Kindle purchase from CEX

Posted 13th Jul 2023
Looking to trade a Kindle Fire (2015) for a Kindle e-reader for my 15 year old who is taking an interest in reading again and looking to take a Kindle away with her on holiday.

I'm on a limited budget of about £40-£50 and looking to buy from CEX, the question is should I go for an old Kindle Paperwhite or slightly newer Kindle basic model? At the moment, she's only had experience reading a Kindle Touch (approx 2012) so guessing either would be an improvement!!
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Guess it depends on the age - the current base Kindle is so similar to the Paperwhite, it's becoming difficult to justify the extra expense imho.

But depending on the age, the Paperwhite used to have a higher number of pixels on the screen, but for most people the bog standard one is fine. I'd be more concerned about battery life.
    Does she have a smartphone? There is a Kindle app which is pretty decent and may be an alternative.
    Author
    She does but I would like to encourage her away from that!
    You will still be spending money buying the books. However, if your local library participates in lending electronic copies through the Libby or Overdrive app, then this will be a lot cheaper, assuming there is a smartphone or tablet already available. Mine does and I love it; the bonus is our library also offers a lot of newspapers & magazines through the PressReader app.

Either way, it is a great thing she is interested in reading. (edited)
    Forgot about the buying bit. With a Kindle you get a licence to read the books. Certainly, in the old days, you owned the book when you bought from Kobo (and I think Google) - so that might come in to your thoughts as well. And again, iirc, Kindle doesn't support library books unlike some of the other platforms.
's avatar
Top Merchants