Selling on Gumtree. WhatsApp message asking for delivery

Posted 17th Apr 2021
my first time posting on Gumtree and within minutes i received a whatsapp messge

"hello, I saw your ad for sale, are you still selling? i want to clarify right away if gumtree delivery is right for you. you know how it works"

its a kids bike, £20.

but didn't even know gumtree did delivery (they do i have just found out with Parcel to go) but still not sure how legit this is? Any knowledge able people on here can give advice?
Community Updates
Many don’t realise that Gumtree actually offers a delivery service in partnership with Parcel2Go. First things first, what is Gumtree Parcel2Go delivery? Well, Gumtree Door to Door means that people who aren’t close enough to pick up an item can get it delivered to their doorstep. Gumtree sellers can therefore choose from more potential buyers as they don’t need to be living in the same town to buy something from Gumtree. Delivery fees start from £2.25 and range in price depending on the size of the parcel.

51030-yIWJW.jpg
What is Parcel2Go?

Parcel2Go is one of the UK’s leading delivery companies, with 10 years of experience in delivering parcels across the country and abroad. Gumtree works with Parcel2Go in order to offer a delivery service that allows buyers a safe, contactless purchase as well as the opportunity to track their parcel. Parcel2Go work with some of the best couriers such as Hermes, UPS and DHL in order to ensure a swift delivery.

Gumtree Delivery Scams Whatsapp

Even though Gumtree partners with Parcel2Go, there have been a lot of Gumtree Whatsapp message scams.

Usually, the scams go something like this: you will list something on Gumtree, then you might receive a Gumtree delivery scam Whatsapp message enquiring about the item. This potential buyer will ask to buy it and for it to be delivered. Then comes the scam, they will then send a link to what appears to be the Gumtree website, and you will be asked to put in your bank details to arrange the sale of your item but this is all fake. This is how scammers attempt to steal your bank details.

Fraud via a Gumtree scam Whatsapp message has been a popular way for imposters to steal your money as they play on some Gumtree users’ lack of knowledge about Gumtree’s delivery service. Therefore it is best to head to the Gumtree or Parcel2Go website and read up on their partnership for delivery services, this way you will have all the information you need to spot a scam.

51030-wKflt.jpg
How to Spot Gumtree Parcel2Go scams

There have been so many people who have experienced Gumtree scam Whatsapp messages that Gumtree have a warning on their website detailing the potential scam. Gumtree states that the best way to spot a Gumtree Parcel2Go scam is to check that the URL you’re using has “gumtree.com” at the beginning.

Also, you should communicate with potential buyers on Gumtree Messenger as this is the best way to ensure a safe and secure transaction. Do not use Whatsapp when organising a potential Gumtree buyer to prevent yourself from falling victim to Gumtree courier scams WhatsApp messages.
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just wait for a real person to show interest by coming round, liking, paying and taking it away (edited)
    grommachine17/04/2021 16:42

ok i just received a what app message from a +33 number! for a scooter I'm …ok i just received a what app message from a +33 number! for a scooter I'm selling as well asking "if my product is in stock"

Block the numbers and do what I said above
    Cash is king! No money no honey
    50% will be time wasters and no shows, learn to spot them quickly to dismiss them.
    Talking to them about product / item should show they don't have a clue!

Watch out for the hacked PayPal, They pay you and they collect then Paypal take money back!
    Give Sphock a try, gumtree is not what it once was.
    Usually the right person comes along & deal done happily!
    Author
    Antsaves17/04/2021 17:25

OK thanks for the advice.
    I still use gumtree and sold my bike in there this morning. But I don’t put my phone number on there, just email and there are kids of scammers/ idiots on there
    Antsaves17/04/2021 17:25

I use shpock now, cash on collection, not the greatest app, but lots of users
    Gumtree is full of time wasters with nothing else to do with there sad lives (edited)
    Cash only on pickup
    I sell on gumtree but could try shpock now on. I always get a random call claiming I have been in an accident everytime I post so changed my name there to see who calls me by my real name and who by my fake name! But yeah anything involving delivery is usually a scam. I always get to know them by asking what they want to play with the pc I am selling etc and as above it stops the fakes. You can build a. Rapport with genuine people. One person sent me a pc case in an uber after I paid half up front as he lived too far and was easier than meeting at the tube near him
    I've literally just had the same, two ads went up yesterday, two separate WhatsApp messages asking the same delivery style. The address on the first one was fake so I've just blocked both. The weblink f
    To revive the payment asked if I wanted to translate from Russian so that was the biggest clue
    I had the exact same message after posting an item for sale on gumtree earlier today. It just didn’t feel genuine; especially when they had ‘cash waiting’ which was more then they would need to buy the item brand new!
    Thank you for the comments it's a good thing I checked. Just had this WhatsApp message. 50174187-z4ISv.jpg
    They sent a link for my card detail. I told the Gumtree don't have payment system and i only accept cast or PayPal. Needless to say they vanished.
    Author
    ok i just received a what app message from a +33 number! for a scooter I'm selling as well asking "if my product is in stock"
    I stopped providing mobile numbers now as open to spam. I know its nicked from gumtree as I give a different name for when I'm selling and they call me by that name

So communication through gumtree messaging only.
    Author
    yeah that's what i expected. Seems very suspicious, but then found out about partnership between gumtree and Parcel2go. was not sure if its just because I'm out of the loop. but thanks for the reassurance (reminder not to be an idiot) there does not appear to be much protection apart from that Paypal would offer. (Gumtree just seem to want screen shots for proof of postage.
    Author
    Yeah phone no now removed.
    Author
    dpsrlls05/05/2021 14:11

I've literally just had the same, two ads went up yesterday, two separate …I've literally just had the same, two ads went up yesterday, two separate WhatsApp messages asking the same delivery style. The address on the first one was fake so I've just blocked both. The weblink fTo revive the payment asked if I wanted to translate from Russian so that was the biggest clue

Yeah I recived a few more After a few more days. I did sell, a week later I was messaged through gumtree app and the guy collected.
    I am selling a car on gumtree and a guy contacted me on WhatsApp claiming to be disabled and wanting to send a courier after he has paid through PayPal...I am not happy with anything but cash...so I am going to ask him to send the £2400 for the car with the courier and then we can fill in the v5....is it a scam?
's avatar
Top Merchants