Washing machine advice needed please

Posted 31st Jul 2023
Hello,

It looks like the drain pump in my 9 year-old Samsung washing machine needs replacing but sadly too expensive to get it done professionally. I'm disabled so can't lift the washing machine or I would try and do it myself as the part itself is inexpensive.

Could anyone please advise on a solid washing machine brand/model/price range they can recommend? Mine is 8kg so looking for something similar.

Also, I would need to order it from a retailer that offers disconnection/removal and connection service. Do you know of any retailers that offer the whole package?

Many thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks very much for the link. Mine is pretty much the same model just 8kg and 10 years older.
    AO offer a disconnection service - Disconnection – Appliances | Remove & Recycle – ao.com

They also offer a price match against competitors. Can't advise on particular model for you but I have an LG F4V909BTSE. Paid about £400 a few months ago and happy with it so far.
    Author
    Thanks very much for this. I've not had the best experience with AO but will have a look.
    Thanks also for recommending your model. I've never used LG so will check it out. I tend to stick to brands I know ie Samsung so getting personal recommendations is really helpful.
    Euronics - look online and see if you have one near you. They offer good, helpful advice as well as delivery, fitting and removal - obviously there will be a charge for this. They might even know someone who would undertake the repair?

Is it worth stating your rough location in case someone can recommend an engineer?
    Author
    Thanks very much for this. I've not heard of Euronics so will look it up.

I'm based in London. I requested a quote for a home repair but it was around £150. The machine cost me £450 inc delivery and installation nearly 10 years ago so sadly not worth repairing particularly as the part itself is inexpensive :'(
    I prefer Bosch washing machine. I like Currys as they tend to deliver quickly and they do the install and removal at reasonable price.
    Author
    Thanks for this. I've never bought Bosch products or large appliances from Currys so good to know that they're both reliable.
    Most retailers seem to offer the services for a fee.
    I am really annoyed as I bought a new washing machine back in July 2022. Within a month it started making noises and I ignored it. Didn't use it for a about 6 months. Next use the noise got worse, but the clothes came out washed so I ignored it. The thing is still under warranty, but I can't be bothered trying to arrange warranty (it was bought from Argos). After reading up about it - it's a known issue. The bolts that hold the cement block work loose, sadly in my case it's lead to it puncturing the hard plastic drum, water must somehow get to the electrics and the power gets tripped. So annoyed. Also the bearings appear to have gone it (the previous one the bearings rusted up)
    I don't think there is such a thing as a "solid washing machine brand/model/price range", they all fail, unless you want to go old school with a mechanical mangle!

50696644-QkdCU.jpg (edited)
    Author
    Gosh! Hope you can get it sorted. It's only 1 year old and barely been used so do contact Argos if you can.

I've been quite lucky with mine as it's lasted me 9 years with regular maintenance. I only had to replace the gasket a few years ago which I managed to do myself. I do think some brands/models are better than others though.

Good luck with yours!
    Which part of London are in - south at all?
's avatar