Cordless, Portable wireless CCTV

Posted 22nd Aug 2023
Is there suck thing as a portable cordless/battery powered wifi/bluetooth cctv camera, like a portable speaker but with a live video stream capability?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Ring cameras are probably the simplest like that.
    I can see live video on my TP-link CCTV.
    Author
    i want something that i can take with me at home, we live remote, need something that will connect to my phone with live motion
    i want something that i can take with me at home, we live remote, need something that will connect to my phone with live motion
    I don't fully understand the requirement.
    Any (all?) battery-powered wifi security cams will produce a live vid stream via, er, wifi and battery power.

Battery powered cams are typically in sleep state until either:
    the user accesses the cam remotely
    or
    the cam senses movement then starts streaming/recording, returning to sleep state when the detected movement ceases.

To reduce the possibility of batteries being exhausted prematurely there may (will?) be a limit on the maximum duration of any one continuous stream.

Likely cheapest indoor/outdoor battery-powered wifi cam at time of this post is the Howiray model at £19.99 via Amazon on-page 50% discount tickbox.
    Great cam with inclusive freebie ongoing rolling cloud-stored movement-triggered footage (plus integral microSD storage).
    Hilarious package-sensing AI features via optional sub.
    Amazon ASIN = B09VXRXPFF
    Keepa price history doesn't seem to recognise the current 50% discount / £19.99 price:
    keepa.com/
    Author
    thank you, i cannot find the one you mention
    Author
    found it
    ...like a portable speaker but with a live video stream capability?
    ...i want something that i can take with me at home

I can't help thinking there is some ambiguity as it sounds like you are requesting suggestions for a portable monitor to display video,
    rather than a camera that is left somewhere to capture video, where the captured footage will be displayed/viewed elsewhere (typically where the captured footage is displayed on a phone).
    Author
    For example. When I'm in the office I cannot see the entrance. I cannot add anything to our network. I would like a portable camera I can place on the wall so when someone comes ill be alerted and can see who it is
    The limiting factor from the stated conditions is
    I cannot add anything to our network
    Whilst it seems unusual that the operator of a network would decline to permit a security device to be added to a network, it is respected, especially if the security device may compromise the integrity of the network.

Likely two options in those circumstances but the most flexible solution that does not require a local wired nor wifi connection would be a battery-powered camera that uses cellular 3G/4G network SIM card.
    Live view / footage would be viewed on your phone and/or another dedicated device, say either another phone or a tablet.
    Your phone would be notified on movement detection.
    It would not be practical to have a 24/7 feed on permanent display.

Example items:
    £80 fulfilled Amazon (via on-page discount checkbox). Search Amazon for ASIN = B0C57HB3JB
    Keepa does not record the discount at keepa.com/
    Large 18,000mAh battery (no obligation to use the solar panel);
    OK mobile app (possibly also available for Windows);
    mount adaption options may require thought.
    Or via Aliexpress whilst remembering to select 4G option(s) on product pages:
    1005004029403946 £72 inc VAT; OK 5,200mAh battery spec; respected app; simple mount adaption options
    1005004819351865 £76 inc VAT; decent 10,400mAh battery spec; reasonable app; simple mount adaption options.
    Mount adaptation references allows for your indication that you want the source camera to be portable, so considers ease of what additional hardware would be required to facilitate frequent mount / dismounts.

Amazon-fulfilled device is stated to cover major UK networks;
    but check what cellular network operators / frequency bands any device uses.

Choice of SIM depends on the location(s) where the cam will be sited.
    If Voda & EE have decent signal at the location(s), swap between the onging unlimited data is £9-£10/m no contract short-term promos via Lebara / Lyca (unlikely you would hit Lyca/EE unlimited limit of 600GB/m).
    The Amazon-fulfilled device includes a SIM with initial 300MB data.

Other option would be a battery camera that generates its own hotspot, but obvious limitation would be
    monitoring would only be available within the very limited range of the camera's hotspot, so presumed not to be viable.
's avatar