Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

CORDLESS DRILL BATTERIES

Posted 11th Jul 2023
You know what it's like
The DRILL is in perfect condition, but the BATTERY is dead, well I have 3, could be 4 such problems, and I was wondering if anybody had ANY idea where I could get a replacement battery, AKA a LONG SHOT I know, but hey, yer never can tell, s od's law being what it is? I dump em today, and see an advert fer the muggers tomorrow

The below Draper 12v DRILL is a CD120VK

Yes, I'm sure it would be cheaper to bite the bullet, un buy a new drill/driver, but I have a replacement, I just hate ter see a good tool go ter waste, so I thought this was worth a shot.

Cheers all
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    This is why I moved (gradually) to Ryobi. Their one+ range batteries fit every device from my detail sander up to my mower and pole chainsaw.
    They also retro fit devices going back 20 years.
    I appreciate that they're not cheap and not for everyone but if like me you're a big garden and you're a keen DIYer it means that I have 10 devices but only 4 batteries.
    There are battery adapters out there to connect newer batteries to older devices. But you'd have to buy a new charger for the battery. And considering a drill body is the cheapest part of the whole thing it's often cheaper to just buy a new drill instead of battery + charger + adapter.

I agree with MM though, that looks so old that disposal is probably the best thing for it. A newer drill will be lighter, more powerful and longer lasting. Of course, when that drill loses it's battery in 2-3 years time, you'll be back in the same position!
    Lion are much better. I have a green bosch range combi that is still going on its original battery. That was bought in 2014 and has had periods of up to 12 months without being used.

The drill has now given out before the battery with the torque virtually non existent on it. Replaced with a Blue pro range combi now that I do a lot more DIY than I used to as well as a leaf blower and SDS with the same battety range.
    As others have said you are probably best to buy a new drill - perhaps look into the Parkside range from Lidl as they are cheap and cheerful

If you really want to save that one then you might be able to rebuild the existing battery with new cells. It’s likely to be using NiCad or NiMH cells so not quite as dangerous as repairing a lithium ion battery but unless you have experience with electronics then it would not be straightforward
    Looks like a really old Lead Acid battery to me.

Best off in the dump to be honest. 18V Lion is much much better.
    Author
    I told myself the SAME thing a couple of years ago, but I always have that nagging feeling, that the day after I dump it...well, you can guess the rest.

Your help and advice is much appreciated all
    That looks old enough to be NiCd.

There use to be online stores that did compatible batteries (some good, some v bad), don't know if any still exist and as its a draper rather than a premium brand there'd probably be much less demand, and it might not be any cheaper than a new drill. Rebuilding the battery pack with new cells probably won't be that cheap either and you'll need to be able to at least solder well, or preferably have a spot welder for battery tabs.

Maybe you could mount a lamp holder on it and turn it into a table lamp (edited)
    Author
    I've SEEN the light, hallelujah I'm gonna keep it as a paperweight/part time DOOR stop
    Looks like a Ni-Cd battery to me ... I've got a 24v whizzy gun that's fine but batteries are shot ... There are tagged Ni-Cd batteries that would be ok to replace the existing ones (on ali express) but in 2 years time I'd be in the same situation and I don't like electrickery enough to try & use Li-ion batteries to create a battery for it.

Seems like it's time for a new one.
's avatar