Fibre broadband - will they modify the property?

Posted 8th Aug 2023
Hi,

Trying to order NOW fibre broadband.

The landlord is extremely a**l about modifying the property so he said:

“I must reinforce, NO NEW DRILLING ON THE EXTORIOR OR INTERIOR OF THE PROPERTY SHOULD TAKE PLACE UNLESS AUTHROISED TO DO SO BY THE LANDLORD.

If this is an action that is needed by the engineers, please contact me.”

So - do the engineers poke holes, dig, or otherwise modify the property in any form or the other when installing?

Appreciate any help. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    They usually have to drill a hole in the wall from the outside, further details here - openreach.com/hel…ist
    Author
    Argh , the landlord probably won’t allow it.
    They only have to drill if it’s FTTP broadband or there are no traditional phone sockets in the house 
    They didn’t need to drill a hole for me they used my previous POTs line hole
    Removed the front plate of the old telephone line and placed the new router on there.
    I'd community fibre is available I would recommend it only pay £18.75 for 500mbps
    Author
    Not available in our region
    If the landlord doesn't want holes drilling in the walls, and you want faster speeds than FTTC can deliver, remember 5G Home broadband is an option. Places with good 5G signal and minimal network congestion can get in excess of gigabit speeds for £20 a month:

three.co.uk/sho…112
    Author
    Yeah, no 5G in my area
    Worth checking with your landlord all the same. He/She might view this as something that will improve the letting potential of the property going forward. I can understand banning unauthorised drilling of random holes in the property - quite reasonable.
    Author
    Yeah , I guessed as much. But since I’m getting ‘fake’ fibre broadband (now I know better 🤦🏻‍♂️), that works off a landline, I don’t think I’ll have to poke any holes.
's avatar