Buying used car

Posted 14th Jun 2023
Where’s the best places to purchase a small affordable car ?

Fb marketplace seems to have fake sellers and auto trader prices are slightly inflated
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's not Autotrader that's slightly inflated, it's just the market. I drive past several garages during the week, and every time I look on the forecourt I think 'that's expensive'. One recent one was a 2006 Astra for 3.5K. That same 3.5K got us a 3 year old Mazda in 2016. If we wanted that same 3 year old Mazda now we'd have to pay 13K+. OK, it's not a great comparison, but in terms of what you get for your money it's a bit scary.

Not too long ago anything over ten years old (or worse, over 100K miles) was effectively worthless. Not any more.

Ebay motors and Autotrader are usually where we shop, but I wouldn't buy anything that is 'delivered' or anything like that. The furthest I've travelled was 30 miles, mainly because the car I was after was a little rare (only about 500 were made according to howmanyleft). It took me six months to find that one, so I'd suggest patience over everything (if you can). (edited)
    I use Facebook and eBay most the time. I guess when buying from anywhere you have to be on the ball.
    How are we supposed to know what you mean by affordable? £2k? £5k? £8k?
    Can you recommend a couple of cars at each price point?

HUKD didn’t like the initial comment!
    Keep looking, walk up and down your local area, and have a look in car parks or the notice board in supermarkets/news agents. Facebook, eBay, auto trader. If your good with cars then an auction
    BCA car auctions trade only these days?
    Carless for around 18 months mainly due to the inflated prices but finally found a reasonable sale from a local garage having used ebay motors for the most part best of luck btw
    Was cheaper for me to buy brand new (Dacia, admittedly) via a bank loan.
    I was very fortunate selling my 2015, 98k miles insignia for 5800, then buying a late 2014, 90k miles insignia for 3200, there was a guy moving back to Australia, needed it sold. Great timing!!
    We eventually found our replacement car via car gurus . Speaking to quite a few local traders they told us how much auto trader was charging them and the majority said they didn’t list all of their cars on there any more, just a selection . Doesn’t necessarily help you with the price as they are all sky high , but might give you more options .
    Every website has its shady sellers. There is no "safe" place to buy a car. You take a gamble each time you view a car, private or garage.

Bought and sold cars on Facebook, eBay, Autotrader, and Gumtree. Mostly found on eBay tbf, as its the easiest tool to find a car.
    I find the scammers easy to spot. silly low prices and profiles that are either new or 100% not them in pictures. anything to good to be true probably is. I don’t even have a license yet hopefully ido in September I pass.

Good things to look out for are full descriptions of the car and model + features

Test drive welcome no delivery bs.

and phone number and location ect.
's avatar