Can I upgrade my small gaming PC? :)

Posted 8th Aug 2023
So I have a tiny SFF desktop that I've managed to shove a graphics card into, and turn into a vague gaming PC that manages to play Halo Infinite.

I'd like to see what I can upgrade it to - what sites can tell me what I can do with the existing PC?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You can use PCPartpicker (uk.pcpartpicker.com/), fill in the details that you want to keep and play around with part swaps to see about compatibilities. It's a fantastic website to check before you upgrade or build.

Won't be able to provide anything specific without knowing what you currently have. (edited)
    Rather than aiming for websites which can sometimes get it wrong, I would personally just open it up and look inside. See what motherboard model you have as a starting point. Then you can see what you have in there already and if there's any viable upgrade path like adding more/faster RAM, a newer/faster processor and such. Then you can check what power supply you have and see what you can do with the graphics card if you want to further upgrade it. Not only are you going to need a low profile GPU with the half size bracket, but also something fairly low for power requirements too.

You're probably going to be somewhat disappointed though. These systems tend to be quite limited for upgradability and if you do find options, they may cost more to achieve than you would with a standard ATX system where you have the full freedom of using all hardware available.
    I would personally just open it up and look inside. See what motherboard model you have as a starting point.

Just as an FYI, if you're on Windows you can see what MOBO you have by typing in "system information" and looking into the lines BaseBoard", gives you a good idea without having to physically do it yourself.
    System Requirements
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i5-4440.
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
    • Graphics: AMD RX 570 or Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti.
    • DirectX: Version 12.
    • Storage: 50 GB available space.

Assuming you have empty slot, PSU is powerful enough and all other requirement met.
    The GPU you need to look at is RX6400 LP or GTX 1650 LP

P.S. CPU-Z would tell you what is your existing spec. But you need to open the case and check PSU (edited)
    Once those details have been found you can use Crucial's web to list what upgrades are supported.
    Also if it's from a manufacturer you can visit their support site and enter the model number there to find out what options are available...
    You'd generally go about it by looking up the details of the existing parts to see which sizing/compatibility standards they follow.
's avatar