Bluetooth OBD scanner for Audi A6

Posted 10th Jul 2023
Hi

Doe any one have any experience of using Bluetooth OBD scanner with Audi cars.

I have seen a few on eBay and AliExpress and you could use app to do fault finding, clearing errors etc.

I don't want to busy something that may not work or could cause damage.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Cheap OBD scanners will not cause any damage.

They just read the basic codes & you have to opportunity to delete them until the engine management system picks them up again.

So what you are doing is deleting information, any fault still exists.

These cheap readers most often give you the most basic of codes. Example on a Peugeot it might give you an error code that relates to incorrect exhaust gases. Which can mean one of 100 things wrong.

If you want a proper diagnosis the buy a proper reader for a couple of hundred making sure its software does Audis or take it to an auto electrician
    As above really, the cheapness of the device reflects in the limited information returned. One thing almost guaranteed to be missing is ABS fault codes, that's a very common omission.

For VAG cars I can recommend Carista or OBDEleven. They're not cheap but will give you so much more information. I bought OBDEleven and it works well, although I have been frustrated that some tasks are now behind a subscription. I changed my start/stop battery last year, and while the device could handle the reprogramming, it now costs more money.
    My friend had a generic error code & ended up replacing all the spark plugs all the engine sensors, used god knows how much fuel additive. Hundreds of pounds.

They took it to a one man band who had a proper scanner & it turned out to be the post cat converter Lambda sensor. The only sensor they couldn't reach so didn't replace.

This man diagnosed & fixed it for £160. Just because he had the right scanner & software for the make of car. (edited)
    Author
    This has been helpful, sort of, not to buy cheap generic Chinese knockoffs, one recommendation of veepeak, anything else..vcds

Thanks for all the help so far
    Don't get us wrong. You may plug it in & get the exact error code.

It is worth it just to give it a go with a generic reader BUT do not expect the miracle answer.

If you cannot google the code & get the exact answer then waste no more time & money. Get an auto electrician in either via your local garage or ask on facebook if anyone knows one.

Plus I wouldn't bother with a bluetooth one. I would buy one with a lead & handheld. They will be generic too. (edited)
    Can recommend veepeak. Have used it in my merc and audi with the 'car scanner elm obd2' app
    For vw/audi/seat/skoda, *the* tool is vcds.

not cheap, but it does pretty much everything.
    I remember VCDS when it was still VAGCOM, then when it moved into VCDS it was in a field of one. Now there are some that are equivalent in functionality but much cheaper.

It is still treated as 'the standard' though, for example OBDEleven can actually accept long coding that originally came from VAGCOM/VCDS.
    I have OBD 11.

As said, it's expensive and to make modifications you have to pay. Much easier to use than VCDS which I used to have. Anything which is pulled up is also sent to VW group as part of the deal that they have. I suppose that it give good information to them for any common problems that may occur.
    I Bought a used Audi A4 recently, went to plug in my cheapy Aliexpress BT OBDII in it and found the previous owner had left an OBDEleven device in the port
    Are you sure it isn't a tracker? They look the same.
    I thought it was the software that did the heavy lifting? Surely the codes captured are the same regarless of the hardware used - is it not the software used that then interprets the codes?
    There is a hardware element, or more specifically a firmware element.

Have a look at the ELM327 chip, en.wikipedia.org/wik…327. That's one of the most common chips used in third party scanners. I've often thought about getting an Arduino (or even an oscilloscope) on to the OBD output, given the low speed I reckon you could do a fair bit. Although given that it's a request/response type arrangement I suspect you still need to know what to ask for!
    If you have a Ford or mazda (based on Ford), I can recommend tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/ paired with forscan. I also use the adapter on a Smart with car scanner app.
's avatar