible issues as there is likely no local dimming like a full array would have
    Author
    a666andy28/10/2020 18:49

A cheaper version than edge lit these days and same possible issues as …A cheaper version than edge lit these days and same possible issues as there is likely no local dimming like a full array would have

So you think its normal? Can only really see it on certain dark screens.

The rest of the TV edge is fine.. just that one small bit in the corner. Annoying the life out of me
    Light bleed is quite normal for these types of screens, some worse than others and will likely normally be there on all to a certain extent. You notice it in certain areas as the lights need to be on to show you the other parts of the screen (like the logos for warzone in your pics). As there is nothing to light up in the corners you'll normally see a bit of light shining through as there is no picture there to hide it.

That said, depending on the price / quality of the set and retailer, they may possibly accept a return for it or may say that it's normal.

Ps have you tried turning the backlight down? (edited)
    I had this with my most recent LG TV. I read on a forum that if you turn it off then use a micro fiber cloth to wipe over the screen firmly but not too firm then it will reduce this and the more the TV is used it should fade.
    Go to john Lewis or curries see if thay have on display see its the same. Then you will have your answer
    a666andy28/10/2020 19:01

Ps have you tried turning the backlight down?

Yep - try turning down the backlight in settings when watching in low light. You’ll get better blacks/ contrast too. Some tvs will do this automatically - some don’t.
    devshib28/10/2020 19:50

Go to john Lewis or curries see if thay have on display see its the same. …Go to john Lewis or curries see if thay have on display see its the same. Then you will have your answer

Good luck with that.

"I am sorry, but can you turn off the shop lights so I can check light bleed on TV?"

Not gonna happen
    deleted78949828/10/2020 19:40

I had this with my most recent LG TV. I read on a forum that if you turn …I had this with my most recent LG TV. I read on a forum that if you turn it off then use a micro fiber cloth to wipe over the screen firmly but not too firm then it will reduce this and the more the TV is used it should fade.

It doesn't fade usually

This looks like your typical LCD display though. I would get a replacement to see if it's any better. (edited)
    that’s why OLED is so popular
's avatar
Top Merchants