Lost parcel turned up

Posted 12th Dec 2021
Was waiting for a parcel from eBay dispatched using Hermes. 2 weeks had gone past since item dispatch and tracking said still at depot being processed. Contacted eBay retailer for an order update in case they had a upto date tracking details.

I know this time of year/COVID is busy and things take a bit more time. Retailer got back to me and said they had contacted Hermes and item had been lost so retailer gave me a refund.

Lo and behold item has been delivered this morning out of the blue. Going to contact retailer and say that is has been delivered as tracking says now been delivered see what they want to do.

What would you kind people do?
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I would let the seller know. It would be unethical not to.
    Offer retailer a PayPal gift. It's upto them to refuse. That way you can at least make someone's day.
    Just contact them and offer to repay the refund. They have the tracking info, so they can see it's been delivered too. (edited)
    I've had this happen before, I then tell the seller, and say I will order another buy do not ship it out, that way its all good
    Depends on the retailer and value of the product. If it's low value, they'll just let you keep it and that's that. If it's a smaller seller and a product with some value I'd expect them to want you to refund the refund, rather than sending it back and going through the faff of postage.
    Of its curry's, keep it
    if it’s a big retailer who post loads of items per day, they probably won’t even bother to check if it’s been delivered, having already been told it’s lost.

unless of course it was an expensive item, then they’d probably keep an eye on it.

if it’s say £10, they probably wouldn’t notice it.
    Author
    Mendoza12/12/2021 12:42

if it’s a big retailer who post loads of items per day, they probably w …if it’s a big retailer who post loads of items per day, they probably won’t even bother to check if it’s been delivered, having already been told it’s lost.unless of course it was an expensive item, then they’d probably keep an eye on it.if it’s say £10, they probably wouldn’t notice it.

Item was only £16 from a large retailer. (edited)
    They will tell you to keep it if it's a big retailer.
    safctopcat12/12/2021 12:44

..item has been delivered this morning out of the blue. What would you …..item has been delivered this morning out of the blue. What would you kind people do?

Next time I didn't have a parcel not undelivered by Hermes I would check in the blue.
    If the retailer wants it back ask for a return label. Most the time the retailer will either say keep it or return it. But I wouldn't worry to much over this as the mistake is not yours.
's avatar