Recommend a wifi USB adapter for tethering to desktop from a mobile

Posted 27th Jul 2023
I need to buy a wifi USB adapter for tethering to a desktop, from a mobile.
So much choice and variable reviews, I was hoping somebody with experience could recommend one.
I was thinking of spending £15-£25. Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For tethering to a single device, a USB cable would be cheaper, more reliable and have benefit of (likely) charging the phone at same time.
    May even be zero cost if you already have a cable.

Assuming W10/W11, random example of USB tether direct from phone config:
    lifewire.com/set…419
    Author
    Thanks.
    I tried this first and although it did charge my phone, it would not recognise there was a USB device attached when I sent to settings.
    Not sure what you mean by tethering - to me that seems to suggest using the PC as a hotspot...?
    I spent about £5 on a cheap one on eBay and it’s been fine.

If you can use a usb cable for it it would be better
    You can pick up a USB dongle for around £10 - the more expensive ones tend to have better driver support. As everyone else has mentioned it might be better to use a cable to your phone.
    Also the way you have worded your question sounds like you want to use the desktop as a hotspot?

FWIW I used my old Sony Xperia J & Samsung something (the one with the weird USB socket) as an internet connection via a wired connection and enabled the hotspot too (so other devices could connect to the phones internet connection - which at the time was provided by the 1p Lebara SIM!)
    Author
    Thanks for the replies and sorry if I worded it incorrectly. I want to use my mobile as a hotspot to the desktop
    How old is the desktop is it doesn't have WiFi?
's avatar