Received unknown paypal payment

Posted 29th Mar 2022
I just received a £40 paypal payment in my paypal account. Transferred by friends and family and from an email address I do not recognize. 15 minutes after this transfer I received a money request for the £40 to my paypal account with a note saying "I sent payment to you by mistake can you refund it back please".
The email my paypal uses is pretty unusual and so pretty unlikely it could be accidentally mis-typed by someone and the email account is only used for purchases and bills, not personal emails,
I have no desire to keep the money, but is it possible I could be opening myself to a scam if I issue a refund of the money.
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No-one on here can commit 100% that this is not a scam of some description. If nothing else, the sender will have confirmation that there is an active account holder on the other end of the email address. Who knows what info the sender has access to that could enable them to take further steps.

My suggestion would be to talk to Paypal on Chat to get their commitment a) that it isn't a scam and b) that you face no risk from issuing the refund AND c) keep a copy of the conversation. For preference, I would ask Paypal to make the refund, not myself.
    Speak to PayPal. There are scams where someone uses a stolen card to send money, then gets people to refund it then the original payment gets frozen and you’ve lost your money.
    Just click refund button, they can’t scam you for a refund.

regardless how unique you think your email is there are billions who have multiple email addresses so chances are there will be some similar ones..
    Mistakes happen. I understand being paranoid but we need to balance it with reality as well. And just because you think your email address is unusual doesn't mean no one from the 8 Bn people on the planet hasn't thought about something similar.
    I would contact PayPal and let them deal with it.
    donster29/03/2022 10:57

Thanks for all the replies. Relieved to find it is at least not a known …Thanks for all the replies. Relieved to find it is at least not a known scam method. I have spoken to paypal now and they advised using the refund option and not the invoice request that was sent. I have now done that. I also asked for this to be noted on my account which they did. Hopefully no more will come of it.Here is a bit more info on the email addresses. Mine is of the format f******@hush.ai which I have never seen anyone else use. The senders email format was johnsmith1970@talktalk (not the actual address, his is another english name and date) so did not seem to be a scammers type of address but you never know.Thanks again all.

The fact they asked you to refund it via invoice indicates it is indeed a scam and yes there are known scams via this method.

As I said above you pay them the money and they then claim the transaction was unauthorised. (edited)
    This is a common scam on many platforms.

Never manually refund them yourself. Don’t touch the money, it will most likely be claimed back at some point. The money generally comes from stolen cards.
    I agree with fiestasteve44, contact PayPal and explain the problem with the transaction and your concerns (e.g. difficult for them to have mistyped your unusual email address) and let PayPal sort it out. They will be able to run checks on the senders account. If the sender contacts you again just tell them that PayPal are sorting it out.
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies. Relieved to find it is at least not a known scam method. I have spoken to paypal now and they advised using the refund option and not the invoice request that was sent. I have now done that. I also asked for this to be noted on my account which they did. Hopefully no more will come of it.
    Here is a bit more info on the email addresses. Mine is of the format f******@hush.ai which I have never seen anyone else use. The senders email format was johnsmith1970@talktalk (not the actual address, his is another english name and date) so did not seem to be a scammers type of address but you never know.
    Thanks again all.
    deleted278710529/03/2022 08:37

Speak to PayPal. There are scams where someone uses a stolen card to send …Speak to PayPal. There are scams where someone uses a stolen card to send money, then gets people to refund it then the original payment gets frozen and you’ve lost your money.

If they refund the refund will go back to the original payment source. Unless they manually issue them £40 as opposed to using the refund option.
    .MUFC.29/03/2022 13:58

If they refund the refund will go back to the original payment source. …If they refund the refund will go back to the original payment source. Unless they manually issue them £40 as opposed to using the refund option.

That’s my point. Lots of people will think a refund is both of those options. Eg led by a scammer. The OP mentioned the person had asked them to refund it via an invoice….SCAM.. (edited)
    Timing and amount is a Disney payment if you ask me lol.
    You should just be able to refund the £40 back even if by F+F if I am not mistaken (Not sure now!).
    Author
    loopylloyd29/03/2022 05:51

You should just be able to refund the £40 back even if by F+F if I am not …You should just be able to refund the £40 back even if by F+F if I am not mistaken (Not sure now!).

I do have a refund option under the payment, just very suspicious about how it was paid and whether using the refund option is wise.
    Yes definitely contact PayPal to help, have you tried a Google search on the sender's email address or even copy and paste the sender's text, that might show up if there's any history of the same thing.
    If you refund they mite be able to make a bank charchgeback and PayPal will just take the money agin from you.
    As others have said speak to PayPal support and ask them of any risks.

From reading online PayPal staff cannot refund the money as it is now yours. It was a gift from the sender, accident or not. The money is now legally yours.

I would consider refunding, but I would make sure there is no backfire on your end for refunding (potential scam - I doubt this. I think it's a genuine mistake). (edited)
    kos1c29/03/2022 09:51

As others have said speak to PayPal support and ask them of any risks. …As others have said speak to PayPal support and ask them of any risks. From reading online PayPal cannot refund the money as it is now yours. It was a gift from the sender, accident or not. The money is now legally yours. I would consider refunding, but I would make sure there is no backfire on your end for refunding (potential scam - I doubt this. I think it's a genuine mistake).

Just thinking aloud here, but from what you say, if the money can't be refunded, that means the op will need to actually pay the person the £40 with their own money. And then if the real bank account that provided the original £40 appears saying it was an unauthorised transaction, who returns the original £40? If it's the persons bank then op will be fine, but if it's paypal, then possibly the op will be out of pocket.
    If it was me, I would wait a while and refund the money later (much later, 2 or 3 months later).
    Pandamansays29/03/2022 10:30

Just thinking aloud here, but from what you say, if the money can't be …Just thinking aloud here, but from what you say, if the money can't be refunded, that means the op will need to actually pay the person the £40 with their own money. And then if the real bank account that provided the original £40 appears saying it was an unauthorised transaction, who returns the original £40? If it's the persons bank then op will be fine, but if it's paypal, then possibly the op will be out of pocket.If it was me, I would wait a while and refund the money later (much later, 2 or 3 months later).

op states it’s a friends and family payment which can’t be claimed back only refunded..

ccnp29/03/2022 08:33

No-one on here can commit 100% that this is not a scam of some …No-one on here can commit 100% that this is not a scam of some description. If nothing else, the sender will have confirmation that there is an active account holder on the other end of the email address. Who knows what info the sender has access to that could enable them to take further steps.My suggestion would be to talk to Paypal on Chat to get their commitment a) that it isn't a scam and b) that you face no risk from issuing the refund AND c) keep a copy of the conversation. For preference, I would ask Paypal to make the refund, not myself.

First they know it’s an active account as money and message went to it, how do you issue a refund on a refund.. (edited)
    I had a payment sent to me by mistake on Paypal a while back. I did not do anything with it, few days later paypal contacted me to refund it. Can't recall if it was friends and family or some other type.

Was a payment for a freelancer that did some IT job for an American firm. I know this was a genuine mistake though as there is another person that has the exact same email as mine but with .co.uk instead of .com on their hotmail email.

Just thinking aloud here, but from what you say, if the money can't be …Just thinking aloud here, but from what you say, if the money can't be refunded, that means the op will need to actually pay the person the £40 with their own money. And then if the real bank account that provided the original £40 appears saying it was an unauthorised transaction, who returns the original £40? If it's the persons bank then op will be fine, but if it's paypal, then possibly the op will be out of pocket.If it was me, I would wait a while and refund the money later (much later, 2 or 3 months later).

I think there's been a miss understanding.

I believe the OP said above they can hit refund to sender.

With my comment above. PayPal staff cannot go onto your account and issue a refund as this would count as a 3rd party using funds not associated to them (stealing).
    Others have suggested asking PayPal to get involved and let them deal with it, which they cannot do anything as it was a gift of funds.

You can only get in writing that if you refund the sender that it won't you aren't out of pocket.

Edit:
    I'm I had modified my previous comment to be clearer.

And seems the OP has solved the issue. (edited)

Ooh, this is a good call
    deleted192272229/03/2022 10:53

op states it’s a friends and family payment which can’t be claimed back onl …op states it’s a friends and family payment which can’t be claimed back only refunded..First they know it’s an active account as money and message went to it, how do you issue a refund on a refund..

I’ve seen in previous PayPal discussions, people have said this can be done
    Sounds dodgy to me. Wouldn't pay it until you have contacted PayPal.
    nandy29/03/2022 14:22

Sounds dodgy to me. Wouldn't pay it until you have contacted PayPal.

PayPal has the worst customer service don’t believe anything they say they just shove you off.
's avatar