Cctv recommendations

Posted 11th Jul 2023
Looking to buy cctv camera setup but dont know what to go for. Was looking at something like reolink but regardless of brands there are so many variations it hard to keep track of which one is best bank for buck

Looking to get approx 4 camera, for privacy reasons would prefer it to have options to save locally but also be able check remotely once in a while. Not bothered about any AI features just want great quality image and night mode.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I installed an Annke system over a year ago and it's been very good. uk.annke.com/pro…tem
    The exact one I got isn't on the website. This is from my order info "H500 – 5MP Super HD 8 Channel 4-Camera PoE Security System with 2 TB HDD × 1"
    There's often codes, I think I got 30% off.

I have a 2tb HDD and that's enough for over 2 months of footage. The app is free and I can be in another country and scan though it very quickly, download footage to my phone or whatever.

Night vision is very good and it can pick up sound from far away.

If you're looking for wired CCTV I highly recommend POE (power over ethernet).
    Why Poe? I had poe after recommendations saying it's 'future proof' all I've found when upgrading my equipment the cost was higher than equivalent bnc.
    If you want great quality night time images then please do some background reading on Reolink cams.

You don’t mention a budget or if you want them wired?

My system is all wired IP cams, cams are Dahua and the NVR I use is Blue Iris, definitely not cheap, think for my 6 initial cams, wiring, desktop PC and network switch I must have spent close to around £1800 but the wife insisted she needed CCTV.

I’m not going to preach one brand over another but make sure you do lots of reading and buy cams based upon their image sensor size and night time performance and not solely on resolution. As I’ve said before, even a cheap £25 cam off Amazon will perform and look great during the day when there is plenty of light, what separates them is how good they are at night time captures.
    Author
    Im only really looking to spend upto around £500 s want to make sure i make most of it during this sale. Defo need to research
    I honestly wouldn’t waste your time/money on anything but the most basic of cameras for deterrent purposes. Nothing to see when they’ve got balaclavas on. I had a basic 4 camera 1tb HD installed for £400 and it’s done it’s job. Just makes them move onto the next house who doesn’t have cameras.
's avatar