Freeview TV guide?

Posted 5th Apr 2023
Would appreciate some thoughts on this from those in the know.

Coming to the end of contract with Sky, and although we’ll have the conversation, I’ve got the family onboard with just having decent broadband (we’ve got Cityfibre down our street now) and using the various apps for catch-up, possibly supported by Now TV occasionally for the sky channels.

I should say here that we have an android TV, so we have the various apps that would be used for freeview.

What would be nice to have is just a basic TV guide so we can still channel surf, instead of having to go in and out of separate apps. My wife would still like the ability to record programmes, but I think we can get round just using catch up if she can just flick channels.

Is there a simple guide that does all that via Android, or should I invest in a freeview box? We’re away from home at present and she’s got used to using a Manhattan freesat box.

Sky have offered their essentials package for £5 a month, but not sure I see the point when all of that can be obtained by separate apps.

Have been a customer of Sky for 17 years, so I’m a little unclear on the best way to do this, which is very simple for the family to operate.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The only upside to the Sky essentials package is the guide and recording/pause etc facilities on the freesat channels (believe you get a few more extra channels on freesat compared to freeview). I've used it for a few months while waiting on deals as I was transitioning from Plan A to Plan B
    Every TV with integral Freeview tuner has a Freeview guide.

Panachronic remote control handsets provide access to the guide via a button unimaginatively identified as "GUIDE",
    sometimes with a number 19 hanging off the righthand side of the remote
    49927239-1Jcpj.jpg
    Most Panachronic TVs permit programme recording by inserting a USB stick / drive into a USB port on the TV.
    This provides a basic yet completely functional recording option, but has limitations on what you can and can't do with the TV whilst recording is in progress.

For hardcore simultaneous 4-channel recording plus simultaneous playback you need to throw about £98 at a BT TV Pro 4k box - anything less is inviting death by verbal from your partner.
    2 yr warranty for that box from Cex, or pay more for no warranty from some chancer on the bay.
    uk.webuy.com/pro…87a
    Cheap out with the alternative grade B option if saving £26 is not critical to saving your marriage
    uk.webuy.com/pro…87b
    I use Radio Times.com where you can select just the channels you watch, it's so much easier, and there is more info on programmes.
    What TV do you have - any one built in the last 10 years should have a freeview tuner with guide built in
    Author
    Hi, it’s a Panasonic- only purchased last year. Sorry, what would I need to look for in terms of a guide?
    Author
    Thanks all, really appreciate the responses. Away from home at moment, so will try these out when I get back
    What's this sky essentials package? It's that basically Freesat recording for £5pm?

Guessing that's only if you have the old school stuff not Q?
's avatar